What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My main router is a RT-AC68U and I have a RT-AC66U ethernet connected to it as Access Point. I think this is what you describe.
No issues exept that clients list names that are not synchronized bettween the main router and the AP. That's not a big deal but I wich this list would be synchronized.
One other thing is that when operating in AP the router will not show you the "Switch Control" tab that allow to configure Jumbo Frames and/or Spanning-Tree Protocol, when I think it should...
Other than that all works fine for my setup.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll try it out tonight.

Interesting. I assume it means that the way it tests the forward is what's failing, not the UPnP forwards themselves.
yes the forwards is clearly working but can,t break through the firewall with Merlin loopback

Did you do a factory reset after upgrading from 378.55 to 378.56?
A factory reset after every upgrade is probably the best thing to do :)
Yes and still happens. Same also happening on a factory reseted and updated AC68U.

The same thing will probably occur when you click on the SSIDs. If you use the IP address of the router, these problems will go away.

Adding the hostname under the LAN->Device Name as Merlin suggested to me did not resolve the issue, and I am using the IP address as a workaround.

Pablo

Same. Accessing via IP address as workaround, too.

Hi, I tried the firmware.. on my RT-AC87R. Upgraded from 378.56 which works just fine. The router cannot connect to the WAN with this firmware... logged in to the router and reviewed pppd options... working firmware 378.56_0 pppd options are:

noauth
refuse-eap
user 'xxxxxxxxxxx@prodigy.net.mx'
password 'xxxxxxxx'
nomppe nomppc
plugin rp-pppoe.so nic-eth0
rp_pppoe_service 'Telmex Infinitum Fiber Optics'
mru 1492 mtu 1492
persist
holdoff 10
maxfail 0
ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local noipdefault
ktune
default-asyncmap nopcomp noaccomp
novj nobsdcomp nodeflate
lcp-echo-interval 6
lcp-echo-failure 10
unit 0
linkname wan0

On 378.56_2 pppd options look like this:

noauth
refuse-eap
user 'xxxxxxxxxxx@prodigy.net.mx'
password 'xxxxxxxx'
nomppe nomkppc
plugin rp-pppoe.so nic-vlan881
rp_pppoe_service 'Telmex Infinitum Fiber Optics'
mru 1492 mtu 1492
persist
holdoff 10
maxfail 0
ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local noipdefault
ktune
default-asyncmap nopcomp noaccomp
novj nobsdcomp nodeflate
lcp-echo-interval 6
lcp-echo-failure 10
unit 0
linkname wan0

So, there´s a clear difference highlighted in red. Why is this happening? How can I fix this issue? Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you,

D.

Last edited:
Edit: Finally figured it out. I had to delete permissions.sqlite in my profile folder. I checked and changed permissions through the FF interface, which was a no-go, until I just deleted and undeleted files one by one in the profile folder until something worked. Also, just noticed FF now has audio notification on tabs. It's about time.

RMerlin, thanks for the great firmware. I just updated to 378.56_2 on my N66U and no issues so far. I have one small problem with Firefox and the VPN page. This is probably not an issue with the firmware as it works with Chrome and Edge and had the same issue with the previous .55 firmware. I go to any other page on the router, I have no issues. If I go to Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp it keeps prompting me to login and when I analyze with HTTPfox, I get error_status=1. It won't ever let me login to change VPN settings, it takes me back to the main page upon login.

I tried this so far:

Downloaded Firefox portable to test with (no issue)
Cleared cookies
Disabled addons
Updated Firefox to 42.0
Cleared my password for router login

No big deal but since FF is my main browser, it'd be great if someone had a fix or suggestion.

Last edited:
Hi ...
First of all thanks for this great firmware.
Just noticed a couple of small things in the OpenVPN configuration main page (not sure if it was already like this previously):
Selection_017.png

As you can see there's a small typo.
And the progress indicator spins continuously.

I see these messages in the syslog:
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: TITLE,OpenVPN 2.3.8 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [MH] [IPv6] built on Nov 2 2015
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: TIME,Wed Nov 4 12:41:51 2015,1446640911
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: HEADER,CLIENT_LIST,Common Name,Real Address,Virtual Address,Bytes Received,Bytes Sent,Connected Since,Connected Since (time_t),Username
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: HEADER,ROUTING_TABLE,Virtual Address,Common Name,Real Address,Last Ref,Last Ref (time_t)
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: GLOBAL_STATS,Max bcast/mcast queue length,0
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: END

Best regards.
PS: This is on a RT-AC87U with 378.56_2

Last edited:
After upgrading to 56_2 the Site Survey page is dead. It could not detect any wireless networks under Active or Passive.
Advanced Setting -> Wireless -> Site Survey

It was working fine in 56 Beta 2.
All the rest seems fine for now.

