What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.55 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker here, upgraded from stock build 3754 two days back, reset all, and everything is working very well and perfectly stable with OpenVPN enabled (with the network drive at long last accessible over vpn) and minidlna is working better than stock with my sony TV-with stock I had infrequent disconnects on my TV and the loading bars would never stop inside folders; not so with this one.

Furthermore, like previous stock builds, selecting folders for the dlna server will result in scanning for media being hung (on a reboot or it will never start scanning) and the media server won't work, selecting the whole drive scanning option is the only way I found it works and isn't a problem for me since this is how it has been working since at least build 3754.

The new login (major reason I upgraded seeing the vulnerabilities being fixed in stock builds) works fine with lastpass and so is no trouble at all like in the past.

Presently supporting 2xwired, 3x2.4Ghz and 3x5Ghz clients without issues. No weird error messages in the log. Hoping it stays this way.

Just a minor note-second channel (40Mhz) is incorrectly reported as 1+3 instead of 5 on the wireless icon in the top right.

PS-A couple of beers on me ;) Cheers!

Edit:Thought I forgot something, its on an n66u.

Last edited:
First of all a big thanks to RMerlin for his good job on making the AsusWRT routers even better.

I've been using your builds on and off on an RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U and now finally on an RT-AC87U. Up until this version I've had no major issues at all.

My current setup consists of the RT-AC87U as my main router, an RT-AC68U as a media bridge for my NAS, and an RT-AC66U as a repeater to extend coverage to a part of my house where the RT-AC87U struggles. All parts of the network has static IP assigned, and only the clients use DHCP.

On all builds I have tried prior to 378.55, this has been working as expected, with speeds up to 40ish MB/s between clients with decent 5 GHz adapters on the RT-AC87U and the NAS on the RT-AC68U.

Starting with 378.55 I'm getting some problems. As soon as I upgrade the RT-AC87U I am unable to ping from a client on the 5 GHz on the RT-AC87U to the NAS on the RT-AC68U. I also see ping time varying a lot between the client and the two routers, eventually with packet loss as well. After a while, the RT-AC68U seems to disassociate. This happens no matter if I run 378.55 or 378.54_2 on the RT-AC68U end, but does not happen when I run 378.54_2 on the RT-AC87U.

Here's a short list of other things I have tried / observed:

* Reset both routers to default, only setting the bare minimum to make things connect.
* Pinging the NAS from the RT-AC68U works as normal even when I am unable to ping from the client or the RT-AC87U.
* The fact that the NAS is unaccessible even when I am able to ping the RT-AC68U, and the packet loss happening after a while between the RT-AC87U and the client makes me wonder if I'm seeing two unrelated issues here, or if there's a common issue giving both these symptoms.

As I have next to no experience in troubleshooting routing under Linux; I haven't been messing a lot with this. Just wanted to report to make sure that the trouble is found and sorted if it is a firmware bug.

If anyone has suggestions to what I should try to pinpoint the issue, feel free to comment.

-KJ

It does not make sense for someone in your position to update firmware very often at all. And especially in the case of not updating firmware frequently, consider not updating firmware unless and until you have time to do a proper job of it. Which inevitably includes noting your settings, resetting to factory defaults AFTER a firmware upgrade, and then re-applying your settings.

Such production environments should not upgrade firmware unless they have found something important that the old firmware doesn't do that the new firmware does. And if the new functionality is important, then by the definition of important it's worth going through the trouble of upgrading firmware in a judicious (i.e. by re-setting and re-configuring) manner.

All true, except I am a paranoid with security so I would like to have at least the most recent updates especially on openssl libraries. Unless special patches that address only security will be out for the Merlin firmware, the only way to get the latest is to .. flash a new firmware. So yes, in the end, it is worth going through all the hassle of reconfiguring, if this is the last resort.

This lesson also reminds me to take notes of all the changes I do because I have spent quite some time getting the router to the level it is today.

What I have tried so far without any luck: disabling firewall, removing the permanent arp entry.

Another recent change I've made: upgraded all PCs in the network to Windows 10. But how could this influece WOL?

Last edited:
The NVRAM stores persistent settings between reboots. The NVRAM is also retained between flashes of different firmware versions or even different firmware versions.

It is recommended to reset the NVRAM between flashes so that the new firmware encounters known values in the NVRAM.

