What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Check your Firefox permissions. I had an issue where the VPN page wouldn't load, it'd give me the login screen so I deleted permissions.sqlite in my FF profile folder. That seemed to fix that issue for someone else also though yours seems a bit different. Might try deleting your cache.
Thx man, but none of the both ways helped me out. Still got the index loading without a header or a menu bar :-/

I posted my dy.fi ddns-start script directly to the wiki. It's here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS#dyfi

By the way ... does anyone else here ssh into their router using Connectbot on Android? I'm using the irssi-connectbot fork of it, and I keep getting strange errors whenever I try to do something. For example, I ssh to my Raspberry Pi through the router, but using connectbot the ssh-command fails with some "--ctuple-blabla" not defined error. The exact same command works when I ssh from my Jolla. At home, I can ssh into the Raspberry Pi using Connectbot, just not going through the router.

Could anyone shed any light as to why my Xperia Z5 phone is throwing up DNS errors whilst still showing as connected to my AC68U via Wi Fi and specifically the 2.4ghz channel? When connected to the 5ghz channel it works without issue.

My phone has been connected to the Belkin 7800n at work all day on the 2.4ghz channel and it hasn't had any issues so it must be something in the router specifically. I'm running the firmware in this thread.

I posted my dy.fi ddns-start script directly to the wiki. It's here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-DDNS#dyfi

By the way ... does anyone else here ssh into their router using Connectbot on Android? I'm using the irssi-connectbot fork of it, and I keep getting strange errors whenever I try to do something. For example, I ssh to my Raspberry Pi through the router, but using connectbot the ssh-command fails with some "--ctuple-blabla" not defined error. The exact same command works when I ssh from my Jolla. At home, I can ssh into the Raspberry Pi using Connectbot, just not going through the router.

Connectbot v1.8.6
Samsung S5 Android 5 - connects to RT-AC56U OK
Nexus 7 Android 6 - connects to RT-Ac56U OK

My Rt-AC3200 has now been up for almost 6 days with 378.56_2 Thanks. Average time before this was 3.5 days.

But when I when to look at the Traffic Analyzer everything works except the 5Ghz tab which reports Zero. That's interesting since I am currently copying 500 gigabytes over a 5ghz connect directly to the router. The laptop sez it's moving at 9.27MB/Sec and the only connection is via a ASUS USB-AC56 on 5ghz ? This copy is between two large disks plugged into the router.
upload_2015-11-9_12-45-48.png

Looking at the view list under smart connect(smart connect is off, just find this useful)
upload_2015-11-9_12-52-24.png

Where is it showing as enabled? Did you reboot after enabling IPTraffic?

Under Tools -> Sysinfo -> Network. I did reboot afer enabling it.

I'm getting the same behaviour on my N66U - I click on List Clients, an unpopulated popup displays, and after a few seconds it populates, displays for maybe a couple of seconds, then I get logged out. This happens on two PCs.

Just tried it again - eventually displayed OK, but seemed to lock up - I could not close the popup (which went semi-transparent). Eventually it disappeared, but the screen was unresponsive. Clicking on another option then logged me out.

Welcome to the club. :) Did you try a factory reset?

Maybe try factory defaults, I did and Im not seeing these issues.

I haven't done that yet, but looks like I should.

Looks like having a usb device plugged into the port drops my internet connection from a 130mb to about 3mb. This is with a RT-AC66U and Merlin's latest here (and the previous version). Reset to default didn't help. Any ideas? Possibly a bug that has been mentioned 1000x already? If so, sorry.

Hello all. I am running 378.55 on the RT-N66U will i be able to upgrade, and restore my settings without issue?

Last edited:
Hello all. I am running 378.55 on the RT-N66U will i be able to upgrade, and restore my settings without issue?

Since we don't know your setup, who can say?

You could try using john9527's NVRAM save/restore utility, but I would suggest you upgrade the firmware, reset to factory defaults and set it up again from scratch instead.