Still receiving the "mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong" after upgrading from 378.56 to 378.56_2. RT-AC56R. I did not factory reset. I'll try that when I can.

After upgrading to 56_2 the Site Survey page is dead. It could not detect any wireless networks under Active or Passive.
Advanced Setting -> Wireless -> Site Survey

It was working fine in 56 Beta 2.
All the rest seems fine for now.
Have you reset your router to firmware defaults before upgrading?

Because it works perfectly for me. It worked on all older firmware versions on which I used it and also works on 56_2. I assume that I'm not the exception.

Have you reset your router to firmware defaults before upgrading?

Because it works perfectly for me. It worked on all older firmware versions on which I used it and also works on 56_2. I assume that I'm not the exception.

Can I import back the settings after reset to defaults.
Don't want to grow through ages to setup all the configurations all over again for 20 devices.

Still receiving the "mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong" after upgrading from 378.56 to 378.56_2. RT-AC56R. I did not factory reset. I'll try that when I can.

Change the "Log only messages more urgent than" from "All" to "Debug" on the System -> Administration page.

And the progress indicator spins continuously.

It's an old hard-to-track issue. Manually set its state to ready over SSH:

Code:
nvram set vpn_server1_state=2
nvram commit

I see these messages in the syslog:
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: TITLE,OpenVPN 2.3.8 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [MH] [IPv6] built on Nov 2 2015
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: TIME,Wed Nov 4 12:41:51 2015,1446640911
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: HEADER,CLIENT_LIST,Common Name,Real Address,Virtual Address,Bytes Received,Bytes Sent,Connected Since,Connected Since (time_t),Username
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: HEADER,ROUTING_TABLE,Virtual Address,Common Name,Real Address,Last Ref,Last Ref (time_t)
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: GLOBAL_STATS,Max bcast/mcast queue length,0
Nov 4 12:41:51 openvpn[1005]: END

This is normal. When the router asks the OpenVPN server to provide statistics (for the VPN Status page), it dumps all its info into the syslog.

Change the "Log only messages more urgent than" from "All" to "Debug" on the System -> Administration page.
hi RMerlin, i had same problem (on XVortex - as i use R7000) but "Log only messages more urgent than" "Debug" was selected, syslogd still showed 7.
i changed then the selection field to "info" which is working now as syslogd -l 6
could there be some misunderstanding with the term "more urgent then"?

It's an old hard-to-track issue. Manually set its state to ready over SSH:

Code:
nvram set vpn_server1_state=2
nvram commit

This is normal. When the router asks the OpenVPN server to provide statistics (for the VPN Status page), it dumps all its info into the syslog.
Thanks ! Now it appears normally.
Selection_018.png

Please try to copy file of size >3Gb over 802.11ac 5GHz. I can`t. Download less then 60% and timeout. Maybe it is a problem of my laptop. Please try.
Is this a SAMBA file transfer from a device plugged into the router USB ports? Or is it just a transfer from one network server PC or NAS device or client PC, to another?

Also ideally you would tell us if you had this problem with previous versions of the Merlin software, but involving the exact same hardware setup.

Can I import back the settings after reset to defaults.
Don't want to grow through ages to setup all the configurations all over again for 20 devices.

Site Survey works well for me, too, and I also did a reset to factory defaults after flashing. And the whole idea of doing a reset is start from factory defaults, and reconfigure from there. If you import your old settings via a saved .cfg file, that will just re-import the problems that you were having before the reset. You need to manually reconfigure your router after a reset to factory defaults to get a totally fresh start.

There is a way, though, to do your configuration settings restore, using a script file that you run on the router via telnet or ssh after resetting to factory defaults. This restores your old settings via the router command line:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/

hi RMerlin, i had same problem (on XVortex - as i use R7000) but "Log only messages more urgent than" "Debug" was selected, syslogd still showed 7.
i changed then the selection field to "info" which is working now as syslogd -l 6
could there be some misunderstanding with the term "more urgent then"?

Could be Info indeed, I was going from memory.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!