What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
22.png
Because it's not an SHA1 hash, as it's stated in the file name of the hash, it's an SHA256 hash, which btw matches the file's hash. View attachment 4136 Don't click on the "Download folder" button at the top of the page. Just select one file, or just simply click on the file name (or here is a direct link to it).

It would help greatly if I could read, huh?

Sorry, about that... the hash calc program didn't have the sha256 checked to calculate, so I just looked at what was presented--the wrong one!

On the downloads issue, right now the mediafire site is throwing up a "problem" message, so I can't do precise details. But I've never been able to get to the single package-- either by clicking on the folder at the left, which does not open, nor using the pop-open at the right side>download...which says approximately "zipping one item" but gives me the whole thing. I guess the one item is the folder-of-it-all.

I will look some more, and thanks for the direct link.

EDIT: got on the site. Pic at top is clip of what I see.
Click folder on left=nothing
Hover over words at right, get arrow, click>Download=get WHOLE thing.
See no other options to get the single current pkg.

Last edited:
  • OpenVPN keys and certificates migrated to JFFS the first time you start an OpenVPN client or server. This frees up a good amount of nvram.
Is there anything that should be done prior to installing 55 on a system that already has a /jffs/openvpn on 54_2? I used the recipe you posted once for manually moving OpenVPN keys etc. from NVRAM to JFFS (using a space in the GUI and then using custom commands to reference /jffs/openvpn files that I installed by hand). Will installing 55 copy the space characters to a /jffs/openvpn file, potentially overwriting the files I may already have?

(And thank you for all your hard work!)

Is there anything that should be done prior to installing 55 on a system that already has a /jffs/openvpn on 54_2? I used the recipe you posted once for manually moving OpenVPN keys etc. from NVRAM to JFFS (using a space in the GUI and then using custom commands to reference /jffs/openvpn files that I installed by hand). Will installing 55 copy the space characters to a /jffs/openvpn file, potentially overwriting the files I may already have?

(And thank you for all your hard work!)

Copy the keys manually back into the GUI then use John9527's excellent Backup Utility to dump NVRAM and JFFS to USB so you will have a backup.
P.S. I recommend that you always take a backup before any firmware upgrade.

Updated my AC56U to 378.55, performed a factory reset, overclocked to 1200/800, and not seeing any issues. I have noticed a slight decrease in 5ghz signal strength, but nothing near what I would call a deal breaker. Thanks Merlin.

Hi:

Under AC87

Reporting that since 53, 54-2 and now 55, mini dlna opens but after a while server is not appearing thus the process is still running. I have to terminal killall then relaunch. On/off option though gui does not work either with iOS 8.4

Any solutions?

Thanks.

The upgrade from 376.49_5 was smooth.

I thought I had read that an earlier version that I did not install would require manually inputting all settings--that saved ones would not be usable. So I expected that to be the case here. But I did not even have to reload saved ones--everything came across the update!

Well, except one thing...the VPN server was turned off, but all configurations were still there, so no real problem. That seems to be the only thing not identical to before.

Way to go sir. Smooth and easy.

The upgrade from 376.49_5 was smooth.

I thought I had read that an earlier version that I did not install would require manually inputting all settings--that saved ones would not be usable. So I expected that to be the case here. But I did not even have to reload saved ones--everything came across the update!
It's not the settings you can see that are the problem....it's the ones you can't see. There are values saved in nvram that are tied to specific driver versions and most certainly the driver versions changed between the levels you are at. The only way to reset these values is via a factory default reset (which will then also clear your user settings).

See this FAQ for more info...
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

The new login system is retarded! Not only will FF not remember login credentials, but now I can no longer use "http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@123.123.123.123" to login to my router from my iPhone. Which I frequently do so that I can "wake up" my computer via the WOL page.

Is there not a variable that can be changed to allow one to use the older style login scheme?

I'm all for having things be "more secure" but not at a cost of convenience. ASUS should have at least implemented ways for old "convenient" login methods to still work.

Last edited:
View attachment 4137
On the downloads issue, right now the mediafire site is throwing up a "problem" message, so I can't do precise details. But I've never been able to get to the single package-- either by clicking on the folder at the left, which does not open, nor using the pop-open at the right side>download...which says approximately "zipping one item" but gives me the whole thing. I guess the one item is the folder-of-it-all.

I will look some more, and thanks for the direct link.

