What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the reply.
And sorry to disturb

RT-AC87U owners:

I don't have the newest GPL code from Asus yet, however I was able to extract the Quantenna firmware from their recent beta release (378_4608) and to transplant it on top of 378.51. This updated Quantenna environment included at least one change related to the br0 bridge, which might resolve the br0 loop errors (I just don't know yet if an additional fix is required on the Broadcom side - I'll know once I get my hands on the newer GPL).

In any case, so far my syslog seems to be fairly quiet on that front after running this newer Quantenna build for a few days, so I decided to upload an Experimental build of it (labeled 378_51-newqtn).

Please give it a shot.

in this topic
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-50-is-out.22627/page-20#post-166474
i start report strange problem. Then i think that the source of problem is my USB3.0 HDD Seagate Portable 1TB, becouse without HDD router work ok.

But now i back to this case becouse i test OFW 378_4376, and on this fw router work ok, without this bug. So this problem occur only on RMerlin FW.

For accuracy
378-51
i do factory default, set isp config (full default: ip, dhcp etc), connect HDD, and work ok. After restart internet not work only on pc/laptop connected by wifi or lan (on router i can ping sites form router menu).
Pressing Apply in WAN Menu (without any changes) Internet start working

378-4376
this same config (all the same), internet work after restart without any problem

Not only is 378.51 working om my RT-AC87R, it is working beautifully! HD video streams faster than it can be viewed on any of our 4 DirecTV boxes. I was having all kinds of problems with DirecTV's Internet features until I found out, quite by accident I might add, that the DirecTV HR-24 HD DVR receivers, and I have 4 of these, must be connected to the Intenet through coaxial cabling and their proprietary Internet Connectivity kit. Fortunately, it was on sale for just $25.

Once I manually set the IP addresses and port numbers on each HR-24 HD DVR and set up the appropriate port forwarding rules on my AC87R all is not just well, it's magnificently well even! This is the best my Internet service has ever been! We were also having issues with Cox (we almost dumped them if not for the best Field Ops Supv ever) that have finally been resolved. Cox ran a new wire from the tap on the street right to the side of my house using RG-11 and also replaced all of their cabling from the box on the side of the house all the way to my modem, an Arris/Moto SB6183 16x4. That coupled with the recent service upgrade for Ultimate package customers to 150Mbps, please don't laugh as it's the fastest service available for my address, has us seeing previously unattainable performance levels.

I am now actively cooling the router with a mini USB laptop cooler also. My current temps are:

2.4 GHz: 40°C - 5 GHz: 48°C - CPU: 58°C

and that is with all three of us on the Internet simultaneously. My AC87R has also been overclocked to 1200/800MHz (CPU/RAM) and is rock solid stability-wise. Before using passive cooling only my temps ran (on avg):

2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz: 58°C - CPU: 78°C

As far as performance goes, this is the first router that I have ever owned in which the 5GHz band performed as well as the 2.4GHz band and in some cases 5GHz performance is better due to the speeds attainable with AC clients. I can also connect to the Internet from anywhere on my property (all of 7,500 sq ft) with the 5GHz band and this is also a first. I cannot wait to see the performance upgrade once MU-MIMO clients are available and the feature is activated by Asus or Merlin. No need for me to even consider DD-WRT or USBTomato.

No LAN when WAN is down?

I have experienced this a few time, and it's not specific to .51. Running RT68R.

WAN was down at my place (ISP issue). Then I rebooted the router, and the LAN clients (wired and wireless) became all not able to get the 192.x.x.x IP addresses and ended up having the 169.x.x.x ones (i.e., no DHCP) and I couldn't even log into the router and see what was up. They eventually got the 192.x.x.x addresses, but took much much longer (like, minutes) to obtain ones (compared to like 2 mins max when WAN was up, including reboot time).

Is this a known issue?

hey,
i'am from a country gmt +1
current time = 8:50
when i set Time Zone gmt 0 it says 7:50 at the log = normal
when i set gmt +1 9:50 = not normal must be 8:50
ntp server is filled
- i reboot no luck
- power off no luck
- reset to fac no luck
- change ntp server no luck
can i change time manually ?

hey,
i'am from a country gmt +1
current time = 8:50
when i set Time Zone gmt 0 it says 7:50 at the log = normal
when i set gmt +1 9:50 = not normal must be 8:50
ntp server is filled
- i reboot no luck
- power off no luck
- reset to fac no luck
- change ntp server no luck
can i change time manually ?
You must set dst Time zone changes start and end becouse by default have wrong values

You must set dst Time zone changes start and end becouse by default have wrong values

Did solve my problem thanks.
And my problem is solved to on time wifi to.

can thoose values retrieved from internet automatic?
So you have only to choose the gmt.?
what is the point to sync to a ntp server then if you need those values ?

my syno sync with ntp + the gmt i choose and the time is always good.
there i don't need to fill in those values i don't even have those fields there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only is 378.51 working om my RT-AC87R, it is working beautifully! HD video streams faster than it can be viewed on any of our 4 DirecTV boxes. I was having all kinds of problems with DirecTV's Internet features until I found out, quite by accident I might add, that the DirecTV HR-24 HD DVR receivers, and I have 4 of these, must be connected to the Intenet through coaxial cabling and their proprietary Internet Connectivity kit. Fortunately, it was on sale for just $25.

