What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Didn't know that, thanks for the additional info.
We actually did a fair amount of characterization of what was happening with some debug code prior to picking up the fix. The 5 minute interval was measured with some debug logging.

Is this an error? is posible get the Traffic Analyzer/Statistic option in AP mode?

No. Traffic Analyzer expects the router to have both a LAN and a WAN. In AP mode it only has a LAN, so it cannot track traffic going to the Internet.

I have some problems after the upgrade from RT-AC68U_378.55_0 to RT-AC68U_378.56_2.
I had constant 100% cpu usage. I then checked with "top" and the problem was 3 processes dm2_transmission, dm2_amuled, dm2_nzbget.
I then commented all calls of dm2 in "/opt/etc/init.d/S50downloadmaster".
Now I only have 50% constant CPU usage but now it is "asus_lighttpd".

https://img2.picload.org/image/plclwgd/top-001.png
https://img2.picload.org/image/plclwgo/top-002.png

I will now try to find out how to get rid of download master and if I get the web server working normal again or finally try a factory reset.

Update: OK, renaming the folder "asusware.arm" on the USB-Drive and rebooting fixed the problem.

Last edited:
I'm running 378.56_2 on my AC3200 and the GUI shows that Core 1 is locked at 100% while Core 2 is around 2-3%. So I connected via SSH and here is what the TOP command shows:

Mem: 92608K used, 162964K free, 0K shrd, 1844K buff, 10712K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 0.1% sys 0.0% nic 48.9% idle 48.5% io 0.0% irq 2.3% sirq
Load average: 3.05 3.06 3.05 2/93 1076
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
450 2 admin SW 0 0.0 1 0.6 [kworker/1:2]
3 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 0.1 [ksoftirqd/0]
807 1 admin S 6568 2.5 1 0.0 httpd
482 1 admin S 6164 2.4 0 0.0 watchdog
1 0 admin S 6164 2.4 1 0.0 /sbin/preinit
483 1 admin S 6160 2.4 1 0.0 watchdog02

2015-11-06 01.32.43 pm.png

Any thoughts as to why the GUI shows 100% on Core 1 with top showing almost no CPU activity?
-Stach

Last edited:
Not a fan of the new MAC filter page. one of the previous releases changed the separate 2.4 and 5 lists to one long list. didnt bother me much. i dont have a preference either way really. now its back to separate lists, but the label field is gone. i have a decent sized list of devices and the ability easily identify which is which with labels is invaluable. most stuff doesnt report a hostname or just repeats the MAC as a hostname or simply shows "Android" or other generic name; none of which is helpful. i want device labels back please!

Not a fan of the new MAC filter page. one of the previous releases changed the separate 2.4 and 5 lists to one long list. didnt bother me much. i dont have a preference either way really. now its back to separate lists, but the label field is gone. i have a decent sized list of devices and the ability easily identify which is which with labels is invaluable. most stuff doesnt report a hostname or just repeats the MAC as a hostname or simply shows "Android" or other generic name; none of which is helpful. i want device labels back please!
nevermind, i figured it out. if you click on the icon by the device after you add it, you can change the name there.

Hello,
I just went to 56_2 on a RT-AC66 coming from 55. Reset was done before and after installing new FW.
There are 2 things that are not working as expected :
- I cannot SSH in the router from LAN when WAN is down (???)
- My backup broadband (Huawei E160 USB key) does not work correctly : I got it up only once but it seems there are problems that are not very clear in the logs. Looks like my config is correct as it worked once but it seems it will only work if a specfic sequence is followed : reboot w/o the USB dongle, plugin the dongle, get WAN down, up and down again and then it will work but only once. Weird.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Implementing the no-drop-caches fixed the AC68
i confirm on my side, firefox is much faster for the Gui interface but i dont see any changes when browsing web or gaming or downloads, everything is normal
I can also confim, that the GUI response and "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic" graph display are much faster when setting "nvram set drop_caches=0".

Upgraded from 378.55-beta2 to 378.56_2 today. I keep getting directed to log in again after hitting "Apply" in OpenVPN client settings (/Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp) or trying to enable the client. This prevents me from using the OpenVPN client.

Is it possible / within your control to fix this grammer in the firmware update page? On the signature Version check, it says "Signature update completely"... I would expect something more like "Signature update completed" or "Signature update complete" or... something else?

Screenshot 2015-11-06 22.12.43.png

I can also confim, that the GUI response and "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic" graph display are much faster when setting "nvram set drop_caches=0".

That's one specific location where I suspected it might make a difference, since the database is in sql format, on the JFFS2 partition. I just never checked to see if the bottleneck was the database access, or the web browser.

Is it possible / within your control to fix this grammer in the firmware update page? On the signature Version check, it says "Signature update completely"... I would expect something more like "Signature update completed" or "Signature update complete" or... something else?

View attachment 4740

At least half of the content of the dictionary files are in need of a thorough revision by a native speaker. I don't know if you were around back when the webui was telling us that we had been "logined out", a few years ago... This is something Asus is aware of, and have already plans to resolve these issues.

In the mean time, I avoid making any change to the dictionary files, are those would be a huge pain to merge - Asus makes changes to them with every single firmware release.

Upgraded from 378.55-beta2 to 378.56_2 today. I keep getting directed to log in again after hitting "Apply" in OpenVPN client settings (/Advanced_OpenVPNClient_Content.asp) or trying to enable the client. This prevents me from using the OpenVPN client.

Access your router by its IP rather than by its name. A few users have encountered that problem, but I'm unable to reproduce it. Since the issue also exists in the stock firmware, this is something Asus will no doubt resolve eventually. They are still finetuning the new authentication system that they implemented a few months ago.

Anybody have thoughts on why one CPU is now pegged at 100% in the GUI? -Stach

I'm running 378.56_2 on my AC3200 and the GUI shows that Core 1 is locked at 100% while Core 2 is around 2-3%. So I connected via SSH and here is what the TOP command shows:

Mem: 92608K used, 162964K free, 0K shrd, 1844K buff, 10712K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 0.1% sys 0.0% nic 48.9% idle 48.5% io 0.0% irq 2.3% sirq
Load average: 3.05 3.06 3.05 2/93 1076
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
450 2 admin SW 0 0.0 1 0.6 [kworker/1:2]
3 2 admin SW 0 0.0 0 0.1 [ksoftirqd/0]
807 1 admin S 6568 2.5 1 0.0 httpd
482 1 admin S 6164 2.4 0 0.0 watchdog
1 0 admin S 6164 2.4 1 0.0 /sbin/preinit
483 1 admin S 6160 2.4 1 0.0 watchdog02

View attachment 4735

Any thoughts as to why the GUI shows 100% on Core 1 with top showing almost no CPU activity?
-Stach

Anybody have thoughts on why one CPU is now pegged at 100% in the GUI? -Stach
I expect top and the gui actually match....your top output is a composite across both CPUs, so average across both CPUs is 50% busy. To see each CPU in top, after starting top press '1' (that's the number one key) and it will show each CPU individually. Why one CPU is so busy, that I don't know.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!