EDIT: got on the site. Pic at top is clip of what I see.
Click folder on left=nothing
Hover over words at right, get arrow, click>Download=get WHOLE thing.
See no other options to get the single current pkg.
The problem is on your side. It's all written in javascript, so maybe you have a blocker or something. Try it in google chrome in incognito mode. Do you get the same result? For me, this is how it works (btw, here is a direct link to the folder for the future):
site_2.jpg site_3.jpg
Also, as I have mentioned, you can also simply just click on the file, and it will start to download.

Hi

anybody test Guest Network with WPA2-Personal in any Band ? for me is working if I set that up as Open but if I set it up as WPA2-Peronsal, APPLY does not work

Hi

anybody test Guest Network with WPA2-Personal in any Band ? for me is working if I set that up as Open but if I set it up as WPA2-Peronsal, APPLY does not work

I use Guest network for both bands 2.4/5Ghz with WPA2-personal and works very well in last build on my RT-AC87U.

Attachments

• guestnetwork_ac87u.JPG
    guestnetwork_ac87u.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 665
Following this line of thought, I've had intermittent issues with DNS resolution since upgrading to version 378.xx from the 374.xx fork on a RT-N66U. Is it possible that my SSIDs and/or DHCP client names could be causing this issue? Thanks in advance.

example SSID: John_Snow
example DHCP client name: p-SGN4
a

What your real question is what are valid DNS names. as DHCP names follow the same design. What characters, etc.
Here is a link that gives the info I what I think is a easy to understand form. Can find lots of other info in Internet. Google is your friend.

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/names.html

--bill

I've downgraded back to 378.54_2 - this wifi issue and my USB drive constantly unmounting and going into read only mode make this firmware too unstable for me.

I appreciate the update - but there's too many things wrong with it - that were working before.

EDIT: Found the fault with the USB drive was it was heating up causing I/O errors and not being seen by the router (unmounting it).

Last edited:
Guys, After upgrading my RT-AC87U to 378.55 from 378.52_2 the memory usage on the router has gone up from ~60 Megabytes to ~105 Megabytes. A reboot did not fix the issue. Other than this I see no side effects and all of my settings continue to work as intended. I don't really want to reset it and set everything back up to see if it fixes the RAM usage.
memory-usage.png

The new login system is retarded! Not only will FF not remember login credentials, but now I can no longer use "http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@123.123.123.123" to login to my router from my iPhone. Which I frequently do so that I can "wake up" my computer via the WOL page.

No, using http://username:password@hostname is retarded, and is no longer supported by various browsers. IE dropped support for these security nightmares nearly 10 years ago, for instance.

If you care so little about security that you are willing to put your router password as plain text, in plain sight in a bookmark, then might as well just use something that's simpler to type.

Is there not a variable that can be changed to allow one to use the older style login scheme?

I'm all for having things be "more secure" but not at a cost of convenience. ASUS should have at least implemented ways for old "convenient" login methods to still work.

It's not just a single page, it's the whole authentication backend that was rewritten by Asus. Basic Authentication as was previously used has been the cause of plenty of security holes, cross-site vulnerabilities and what not. Check Asus's changelogs for the past 18 months, and count how many "CSRF/XSS vulnerabilities" fixed you see in the changelog. It's not coming back (and in fact the vast majority of modern routers these days have also dumped Basic Authentication in favor of a token-based scheme). I might do some tweaks to the actual login page itself such as re-enable pasting to it (not sure why they went that far in tightening down security on that page), but since Asus is still actively making changes to that page, I want to wait for it to stabilize before I start tweaking it any further.

I probably log into my router more often than 95% of the people here, and I don't find it a problem.

Guys, After upgrading my RT-AC87U to 378.55 from 378.52_2 the memory usage on the router has gone up from ~60 Megabytes to ~105 Megabytes. A reboot did not fix the issue.

Please read the changelog, as well as the first post of this thread - I write these for a reason...

Hi Merlin, I see a lot of

Jul 21 08:52:34 kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/np

in the System logs. This was not there before the update. Any idea what could be the issue?

Hi Merlin, I see a lot of

Jul 21 08:52:34 kernel: [truncated] L/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/npch ==NULL/np

in the System logs. This was not there before the update. Any idea what could be the issue?

Not sure, I suspect it's related either to IPv6, or to TrendMicro's kernel modules. The error message is too vague to be of any help in tracking it down at this time.

Please read the changelog, as well as the first post of this thread - I write these for a reason...
Im sorry, I read the changelog and somehow missed the part about higher RAM usage. Thanks and keep up the great work you do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!