What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I upgraded to 378_50 the other day and performed a factory reset and reconfigured everything manually and noticed Smart QOS is not working.

Here's the issue - On the main QOS page no matter what I set as my maximum download speed, I always get full speed downloads to all devices in my house.

Those values are not for bandwidth throttling, they are strictly for calculations, so the various QoS rules know how much bandwidth to allocate to each class, as they are configured as percentages. They are not used for bandwidth capping.

Hi

Is it safe to disable ipv6 firewall?

Only I'm having connection problems with my wireless printer. A page or so back someone mentioned they disabled this to fix a similar issue.

It might have nothing to do with my problem but its worth a try, I just want to make sure its ok to do so?

Also was ipv6 firewall disabled by default in previous firmwares?

many thanks

The IPv6 firewall always defaulted to enabled.

It seems odd that your printer would have issues with it enabled, since this only firewalls the inbound connections coming from the WAN.

You should rather try to create a rule to allow your printer traffic in if it's really the cause of your problem.

Hi

Thanks very much, do you happen to have a guide on how to create a rule, sorry I'm very new to this!

Thanks

Those values are not for bandwidth throttling, they are strictly for calculations, so the various QoS rules know how much bandwidth to allocate to each class, as they are configured as percentages. They are not used for bandwidth capping.

Understood, and that translates to the user-defined priorities screen, where all classes have a 100% download value, so every class still has 100% download. I understand he logic but I'm not sure why when I changed those values in past it did affect speedtest speeds.

My problem remains though, with 378_50 (I have upgrade at every new release over the past 1+ year - and I reset and manually reconfigure every time) when one system that's not defined in the QOS rules is consuming all bandwidth, everything else suffers including those with rules on High and Highest. Same settings I've been using for over a year.

2 things to try.

1. Check Adaptive QoS is enabled (I found using traditional QoS makes the traffic analyser put everything in general), if it is, try switching QoS off and back on.

2. What I had to do to resolve same symptoms was do a factory reset, Merlin advices it AFTER flashing for good reason. Manually readd your settings, do not restore a backup.

I did the factory reset, got the app analysis back - but then after pressing Apply - either on the QoS page or the Bandwidth Monitor page, can't remember - back to only "General" traffic ??

So far this 378.50 has been running great on my 87U. I have turned off QOS as I have noticed some issues with the speed dropping a lot, that other users who have used QOS suffer from.

I would like to try the experimental build however. If I did a factory reset after putting .50 on, I assume I don't need to do another factory reset putting the experimental build on?

My apologies for not being able to better diagnose my issue, but I think I'm having some NAT loopback issues with my AC68U and 378.50. On the previous beta, I didn't have this problem. A search within this thread seems to be NAT loopback comments related to the AC87U...

Here's what's going on. The Plex app on my Samsung TV is not as capable as other apps. When it wants to access my local server, from what I understand, it must access the external IP. Thus, NAT loopback should intercept it and route it to the correct internal IP, right?. Well, every day the connectivity with my local server seems to drop. The only thing that works is toggling a setting on the router (disabling IPv6 firewall, for example, or IGMP snooping). Then, it will work for about a day.

In any case, it's strange, and took me a long time to figure out it was my router, considering I've never encountered this issue before. I did a fresh config on the .50 beta, but not on the full version. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for me.

Thanks!

Loosing custom configurations in mangle table

As per the log below, it seems the router restarts nat rules after scanning the USB disk. Is this suppose to happen?

LOG:
Feb 21 11:28:25 rc_service: httpd 626:notify_rc start_diskscan
Feb 21 11:28:25 disk monitor: start...
Feb 21 11:28:25 disk monitor: unmount partition
Feb 21 11:28:26 syslog: USB partition unmounted from /tmp/mnt/WDGreen2T
Feb 21 11:28:26 disk monitor: scan partition
Feb 21 11:28:41 disk monitor: re-mount partition
Feb 21 11:28:41 syslog: USB /dev/sda1(ntfs) failed to mount at the first try!
Feb 21 11:28:41 kernel: tntfs: fail_safe is enabled
Feb 21 11:28:41 kernel: tntfs info: NTFS volume name 'WDGreen2T', version 3.1 (cluster_size 4096, PAGE_CACHE_SIZE 4096).
Feb 21 11:28:43 syslog: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/WDGreen2T
Feb 21 11:28:43 rc_service: disk_monitor 831:notify_rc start_samba
Feb 21 11:28:43 rc_service: disk_monitor 831:notify_rc start_ftpd
Feb 21 11:28:43 rc_service: waitting "start_samba" via disk_monitor ...
Feb 21 11:28:43 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Feb 21 11:28:45 Samba Server: daemon is started
Feb 21 11:28:45 smbd[8203]: [2015/02/21 11:28:45.454664, 0] lib/pidfile.c:146(pidfile_create)
Feb 21 11:28:45 smbd[8203]: ERROR: smbd is already running. File /var/run/samba/smbd.pid exists and process id 7405 is running.
Feb 21 11:28:46 rc_service: disk_monitor 831:notify_rc start_dms
Feb 21 11:28:46 rc_service: waitting "start_ftpd" via disk_monitor ...
Feb 21 11:28:46 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_0_ppp0_vlan2)!

Of course, the start-firewall custom scripts is also called.
I was able to reproduce the behavior a few times.

My problem remains though, with 378_50 (I have upgrade at every new release over the past 1+ year - and I reset and manually reconfigure every time) when one system that's not defined in the QOS rules is consuming all bandwidth, everything else suffers including those with rules on High and Highest. Same settings I've been using for over a year.