Once I manually set the IP addresses and port numbers on each HR-24 HD DVR and set up the appropriate port forwarding rules on my AC87R all is not just well, it's magnificently well even! This is the best my Internet service has ever been! We were also having issues with Cox (we almost dumped them if not for the best Field Ops Supv ever) that have finally been resolved. Cox ran a new wire from the tap on the street right to the side of my house using RG-11 and also replaced all of their cabling from the box on the side of the house all the way to my modem, an Arris/Moto SB6183 16x4. That coupled with the recent service upgrade for Ultimate package customers to 150Mbps, please don't laugh as it's the fastest service available for my address, has us seeing previously unattainable performance levels.

I am now actively cooling the router with a mini USB laptop cooler also. My current temps are:

2.4 GHz: 40°C - 5 GHz: 48°C - CPU: 58°C

and that is with all three of us on the Internet simultaneously. My AC87R has also been overclocked to 1200/800MHz (CPU/RAM) and is rock solid stability-wise. Before using passive cooling only my temps ran (on avg):

2.4 GHz: 48°C - 5 GHz: 58°C - CPU: 78°C

As far as performance goes, this is the first router that I have ever owned in which the 5GHz band performed as well as the 2.4GHz band and in some cases 5GHz performance is better due to the speeds attainable with AC clients. I can also connect to the Internet from anywhere on my property (all of 7,500 sq ft) with the 5GHz band and this is also a first. I cannot wait to see the performance upgrade once MU-MIMO clients are available and the feature is activated by Asus or Merlin. No need for me to even consider DD-WRT or USBTomato.

Hi,

Which laptop cooler did buy or using? Im looking for something as well, I have my router in a closed closet.

/Christian

smb.postconf script

I get this error when manually run it: sed: -i requires an argument
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/sed.html

GNU version of sed allows you to use "-i" without an argument, but router complain about it.
You must provide an extension for the FreeBSD/Mac OS X version.

I have fixed that with this:
}
PATTERN=$(_quote "$1")
CONTENT=$(_quote "$2")
sed -i ' ' "/s$PATTERN/$CONTENT/" $3
}

What I dont undersatd what $3 read/write from. (write to smb.conf file?)

Now I get this instead:
The command '' ./smb.postconf ''
failed with return code 1 and error message
sed 's / use sendfile = yes / use sendfile = no /: No such file or directory.

Octopus

Last edited:
make linux swap partition (type 82) and activate it using command
swapon /dev/sdxx

IMO
type free command
and when you see swap size, then swap is working.

Thanks for the reply. here is what I had used.

cd /opt
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=1024 count=524288
mkswap swap
chmod 0600 swap
swapon swap

Then the 2 scripts

nano /jffs/scripts/post-mount
#!/bin/sh
swapon /opt/swap

nano /jffs/scripts/services-stop
#!/bin/sh
swapoff /opt/swap

when I do a free command I see
Swap: 0 0 0

Did solve my problem thanks.
And my problem is solved to on time wifi to.

can thoose values retrieved from internet automatic?
So you have only to choose the gmt.?
what is the point to sync to a ntp server then if you need those values ?

my syno sync with ntp + the gmt i choose and the time is always good.
there i don't need to fill in those values i don't even have those fields there.

An NTP merely provides you with the GMT time. It's up to the client to handle any DST adjustments based on their local timezone.

smb.postconf script

I get this error when manually run it: sed: -i requires an argument
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/sed.html

GNU version of sed allows you to use "-i" without an argument, but router complain about it.
You must provide an extension for the FreeBSD/Mac OS X version.

I have fixed that with this:

What I dont undersatd what $3 read/write from. (write to smb.conf file?)

Now I get this instead:

$3 is the smb.conf file, yes (it's the third argument of your command - you DO have three arguments?)

Post your actual postconf script. The actual example you posted (replacing lines in smb.conf) is something I was doing extensively myself when working on Samba 3.6, and it was working fine.

$3 is the smb.conf file, yes (it's the third argument of your command - you DO have three arguments?)

Post your actual postconf script. The actual example you posted (replacing lines in smb.conf) is something I was doing extensively myself when working on Samba 3.6, and it was working fine.

This is what i using:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_replace "use sendfile = yes" "use sendfile = no" $CONFIG

"smb.conf" have chmod 0666

Last edited:
RT-AC87U owners:

I don't have the newest GPL code from Asus yet, however I was able to extract the Quantenna firmware from their recent beta release (378_4608) and to transplant it on top of 378.51. This updated Quantenna environment included at least one change related to the br0 bridge, which might resolve the br0 loop errors (I just don't know yet if an additional fix is required on the Broadcom side - I'll know once I get my hands on the newer GPL).

In any case, so far my syslog seems to be fairly quiet on that front after running this newer Quantenna build for a few days, so I decided to upload an Experimental build of it (labeled 378_51-newqtn).

Please give it a shot.

Webui feels snappier. Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!