For example, let's say that Firmware A sets the imaginary variable run_masq to "/usr/bin/masqrun", and this command is run at startup. Now, let's flash the router with Firmware B, which reads the run_masq variable determine whether the router does masquerading. Firmware B expects a boolean value here, such as "1" or "0". In the best case scenario, Firmware B will just throw an error and gracefully continue booting, but there could be cases where it errors out so badly that it bricks the router or makes it unbootable.

Perhaps it's overkill for most users, but I do this to help alleviate any potential errors that could arise.
How would I go about clearing the NVRAM and would it be better to do so before or after a flash and factory reset? Even rolling back, I can't seem to resolve my issue so I am going to literally try a blank slate.

Another recent change I've made: upgraded all PCs in the network to Windows 10. But how could this influece WOL?

Do a quick google search on Windows 10 WOL.....Win10 changed the shutdown power state and you have to change a setting to put it back the way it was.

Do a quick google search on Windows 10 WOL.....Win10 changed the shutdown power state and you have to change a setting to put it back the way it was.

Well, this was the exact issue: aparently on shutdown, Windows 10 leaves the NIC in a state that prevents WOL. It amazes me how it remains persistent, even though I have removed all power from the computers at some point.
Sufice to say that the solution was to install windows 8.1 drivers (Realtek in my case), which did the trick, now WOL works as before - without resetting the router config which in this case had nothing to do with the issue.

And I did all this remotely, hoping reaally hard not to shut down the pc and not being able to start it again but in a week when someone will be phisically there :).

Further discussions on the topic: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ating-to/2c7ff657-e922-4fa2-abd1-59e126fc2ec1

So, as far as I can tell, the new release of Merlin 378.55 works as expected with old configuration in place. The only thing I have changed is a stronger certificate for the admin Web interface, that once added to Trusted Root store made Google Chrome not bitch about it.

Lessons learned:
1. Just because something is more likely to be the culprit, it doesn't always have to be so, look carefully.
2. Just because something is LESS likely to be the culprit, it doesn't mean it isn't, again, look carefully and take ALL changes in the account, as unlikely as they might seem as a cause.
3. Sometimes is good not to rush and demolish your house for one rat, instead wait patiently until it comes out and... kill it.
4. SNB Forums support is great! I got a working solution in a few days.

Thank you, john9527 and everybody.

Last edited:
Since the upgrade to 378.55 on my RT-AC87U. This has happened twice where 5ghz just dies, the LED stops flashing and devices can no longer see the 5GHZ network. The only fix is to reboot, anyone else experienced this? Previous firmwares have been fine.

Since the upgrade to 378.55 on my RT-AC87U. This has happened twice where 5ghz just dies, the LED stops flashing and devices can no longer see the 5GHZ network. The only fix is to reboot, anyone else experienced this? Previous firmwares have been fine.

We can never be sure if Merlin's firmware is flaky, or if it is the Asus code that Merlin's version is built on ultra-conservatively for whatever philosophical or practical reasons, or perhaps an end user's particular set up or environment or the way it was flashed, or the bum hardware Asus churns out etc. etc.

For us, a daily reboot is what the doctor ordered. Or in special cases, twice daily reboot.

Add 24/7 air conditioning or at least a laptop cooler as this sucker runs hot.

You can set this up using Merlin's firmware (the reboot - not the cooling).

I would say search for it but the search on this board is lame at this time, at least for me; use Google ;o(

I seem to be seeing better results after factory resetting my AC66U, reflashing the 278.54_2, then factory resetting again, and then restoring my back up of my saved settings. I may try the .55 again but it drives me bonkers to have network issues that impact the speed of everything in my place.

Thanks to @RMerlin for the firmware and for doing such a great job with the various Asus routers your firmware supports. Although i have only come here recently to see if anyone else has experienced the issue I had with the. .55, I have been using the Merlin firemware on my Asus RT-AC66U since January. Keep up the awesome work! [=

We can never be sure if Merlin's firmware is flaky, or if it is the Asus code that Merlin's version is built on ultra-conservatively for whatever philosophical or practical reasons, or perhaps an end user's particular set up or environment or the way it was flashed, or the bum hardware Asus churns out etc. etc.

For us, a daily reboot is what the doctor ordered. Or in special cases, twice daily reboot.

I would say search for it but the search on this board is lame at this time, at least for me; use Google ;o(

Simple answer - if you don't like it, don't use it. You can use the ASUS code. Or you can build your own. I'm guessing you haven't donated, so you aren't out any money...

