What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanks for your answer, no so extra procedures or special tools? just a factory reset after flashing with the built?

and what about the 5ghz ? i read that it was broken in this built, is there a way to fix it?
thank you! :)
There are issues on the 57-Alpha version for the AC66U - not on 56_2 version and not on N66U router! :oops:
Just flash and be happy (remove USB drives before and reboot to have enough RAM free for the flashing procedure)! ;)

Mine too! :rolleyes:
Because there are processes/applications running with active access to the HDD! :eek:
Like wath there is NO WIFI to the Router its OFF and NO cable, its just a router with a HDD to it.

Good Morning !

Just installed 378.56_2 on an Asus RT-AC3200, I was using 378_55 before. Dual wan setup don't seem to work properly, the light turn red for few seconds and go white, My computer don't have internet access, I have to disable the Dual wan to get the internet back !

Any idea ?

Best Regards,

Sylvain

Hello,
how can i fix this failure?
I use a AC68U as an AP.

Code:
Aug  1 02:07:21 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:07:48 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:08:15 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:08:42 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:09:09 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:09:36 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:10:03 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:10:30 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:10:57 ntp: start NTP update

Hello,
how can i fix this failure?
I use a AC68U as an AP.

Code:
Aug  1 02:07:21 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:07:48 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:08:15 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:08:42 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:09:09 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:09:36 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:10:03 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:10:30 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 02:10:57 ntp: start NTP update

I am having major NTP issues as well with this update on my AC56U. I was occasionally having them before this update and the system time would be set to Jan 1 2015, after a few reboots it would usually correct itself to the correct time.

I saw in the notes for this update that there is an NTP fix so I installed it, and now it's even worse. My system time resets to Aug 1 2015 and no amount of reboots seem to correct the issue. The router says I'm connected to the web and the ISP supplied router/modem is indeed connected to the web, but I'm getting no web access through my Asus.

Please advise!?

Lots and lots of this:
Code:
Aug  1 08:03:09 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:03:15 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug  1 08:03:15 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug  1 08:03:24 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:03:25 openvpn[2611]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: [i've removed the vpn address]: Name or service not known
Aug  1 08:03:39 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:03:45 openvpn[2611]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: [i've removed the vpn address]: Name or service not known
Aug  1 08:03:45 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug  1 08:03:45 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug  1 08:03:54 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:04:05 openvpn[2611]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: [i've removed the vpn address]: Name or service not known
Aug  1 08:04:10 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:04:15 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug  1 08:04:15 hour monitor: ntp is not syn
Aug  1 08:04:25 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:04:25 openvpn[2611]: RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: [i've removed the vpn address]: Name or service not known
Aug  1 08:04:40 ntp: start NTP update
Aug  1 08:04:45 hour monitor: daemon is starting
Aug  1 08:04:45 hour monitor: ntp is not syn

Last edited:
Hi,

After upgrading entware to entware-ng using the following command,
Code:
wget -O - http://entware.zyxmon.org/binaries/mipsel/installer/upgrade.sh | sh

Everything works fine, in fact the packages from entware-ng are better. However, I'm having an issue which I am really scratching my head to resolve. On router reboot, as usual, it will execute the scripts from /jffs/scripts folder. I can see that the scripts are executed. Below are excerpt from the log,
Code:
Aug  1 08:00:14 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/services-start
Aug  1 08:00:19 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/post-mount (args: /tmp/mnt/OPT)
Aug  1 08:00:21 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/post-mount (args: /tmp/mnt/storage1)

However, it turns out that the scripts did not run. I had the "post-mount" script to actually echo some text and the text should appear in the log (it did previously before I upgraded to entware-ng). The services that the scripts should run also did not run. If I logged in using SSH client and execute the scripts, everything runs fine (the text I mentioned above is echoed out correctly and the services are run). Below is the result of me executing one of the script,
Code:
root@RT-N66U:/# /jffs/scripts/post-mount /tmp/mnt/OPT
OPT mounted
starting pyLoad
Daemon PID 917
Starting lighttpd...              done.
Starting transmission-daemon...              done.
Starting minidlna...              done.
Starting flexget...              done.
root@RT-N66U:/#

Any help to resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Any help to resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

To debug what's going on you should add some logging to the script. My suggestion is to have the start/stop of the script logged into syslog.log and to create a specific log file per script.

Add the following add-ons to your scripts in /jffs/scripts to have more details.

Write the effective start of the script into syslog.log (add as first line after the shebang):
/usr/bin/logger -t START_$(basename $0) "started [$@]"

Create a specific log file per script in /tmp (add at the beginning of the script):
SCRLOG=/tmp/$(basename $0).log
touch $SCRLOG
NOW=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
echo $NOW "START_$(basename $0) started [$@]" >> $SCRLOG

Use the log file by adding to each command:
'command' >> $SCRLOG

Final logging at the end of the script:
NOW=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
then
echo $NOW "Error in script execution! Script: $0" >> $SCRLOG
else
echo $NOW "Script execution OK. Script: $0" >> $SCRLOG
fi
/usr/bin/logger -t STOP_$(basename $0) "return code $?"

Now you can see it the script was really started and when it ended in syslog.log - plus all the messages of the commands are logged into the /tmp log file.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: Such logging is actually a good practice for scripting to have evidence when things go wrong and to be able to check when things go well!

