What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just a quickie fellahs, YES or No answer is fine. :)

Would turning off Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) so that HW acceleration is Enabled, help with wireless streaming of large HD video files? If it has nothing to do with wireless streaming, nevermind. :)

RT-AC66U / ROUTER Mode / 378.51

An NTP merely provides you with the GMT time. It's up to the client to handle any DST adjustments based on their local timezone.
i try to explain it better

$ntptime = ntp server
$routergmt you set router on gmt +1 or something else

$ntptime + $routergmt = countrytime so no need for DST adjustments

i try to explain it better

$ntptime = ntp server
$routergmt you set router on gmt +1 or something else

$ntptime + $routergmt = countrytime so no need for DST adjustments

I think you are correct here, I see the same thing as I have chosen (GMT+01.00 Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo) and the current local time is one hour off.

Choosing correct Time Zone should a I see it set the right values for DST correction.

Thank you Merlin & Octopus. I had /dev/nul - one l was missing :(

Just my two cents here but you may seriously want to consider https (SSL) to do the update rather than http. The 'key' is a hash of your user/pass and since anyone can see that, it is very simple for them to hijack your DNS and proxy you through a squid proxy to steal your traffic. If you are at all concerned about security, id recommend you look at the wiki page.

Last edited:
This is what i using:

"smb.conf" have chmod 0666

Something must have changed with busybox's sed, because this is precisely the same thing I was using during my Samba 3.6 test, and the helper.sh file hasn't been changed since March 2014.

Something must have changed with busybox's sed, because this is precisely the same thing I was using during my Samba 3.6 test, and the helper.sh file hasn't been changed since March 2014.
Yes It is strange. I have tested to copy and move helper.sh to /jffs and change "source" to test with same result, not working.

smb.postconf script

I get this error when manually run it: sed: -i requires an argument
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/sed.html

GNU version of sed allows you to use "-i" without an argument, but router complain about it.
You must provide an extension for the FreeBSD/Mac OS X version.

I have fixed that with this:

What I dont undersatd what $3 read/write from. (write to smb.conf file?)

Now I get this instead:

Octopus
Try instead
sed -i 's/$PATTERN/$CONTENT/' $3
and check if it works

n66u
Parental Controll not work for all internet acces.
I set time for acces to internet for pc (lan), but my child still can play online (eg. minecraft etc skype also work).
I test this settings in my laptop and skype not work, sites also not work.
It's normal that pc connected by lan cable work normally ? and only wifi devices is filtered ?

Last edited:
What firmware?

Note that the times you select are what will be available. Is the time correct on the router?

Did you reboot the router after setting and saving the mac address you want restricted?

Is your child smart enough to spoof another mac address?

Try these steps as a test:

Remove the computer in question from PC.
Reboot the router and ideally, their computer too.
Enable PC but do not add any time slots.
Reboot the router again and ideally, their computer too.

Does the computer have internet access?

If it doesn't and you leave it like that because you ran out of time (dinner, perhaps and then a nap) does the computer suddenly have internet access when your child has had some time on their computer? ;)

What firmware?
Asuswrt-Merlin 378.51

Note that the times you select are what will be available. Is the time correct on the router?
Yest, time is correct. Filtering work perfect on my laptop (wifi), not work on pc with cable connection

Did you reboot the router after setting and saving the mac address you want restricted?
no, but without reboot filteringo work prefect on wifi devices

Is your child smart enough to spoof another mac address?

Try these steps as a test:

Remove the computer in question from PC.
Reboot the router and ideally, their computer too.
Enable PC but do not add any time slots.
Reboot the router again and ideally, their computer too.

Does the computer have internet access?

If it doesn't and you leave it like that because you ran out of time (dinner, perhaps and then a nap) does the computer suddenly have internet access when your child has had some time on their computer? ;)
ok i will test, but why this feature work only on wifi ?

The feature works as expected on wireless or wired connections (I just tested it).

The 'test' I'm suggesting is to see how smart your children are to bypass your efforts. ;)

i restart router and filtering work also for cable connection,
Thanks for help.

btw. IMO FW should suggest a router reboot to apply the changes .

Hi,

Which laptop cooler did buy or using? Im looking for something as well, I have my router in a closed closet.

/Christian

If you search mini octopus USB laptop cooler on eBay it should pop right up. It is a cheap, double fan that cost $12 for 3 of them. Good luck!

I just noticed Traffic Monitor become inaccurate in daily and monthly view
realtime and last 24 hours looks good, but the daily and monthly view shows much less data has been used, always 0.xx GB

Same issue. No QoS or Trend Micro stuff is enabled, but I do have H/W acceleration (CTF + FA) enabled.

I upgraded an AC68U from .50 to .51 a couple of hours ago. Now, none of the active WIFI devices, IP camera and a couple of always on PC's, are reported as connected to the router. This device is in a building 30 miles away and I am managing it remotely. I have tried turning the radios off and on, reset the passphrase, and have rebooted the router. Nothing connects. I can see other WIFI devices in Site Survey. There was an "issue" after flashing .51 in that the static IP address I had set was 0.0.0.0. Also lost the port forwarding addresses. Am trying to avoid a 60 mile trip if possible. I suspect you will tell me to make the trip and reset to factory?

Tks. BB

n66u
Parental Controll not work for all internet acces.
I set time for acces to internet for pc (lan), but my child still can play online (eg. minecraft etc skype also work).
I test this settings in my laptop and skype not work, sites also not work.
It's normal that pc connected by lan cable work normally ? and only wifi devices is filtered ?

Read earlier in this thread, post 160 that the N66 and AC66 were not totally 378.x compliant and several items don't work as expected. Firewall for iPv6 and parental controls were mentioned. ASUS still only issues 376.x firmware for those versions. This was a post from Merlin in response to another user.

Last edited:
i restart router and filtering work also for cable connection,
Thanks for help.

btw. IMO FW should suggest a router reboot to apply the changes .

Glad it helped.

That suggestion may be helpful to some. But Windows is not the only O/S that needs a reboot to clear it's head. Any changes made to a router either need the router to be rebooted (if it could affect all or most clients) or the clients rebooted.

Or both. (That would have been my next suggestion). :)

sees this in resolv.dnsmasq shuldnt it be 127.0.0.1 insted of the wan dns
Code:
server=/local/8.8.8.8
server=/local/8.8.4.4

Anyone else having problem with performance drop on WiFi 2.4Ghz on RT-AC56U? I get 2Mbps DL speed and 0.5 up... While on 5Ghz I get 80Mbps DL / 20 UP from the same distance (few meters from the router). I did the reboot of the router, I also went to check if TP-Link AP (2.4Ghz) I am using encounter the same issue - but not, so it must be the Asus. I used "factory default" reset upon upgrading to 378.50 but not 378.51.

Last edited:
Anyone else having problem with performance drop on WiFi 2.4Ghz on RT-AC56U? I get 2Mbps DL speed and 0.5 up... While on 5Ghz I get 80Mbps DL / 20 UP from the same distance (few meters from the router). I did the reboot of the router, I also went to check if TP-Link AP (2.4Ghz) I am using encounter the same issue - but not, so it must be the Asus. I used "factory default" reset upon upgrading to 378.50 but not 378.51.
No problems for me, I get the max my ISP can give me in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!