Fortunately the reboots aren't necessary for everyone!

Screenshot 2015-08-11 13.13.13.png

Well, this was the exact issue: aparently on shutdown, Windows 10 leaves the NIC in a state that prevents WOL. It amazes me how it remains persistent, even though I have removed all power from the computers at some point.
Sufice to say that the solution was to install windows 8.1 drivers (Realtek in my case), which did the trick, now WOL works as before - without resetting the router config which in this case had nothing to do with the issue.

And I did all this remotely, hoping reaally hard not to shut down the pc and not being able to start it again but in a week when someone will be phisically there :).

Further discussions on the topic: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ating-to/2c7ff657-e922-4fa2-abd1-59e126fc2ec1

So, as far as I can tell, the new release of Merlin 378.55 works as expected with old configuration in place. The only thing I have changed is a stronger certificate for the admin Web interface, that once added to Trusted Root store made Google Chrome not bitch about it.

Lessons learned:
1. Just because something is more likely to be the culprit, it doesn't always have to be so, look carefully.
2. Just because something is LESS likely to be the culprit, it doesn't mean it isn't, again, look carefully and take ALL changes in the account, as unlikely as they might seem as a cause.
3. Sometimes is good not to rush and demolish your house for one rat, instead wait patiently until it comes out and... kill it.
4. SNB Forums support is great! I got a working solution in a few days.

Thank you, john9527 and everybody.

i can tell you that there is a crap load of things that changed with windows 10. our client platform team at the place where i work is shirtting bricks understanding how many things have changed so that they cam prepare a workable core image for our pc's

Hello,
I updated the AC87U to the new firmware 387.55.
But now I can not sign in over the Web-Interface.
Putty is working with the sign in data.
What can I do?

Same thing happens to me after 5 to 7 days. Most all my devices are on the 5Ghz band. I'm on 378.55 with my RT-AC87U.

Strange that this happens now, I had this trouble with previous versions but not with 378.55 of RMerlin... See screenie uptime 21 days now and no trouble with 5Ghz band...

Attachments

• RT-AC87U_378.55.JPG
    RT-AC87U_378.55.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 381
Hello,
I updated the AC87U to the new firmware 387.55.
But now I can not sign in over the Web-Interface.
Putty is working with the sign in data.
What can I do?

Are you using a Windows 10 computer with a restricted account?

First post here and first thoughts, thanks Merlin.

I use KeepassX as pw manager and usually copy paste my passwords into fields. Asus decision to disable paste is terrible UI but easily overcome. I cobbled together from these two pages a js bookmarklet that you click once to clear the disable attribute from the login fields. Thought it might be helpful to some folks so links and code below.

my bookmarklet
Code:
javascript:(function()%7Bvar inputs%3Ddocument.getElementsByTagName(%27input%27)%3Bfor(var i%3D0%3Bi<inputs.length%3Bi%2B%2B)%7Bif(inputs%5Bi%5D.getAttribute(%27type%27).toLowerCase()%3D%3D%3D%27password%27)%7Binputs%5Bi%5D.setAttribute(%27onpaste%27,%27%27)%3B%7D%7D%7D)()%3B

http://www.prioritized.net/blog/re-enabling-password-pasting-on-annoying-web-forms/
http://mrcoles.com/bookmarklet/

Hello Merlin,
nobody can help me with my problem.
After I updated the AC87U to the new firmware 387.55 (from 378.54_2) I can not sign in.
I have OS Windows 8.1 pro. The login with Putty works without problem.
Can I use putty to start the web interface?
How can I sign in?
I'm the only one with this phenomenon?

Hello Merlin,
nobody can help me with my problem.
After I updated the AC87U to the new firmware 387.55 (from 378.54_2) I can not sign in.
I have OS Windows 8.1 pro. The login with Putty works without problem.
Can I use putty to start the web interface?
How can I sign in?
I'm the only one with this phenomenon?

Make sure you enter the correct username as well as the password, both being case-sensitive.

If you had a complex password with unsupported characters, you can reset it over SSH:

Code:
nvram set http_passwd="newpassword"
nvram commit
service restart_httpd

Hi All, Has an issue with ver55 no my RT-N66U this morning during heavy download (170Mb down continues for ten mins) lost internet connection on cat6 1GB wired connection. First time had an issue in the two years of owning the router, have always run merlin code from the start.

I read with interest about using a swap file on the router may that resolve my issue?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Paul....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!