What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, that should wipe the maclist filters clean....if not, it means they REALLY changed something.:(

thanks - the commands wiped alls entries from the maclist filters :)
Added all mac-addresses again and now everything is fine.

I found only another issue with the maclist.
the old mac-addresses were still visible on the guest-network page. As soon as I tried to delete an entry from this page, the router-login page was displayed.
In this case I have deactivated the guest-network and configured a new one - now I can add and delete mac-addresses from this page also.

thanks - the commands wiped alls entries from the maclist filters :)
Added all mac-addresses again and now everything is fine.

I found only another issue with the maclist.
the old mac-addresses were still visible on the guest-network page. As soon as I tried to delete an entry from this page, the router-login page was displayed.
In this case I have deactivated the guest-network and configured a new one - now I can add and delete mac-addresses from this page also.
Thanks for the feedback on the interaction with the guest networks....I'll check into that as well.

Yes, that should wipe the maclist filters clean....if not, it means they REALLY changed something.:(

I had inserted a description field in those settings. But in recent GPL updates, Asus completely revamped the webui for some pages, including the MAC filter list, and this new code makes it next to impossible for me to maintain my old description field support, so I had to revert that code. That means however that the webui will choke on those existing entries that contain an extra field.

For DHCP, I avoid the issue by simply keeping my custom code, and ignoring Asus's new design. It drew some whining, but it's definitely the best solution in this case, as the removal of hostname support would be a functional step backward, versus the MAC list that's merely a simple description.

How wifi signal strength in this image with asus rt-n66u router?Maybe string like hgg mod image or very low?
Merlin's firmware follows the Asus standards (regulatory rules!) and this leads to no difference to the Asus standard firmware.
As tweaks in this area might not be legal they are not part of this firmware fork and are not discussed. :rolleyes:

Merlin's firmware follows the Asus standards (regulatory rules!) and this leads to no difference to the Asus standard firmware.
As tweaks in this area might not be legal they are not part of this firmware fork and are not discussed. :rolleyes:

But according to what i've read, the other build 15.v is better with regard of wifi strength? Am I right? I'm trying as well to understand what build I should use on my 68u..
thanks for the help :))

AC66: coming from 378.55, 378.56_2 killed my 5G wifi.

It's long time since this last happened, so had forgotten the only way to make 5G radio to come back is to flash an Asus official firmware, then clear nvram && mtd-erase -d nvram , then poweroff, then flash Merlin fw.

Ok i wait hgg new firmware.Wifi signal strength is priority to me.I not used original merlin firmware.Because wifi coverage is very shirt

It's long time since this last happened, so had forgotten the only way to make 5G radio to come back is to flash an Asus official firmware, then clear nvram && mtd-erase -d nvram , then poweroff, then flash Merlin fw.
Several AC66 owners (including me) reported 5 GHz not working with 380.57a3, though I think it worked for them with 378.56_2 and earlier versions (at least it did for me).

The common factor so far was using the AC66U outside the US. Where do you use it? And what BSSID did you have with no 5 Ghz? (We have 00:00:00:00:00:00)

Several AC66 owners (including me) reported 5 GHz not working with 380.57a3, though I think it worked for them with 378.56_2 and earlier versions (at least it did for me).

The common factor so far was using the AC66U outside the US. Where do you use it? And what BSSID did you have with no 5 Ghz? (We have 00:00:00:00:00:00)
Canada , and using as a media bridge was a no go , nothing worked at all , had to hold reset button as it went into a loop of load new FW once I got to set up . Tried 4 times to get it working

Ah, RMerlin found the root cause for the newer build problem already (378/380 incompatibility).

Seems unrelated to your issue.

My USB HDD are spinninga around 24/7?
Mine too! :rolleyes:
Because there are processes/applications running with active access to the HDD! :eek:

Ah, RMerlin found the root cause for the newer build problem already (378/380 incompatibility).

Seems unrelated to your issue.
Well I hope the next stable build will work , I see AC 66 is no longer listed in the 378 test build list

Last edited:

Outside US, didn't come to check bssid when 5G didn't work. Just to recap, this happened while moving from 55_0 to 56_2. For some reason when this happens (luckily rarely!), flashing to any Merlin fw won't fix the problem, have to go with original Asus fw first, then Merlin, at least that's my experience.

When the 5G problem manifests clients only see a very weak signal 1-2 bars, and none can connect. Half of the time 5G signal even isn't there, it looks like the 5G radio would keep on reseting itself but won't succeed.

I am running 378.56_2 and under my Traffic Monitor when I look for Daily for all devices, I see my computer for example shows 10MB. Not a chance, I am in in the many gigs today. I recently wiped my many months old Merlin data when I tried out Tomato and DD-WRT, then came back to Merlin... so I know this DID work correctly in previous builds. I wiped the traffic dir on the microSD and then started fresh, but its wrong.

any ideas?

I am running 378.56_2 and under my Traffic Monitor when I look for Daily for all devices, I see my computer for example shows 10MB. Not a chance, I am in in the many gigs today. I recently wiped my many months old Merlin data when I tried out Tomato and DD-WRT, then came back to Merlin... so I know this DID work correctly in previous builds. I wiped the traffic dir on the microSD and then started fresh, but its wrong.

any ideas?

Disable NAT acceleration. Asus added a notice on the traffic monitor page mentioning that the two aren't 100% compatible.

Hi everybody
could you please enlight me about the best procedure to flash the n66 from the stock asus firmware to this merlin built?
i've been reading like 30-40 pages including the wiki and i'm a bit lost because from one side i read that i can just flash and go from the other side i 've read that i have to do a factory reset and then use some kind of utility name vrad.. this to evade issues..
what is the best and safest way?
would you recommend to wait for the next merlin built ( i'm getting my router next friday) or could i just use this one?
thanks for your help and answers

Depend from which firmware you come. Try simply flashing with 378.56_2 and reset after "Factory to Defaults" and if you cant flash directly to 56_2 , flash before with 378.55 and after with 378.56_2

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!