You're right! Same problem for me. I've tried to download the Ubuntu torrent and everything else slows to crawl, web pages take ages to load.
It seems Asus screwed up QoS with this release.

Just had to restart both my 68u's, ones the router ones the AP as they refused to allow any network traffic between LAN PC's.

Internet traffic was fine.

Anyone else had this?

Just had to restart both my 68u's, ones the router ones the AP as they refused to allow any network traffic between LAN PC's.

Internet traffic was fine.

Anyone else had this?

It happens to me that if I open network places I don't see any lan pc. I only see the router, even though its usb drive doesn't appear (i.e. in network places the router appears but if I open it it's empty).
Is it the same as you had?

It happens to me that if I open network places I don't see any lan pc. I only see the router, even though its usb drive doesn't appear (i.e. in network places the router appears but if I open it it's empty).
Is it the same as you had?

not empty, but not accessible.

not empty, but not accessible.

This happens to me about half the times when I reboot. When it doesn't work I've checked the file /etc/smb.conf and I've seen it's incomplete (much shorter than when it works). That file is dynamically created at boot, but sometimes it isn't created as it should be, apparently.

Did you have the problem from the beginning (i.e. immediately after boot) or did it take place later? If the latter, we aren't talking about the same issue, I think.

Hi guys.

i use the merlin firmware for the begiunning i guess first on my n66u and now on my ac87u

but since last update i have connection problems.

every day my connection is lost.. no access on wan (none of the ipcamera's work or my ftp server, and also my nas is not reaschable)

also the 5GHz wifi drops very often.

i did a full reset before and after is installed the xxx.50 update but it keeps doing the same (i dind't restore anything i manualy configurated everything)

any help? maybe i am doing something wrong.

Sorry for my bad english.. i did my best

So far this 378.50 has been running great on my 87U. I have turned off QOS as I have noticed some issues with the speed dropping a lot, that other users who have used QOS suffer from.

I would like to try the experimental build however. If I did a factory reset after putting .50 on, I assume I don't need to do another factory reset putting the experimental build on?

The only difference in the experimental build are at the webui level, so no need to do a factory default reset when switching back and forth between the two on the RT-AC87U.

Hey guys, I understand we have to do a Factory Default Reset, coming from 49_5. Is it okay to use the GUI at ADMINISTRATION/Restore/Save/Upload Setting Factory default Restore. Or does one have to use the WPS button or Reset button on the RT-AC66U?

20pd8jn.jpg

Hey guys, I understand we have to do a Factory Default Reset, coming from 49_5. Is it okay to use the GUI at ADMINISTRATION/Restore/Save/Upload Setting Factory default Restore. Or does one have to use the WPS button or Reset button on the RT-AC66U?

20pd8jn.jpg

Either method will work

Internetspeed issue

Hi,

Since ~3 days I found out that I have much slower internet speed then I should.
The download speed was ~50% of the 150 MBit, the Upload slightly below the 15 MBit (~13 MBit). Today I rechecked the cables (had an issues with loose connection in the past), but nothing changed... :confused:

Now I could (finally) reboot the main router without interrupting online acttivites and: the speed is back to normal - as shown here http://www.speedtest.net/result/4160870229.png

It's back to full 150 MBit download and full 15 MBit upload!

I just wanted to give a heads up on this, as I never before hat an issue like this with the router(s) - I will continue to observe it and report back if it happens again!

By the way: I have full Gigabit cabling in my flat (actually it is CAT6a for 10-Gigabit), which works great for all cable connected devices.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: The new "Adaptive QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" was not helpfull at all, as the pointers jumped up and down and showing crazy postitive and negative(!) values!

Last edited:
From reading this gathering some people are have issue with 5g on this build on the ac66u?

I use both 5ghz and 2ghz in my home device that can use 5g use it rest use 2ghz

Hi,

Since ~3 days I found out that I have much slower internet speed then I should.
The download speed was ~50% of the 150 MBit, the Upload slightly below the 15 MBit (~13 MBit). Today I rechecked the cables (had an issues with loose connection in the past), but nothing changed... :confused:

Now I could (finally) reboot the router without interrupting online acttivites and: the speed is back to normal - as shown here
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4160870229.png

Full 150 MBit download and full 15 MBit upload!

I just wanted to give a heads up on this, as I never before hat an issue like this with the router(s) - I will continute to observe it and report back if it happens again!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

By the way: The new "Adaptive QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" was not helpfull at all, as the pointers jumped up and down and showing crazy postitive and negative(!) values!

I only get my 120+ down mbit if i turn off QOS on my AC66U other wise i seem to be caping around 105-110mbit with QOS on seeing cpu start to max 100% out around those speeds with QOS on nor is it the HW acc being disabled the reason of that cap as i could disable HW acc and disable QOS and cpu barely breaks sweat 120+ mbit talking 40% usage at best.

I had few time where my wifi would slow down on my router in which case i would restart it and it would be fine agian, there for i made cron job to reboot the router once week. never had that issue on wired though,

Last edited:
This happens to me about half the times when I reboot. When it doesn't work I've checked the file /etc/smb.conf and I've seen it's incomplete (much shorter than when it works). That file is dynamically created at boot, but sometimes it isn't created as it should be, apparently.

Did you have the problem from the beginning (i.e. immediately after boot) or did it take place later? If the latter, we aren't talking about the same issue, I think.
from the beginning I expect, ignored it the 1st time and put it down to the PC needing a reboot.