Last edited:
Hi,

I added the logging snippet into my scripts and I found the following line in rc.unslung not executed,
Code:
for i in $(find /opt/etc/init.d/ -perm '-u+x' -name 'S*' | sort $ORDER ) ;

To test that whether it is working or not, I executed the following in SSH client,
Code:
find /opt/etc/init.d/ -perm '-u+x' -name 'S*' | sort $ORDER
and the result is,
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S51pyload
/opt/etc/init.d/S80lighttpd
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission
/opt/etc/init.d/S90minidlna
/opt/etc/init.d/S99flexget

I then add the following into rc.unslung and reboot the router,
Code:
find /opt/etc/init.d/ -perm '-u+x' -name 'S*' | sort $ORDER >> $SCRLOG

and it doesn't seem to produce any result in the log as the log only contains the following,
Code:
2015-12-19 10:12:00 START_rc.unslung started [start]
2015-12-19 10:12:00 Script execution OK. Script: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung

Please note that if I run rc.unslung in SSH client, it executes everything properly. The "find" doesn't seems to produce any result when the script is run by the scripts in /jffs/script during startup. Also, I've checked the path 'opt/etc/init.d/' exists at that point and rc.unslung is executed from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try adding the path to the find command......the router also has a built in find with much more limited options.

Try adding the path to the find command......the router also has a built in find with much more limited options.
Hi,

I can't seem to find the "find" command anywhere in bin and sbin.

Btw, I tried executing "find -- help >> SCRLOG" and nothing is logged too. The thing is, it was working find using the original entware and the script is created by the entware installation script.

It's in /usr/bin as a symlink to the busybox binary.
Hi,

Sigh, it doesn't seem to work. I tried the following. All with no result,
Code:
echo test 1 >> $SCRLOG
/bin/busybox find --help >> $SCRLOG
echo test 2 >> $SCRLOG
/usr/bin/find --help >>$SRCLOG

The log content is as follow,
Code:
2015-08-01 08:00:26 START_rc.unslung started [start]
test 1
test 2
2015-08-01 08:00:26 Script execution OK. Script: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung

UPDATE:
Ignore the above. The busybox version of "find" does work. It just that it won't output the result into $SCRLOG. The busybox "find" does not support "-perm" though, so this is what I changed the line in rc.unslung to,

from,
Code:
for i in $(find /opt/etc/init.d/ -perm '-u+x' -name 'S*' | sort $ORDER ) ;

to
Code:
for i in $(/bin/busybox find /opt/etc/init.d/ -name 'S*' | sort $ORDER ) ;

Thanks for the help john9527. You really save my day. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced random 68U reboots when using this version with a USB 3.0 drive connected? I am running a brand new 68U with the 1000 mhz CPU. This is my first experience with Merlin FW, and also with the 68U router itself, so I have no prior knowledge of known issues/behavior with either.

We installed the router yesterday and updated to "378.56_2" of Merlin immediately after it was determined that the latest stock ASUS firmware breaks the 2.4 ghz band's internet connections for all connected devices.

Flashing the above Merlin FW to the router resolved the dead 2.4 issue, but since then, this brand new 68U has rebooted itself randomly 5 times in less than 24 hours. We have a USB 3.0 drive connected to the router for use as a TimeMachine backup drive, which due to the reboots has proved useless. We can't get through our first backup before the router reboots and blows the backup session out of the water.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help john9527. You really save my day. Thanks again.
Glad you got it figured out.....and sorry I wasn't clearer in my original suggestion. I was really thinking of adding the path to the entware 'find' to make sure that is the one that got used.

Has anyone experienced random 68U reboots when using this version with a USB 3.0 drive connected? I am running a brand new 68U with the 1000 mhz CPU. This is my first experience with Merlin FW, and also with the 68U router itself, so I have no prior knowledge of known issues/behavior with either.

We installed the router yesterday and updated to "378.56_2" of Merlin immediately after it was determined that the latest stock ASUS firmware breaks the 2.4 ghz band's internet connections for all connected devices.

Flashing the above Merlin FW to the router resolved the dead 2.4 issue, but since then, this brand new 68U has rebooted itself randomly 5 times in less than 24 hours. We have a USB 3.0 drive connected to the router for use as a TimeMachine backup drive, which due to the reboots has proved useless. We can't get through our first backup before the router reboots and blows the backup session out of the water.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I have not experienced this on my RT-AC68P (like the router that you have *smile*), the same firmware is working fine for me. When you flashed 378.56_2, did you do a factory default reset and re-enter your configuration settings manually? This is the sort of random problem that might occur if you hadn't done that.

Give it a try, if you haven't already, and see what happens.

Last edited:
I have not experienced this on my RT-AC68P (like the router that you have *smile*), the same firmware is working fine for me. When you flashed 378.56_2, did you do a factory default reset and re-enter your configuration settings manually? This is the sort of random problem that might occur if you hadn't done that.

Give it a try, if you haven't already, and see what happens.

I resolved this issue by turning on the TrendNet AiProtect stuff. Lord knows why that would have made a difference, but it did. The router made it up to 27 hours of operation after that change before I attempted to use the latest Alpha 4 which broke my 2.4 band's internet access, so I went back to 378.56_2.

Up to 15 hours now since then and I plan to let it ride for the next few days and see if those remaining debug files cause a NO RAM available problem down the road. Would love to be able to run the Alpha 4 version, but I have far too many devices that rely on the 2.4G side, which refuses to run properly on anything above 56_2, including the latest stock firmware.

I just got this error today.
"Dec 22 03:04:22 dnsmasq-dhcp[23655]: failed to write /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases: No space left on device (retry in 60s)"

The wireless log doesn't have a name to the ip and DHCP leases is blank"No active leases.

NVM, I resolved it.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!