The avahi daemon on ASUSWRT by Merlin v378.56-2 has elected to consume all of the processing power of one of the CPUs on my Asus RT-AC56U router, and when it is restarted it complains of receiving invalid packets. I was only able to discover it, when logging in before the router crashed entirely.

It may explain the somewhat random crashes I've been having, which have required router reboots, as well as causing severe problems for Windows 10 machines (multiple, repeated IPV6 addresses [literally 100s], high CPU usage, poor response to human inputs). These computers are rendered useless.

The event viewer on the Windows 10 side includes:
1. mDNS_Execute: m->NewLocalRecords exceeded loop limit
2. Timed out waiting for acknowledgement of machine sleep

This commit in Avahi that may be relevant:
https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/commit/de7cde877e4daa5d9d4fb5b1a349299eaa94969d

Unfortunately, I think this only stops the logging of the problem, rather than fixing the underlying issue. Hence the filling of the log with all those messages before Merlin stopped that logging.

When I restart the avahi daemon after the problem has occurred once, one CPU immediately goes to 100, and I see the following messages in the syslog on the router:

Nov 9 20:57:23 avahi-daemon[27237]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.1.100.
Nov 9 20:57:23 avahi-daemon[27237]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.1.101.

When run without being a daemon, I also find error:

Received packet from invalid interface.

This error corresponds to a avahi_dns_packet_get_field in the commit avahi git.

It can take days until the problem occurs.

These Windows 10 machines (.100 & .101) are running mdnsresponder from iTunes.

Even if I do not use iTunes on the routers, avahi is still started, and I suspect it as the underlying problem.

I'll try to inform the avahi developers about this information, but I am not quite sure how to get in touch.

For now, I have iTunes turned off under the web setting for the router, but I am also killing off the daemon at each dhcp-event.

Thanks,

Pablo

Last edited:
My phone was getting random DNS errors on the 2.4ghz band on Wi-Fi , changing to Johns Fork fixed that.

Connectbot v1.8.6
Samsung S5 Android 5 - connects to RT-AC56U OK
Nexus 7 Android 6 - connects to RT-Ac56U OK

Ok, I guess it could be an irssi-connectbot issue then. But for me it also connects Ok, the issue occurs when I try to ssh to another machine from inside the ssh-session - any chance you could try that and see if you get similar results?

Hi,

I use the ssh socks proxy a lot. Since I updated to 378.56_2 some sites will not load thorugh the proxy while others work without problem. Sites like www.google.com and www.yahoo.com do not work but others do (like www.snbforums.com). If I use ipv4.google.com it also works. I think it is somehow related to the fact that some sites like to load their ipv6 versions and this fails if your router doesn't have a ipv6 connection (just a gues).

I have a n66u router.

Previous versions of the FW did work perfectly on all pages. Maybe a bug in the new version of dropbear?

Marc

Last edited:
Since we don't know your setup, who can say?

You could try using john9527's NVRAM save/restore utility, but I would suggest you upgrade the firmware, reset to factory defaults and set it up again from scratch instead.

Thanks for the reply. I have it setup in router mode. I guess i will leave it as is for now. Really don't want to reconfigure everything again for now.

I have per IP Monitoring enabled yet the router still reports hardware acceleration is enabled in Tools--> System Information ???

Hi,

I use the ssh socks proxy a lot. Since I updated to 378.56_2 some sites will not load thorugh the proxy while others work without problem. Sites like www.google.com and www.yahoo.com do not work but others do (like www.snbforums.com). If I use ipv4.google.com it also works. I think it is somehow related to the fact that some sites like to load their ipv6 versions and this fails if your router doesn't have a ipv6 connection (just a gues).

Previous versions of the FW did work perfectly on all pages. Maybe a bug in the new version of dropbear?

Marc
I had a similar problem reported on my fork, but only on Chrome browser. If you are using Chrome, can you try a different browser?

Hi Folks,

Flashed last Sunday on my RT-N66U the 378.56_2, but had problems with IP V6 on my router. The unit keeps booting. Tried reseting to default config and starting again from scratch, but it did not worked.

I flashed back the 378.55 and everything is back to normal, with IP V6 working again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paulo

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!