What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
got it to work after a complete restore.

Last edited:
Could i upgrade to this from 374.33 on a RT-N66U? Everytime i would upgrade the firmware, the router becomes unresponsive. Maybe I should wait longer? had to use firmware restoration tool back to 374.33

What steps do I have to do to upgrade to this latest one?

Could i upgrade to this from 374.33 on a RT-N66U? Everytime i would upgrade the firmware, the router becomes unresponsive. Maybe I should wait longer? had to use firmware restoration tool back to 374.33

To have the best chance of an upgrade:

1) Unplug all USB devices from router.
2) Reboot the router and wait 5 minutes.
3) Flash new firmware. Reboot the router as indicated and then hard power cycle it too (pull the power plug from the router to do a hard power cycle and wait a minute or two before applying power again).

If the above still doesn't work, before I proceeded with step 3, I would do a reset to factory defaults using the old firmware before upgrading to the newest one.

The above has worked successfully for me over the last few years. Good luck.

The 378.54 build works fine on both my AC87U routers. The "NAT Acceleration" is set to "Auto CTF(Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled".

Do I need to upgrade to 378.54_1?

So far only RT-N66U users reported issues, but just to be safe I recommend flashing 378.54_1 on other models as well.

ASUS stock works as far back as Beta Version3.0.0.4.378.4850 , ill be switching to ASUS firware till its resolved .

Most reports I was getting were just as vague as "IPTV doesn't work". If it's specifically igmpproxy not creating its config neither starting, that gives me something to look at. This is odd because that code should be unchanged from the stock firmware.

Can't deploy RT-AC87U_378.54_1 as I get an error while flashing:
Firmware-Aktualisierung fehlgeschlagen. Dies kann an einer falschen Image-Datei oder einem Ubertragungsfehler liegen. Bitte überprüfen Sie die Version der Firmware und versuchen Sie es noch einmal. Firmware-Aktualisierung wegen falscher Datei oder Verbind

It seems the image has a failure. Anyone else with this error?
tried to redownload the .zip file, still the same.
the mirror does not offer any AC87U images.

Github snapshot test builds (Updated 30-May-2015) did work pe
rfectly to flash.

edit: the RT-AC87U_378.55 alpha1 from https://app.box.com/s/vqnat1eu9d7v00bb6pfy did work again. strange :/

Try rebooting with no USB disk plugged in, in case you are too low on free RAM for the flash process to complete.

With such a major jump in version, you have to do a factory default reset after flashing, and then manually reconfigure everything. Do not restore a saved config file.

To have the best chance of an upgrade:

1) Unplug all USB devices from router.
2) Reboot the router and wait 5 minutes.
3) Flash new firmware. Reboot the router as indicated and then hard power cycle it too (pull the power plug from the router to do a hard power cycle and wait a minute or two before applying power again).

If the above still doesn't work, before I proceeded with step 3, I would do a reset to factory defaults using the old firmware before upgrading to the newest one.

The above has worked successfully for me over the last few years. Good luck.

With such a major jump in version, you have to do a factory default reset after flashing, and then manually reconfigure everything. Do not restore a saved config file.

Tried this but couldnt access the router GUI. I was able to ping it with a result of TTL=128.
Maybe I should upgrade the firmware with something newer then 374 rather than going straight to 378

Tried this but couldnt access the router GUI. I was able to ping it with a result of TTL=128.
Maybe I should upgrade the firmware with something newer then 374 rather than going straight to 378

A TTL of 128 indicates you are stuck in the bootloader, in recovery mode.

After flashing, turn the router off, then turn it back on while pressing the WPS button. Wait about 15 secs, then release it. This will erase the nvram, and proceed with booting the firmware with a clean state.

A TTL of 128 indicates you are stuck in the bootloader, in recovery mode.

After flashing, turn the router off, then turn it back on while pressing the WPS button. Wait about 15 secs, then release it. This will erase the nvram, and proceed with booting the firmware with a clean state.

I started over and used firmware restoration to 374, worked fine but after updating to the latest one. The router is still unresponsive, not able to ping it at all. I give up on this router! Maybe its time for a new one...

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.54_1 is now available, for all supported models.

Code:
nvram set wrs_adblock_popup=0
nvram set wrs_adblock_stream=0
nvram commit
If for some reason you still want to use it, you can enable it manually by setting the above values to "1". There will be *NO* support for it.

If i used adblock feature but i disabled it in menu, after this i flash new fw, i need also use telnet to manually disable this funcionality ?

Is the Trend Micro signature on your latest version 1.050?
1050-png.3964

Attachments

• 1050.png
    1050.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
If i used adblock feature but i disabled it in menu, after this i flash new fw, i need also use telnet to manually disable this funcionality ?

No, it's already disabled then.

Most reports I was getting were just as vague as "IPTV doesn't work". If it's specifically igmpproxy not creating its config neither starting, that gives me something to look at. This is odd because that code should be unchanged from the stock firmware.

If I try re-creating the /tmp/igmpproxy.conf file using the same content as in the last working build (378.52) I get the following error;

# automagically generated from web settings
quickleave

phyint eth0 upstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1
altnet 0.0.0.0/0

phyint br0 downstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1​

igmpproxy[2174]: There must be at least 2 Vif's where one is upstream.

BTW I'm running a PPoE connection if that makes a difference

I started over and used firmware restoration to 374, worked fine but after updating to the latest one. The router is still unresponsive, not able to ping it at all. I give up on this router! Maybe its time for a new one...

When you say latest one are you using the 378.54_1 version? Did you try doing an incremental update to 376 first? What bootloader do you have installed?

Then it means the flash wasn't successful. Reboot with no USB disk plugged to recover more RAM, then flash again.
I see the beta AC68u firmware recommended this too. The firmware can fail to update if it doesn't have enough RAM?

I see the beta AC68u firmware recommended this too. The firmware can fail to update if it doesn't have enough RAM?

Yes. The router needs at least 30-ish MB of free RAM to store the firmware you are uploading, so it can flash it afterward.

I ran some tests with igmpproxy. With my WAN set to DHCP, it's started correctly. When I set it to PPPoE then it does not start, unless it can obtain a DHCP IP on the WAN interface in addition to establishing a PPPoE connection.

The same happens with Asus's 378_6117's stock firmware: when in PPPoE mode, igmpproxy does not get started if it does not also obtain a DHCP lease from upstream. So, this is the same behaviour regarless of whether it's my firmware or Asus's.

I also rechecked the start_igmpproxy() code, and it's identical to Asus's.

So from my point of view, it works and it fails to work in the same scenarios as the stock firmware.

1) Are you all running PPPoE?
2) Can you confirm that IGMPProxy is indeed enabled, by running "nvram get mr_enable_x" over SSH?

Last edited:
When you say latest one are you using the 378.54_1 version? Did you try doing an incremental update to 376 first? What bootloader do you have installed?

Yes thats correct. Will try to do an incremental when I get home.
Not sure about the bootloader, never messed with that one.

I used to have merlin fw on it then switched to tomato and now back on merlin.

Ok. I figured out what the problem is. I have a 26 character DynDNS url and when the ovpn file is created the port is truncated to '1'. I think there is a line length issue in the OpenVPN server "Export" function that generates the clientx.ovpn file.

Found it. It's not a truncated name, it's the port getting overwritten by a different parameter (which is actually set to "0" or "1").

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!