What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Btw, I noticed another issue with SAMBA in this case, rather if I try to set the access from anyone on the network, the access still remain bound to the user credentials. I had to change 2 parameters in the smb.conf file for fixing this.
Could you reproduce this problem If so, I will provide my smb.conf that correctly handles theguest access

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

No-IP gives me no issues in updating every 60 minutes... So no specific .59 firmware issue.

I also use NO-IP as my own DDNS, and it's working normally. One thing I just realize tho is they haven't sent me their usual monthly "Please confirm your account" requests in quite a while.

What version before this was it as stable as the .58 version?

Do you do a full reset to factory defaults and minimal and manual configuration afterward flashing each firmware in your testing? Including new ssid's (passwords can be the same).

All versions prior to 57 were stable. Full resets at every flash.

Ran some DSL Reports speed tests with different QOS settings.
(Typo.. speed on first line was actually 'D', not 's.')

Attachments

• Speed-Qos-Tests.PNG
    Speed-Qos-Tests.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Confirmed, cannot write in jffs.
But now I wonder, if you select to not use jffs from the settings, where are VPN, icons, and so on written?

Anyway, last time I spent a long time restarting and formatting jffs with no luck, while rolling back release everything was back up and running, this time I am going to pass :)

Just another confirmation that JFFS is not mounted in the .59 release. I rolled back to .58 and it mounted correctly without any actions on my part.

Did something change between .58 and .59 regarding JFFS? I'm using a USB thumb drive for the network map data and that was mounted and seemed to be working fine on .59.

Also, on .59, I wasn't able to change any of the settings. If I tried to save anything, I got bounced to the login page. It could have been due to HTTPS and the issues Merlin said he was battling with SSL in the latest version. But at this point, I'll stick with .58 as I'm on an N66U, so don't need the MU-MIMO features and I don't use the Samba features (I have a NAS for that). So there wasn't anything in .59 that was pressing other than just keeping on the latest and greatest.

Merlin, let me know if there is anything I can test to help narrow down the issue. As long as it doesn't require me having to reconfigure all the settings by hand, I'll do what I can. I have too many DHCP reservations and port forwards to make manual reconfiguration something I'd look forward to doing.

Just another confirmation that JFFS is not mounted in the .59 release. I rolled back to .58 and it mounted correctly without any actions on my part.

Did something change between .58 and .59 regarding JFFS? I'm using a USB thumb drive for the network map data and that was mounted and seemed to be working fine on .59.

Also, on .59, I wasn't able to change any of the settings. If I tried to save anything, I got bounced to the login page. It could have been due to HTTPS and the issues Merlin said he was battling with SSL in the latest version. But at this point, I'll stick with .58 as I'm on an N66U, so don't need the MU-MIMO features and I don't use the Samba features (I have a NAS for that). So there wasn't anything in .59 that was pressing other than just keeping on the latest and greatest.

Merlin, let me know if there is anything I can test to help narrow down the issue. As long as it doesn't require me having to reconfigure all the settings by hand, I'll do what I can. I have too many DHCP reservations and port forwards to make manual reconfiguration something I'd look forward to doing.

N66U, 380.59 and microsd for JFFS, no issues at all, same with .58. Reading and writing to JFFS is fine. I just tested https://router.asus.com:8443/index.asp on Firefox, Edge and Opera, no issues. I think it'd do Merlin a favor if we had multiple people test the same issues on the same router and firmware, otherwise it wastes his time in thinking it's a universal error instead of user specific. Make sure you're using the correct ports when accessing via HTTPS and DDNS.

Edit: Though I will add that I noticed ~7% cpu usage when using HTTPS. Also just tested accessing the router by DDNS using Asus' own option and it works also. Just got done trying to use samba on it, which I've never done so could be some setup issue on my end, but couldn't get it working. I've always used the FTP option which I've never had any issues with.

Last edited:
Well, I tried again with 380.59 and making the router master browser, even did a full factory reset and the problem is still the same. Also noted that Android phones were listed as part of the network, never seen that before, what was strange is that one of these phone only got used in the house @ 3 months ago and has never visited since. The phone listing was turning on and off at random.

Reverting to 380.58 and again the router is shown correctly in Windows.

I see a few here report master browser and samba issues. I too have the same problem. Factory reset doesn't work for me either. None of my windows machines can see my router share on the network. I set MaintainServerList to no in the reg on all the PCs thinking the priority was set lower on the router and losing the election but no that didn't work. Another thing I noticed too was the router domain name is no longer populated with the default router name. So if you try to ping your router it will fail. You have to add a domain name.

I also use NO-IP as my own DDNS, and it's working normally. One thing I just realize tho is they haven't sent me their usual monthly "Please confirm your account" requests in quite a while.
Now that you're mentioning it... Haven't seen these either. For about 8 months. Still works though.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, can you elaborate?

Yes, here we are: on "USB application" section, in SAMBA WebUI settings, if you try to set "Allow guest access" the related settings on smb.conf seems not affected. Indeed I checked and the following 2 commands have been set differently than my last backup of smb.conf file on jffs:

Code:
security = USER
guest ok = no

In order to allow the acces from guest they are supposed to be:

Code:
security = SHARE
guest ok = yes

Could you check if this starnge behaviour is reproducible from you also? In this case I did a fresh install of 380.59 by resetting all the NVRAM/jffs parameters

So, messages
"
May 11 23:48:28 syslog: Error 111 un-locking, proceeding anyway
May 11 23:48:38 syslog: Error 115 un-locking, proceeding anyway
"
in system log, is what about???

Never seen before (87U, upgraded from .58)

tried to reset router. some issues (like broken client list) has gone.
but those "un-locking" messages - still there.
Looks like it's appears when a "new" (never seen before MAC) device connect to router.
So, probably grep of "un-locking" on sources can help locate a source of those messages?
Please HELP. Problem first appears on .59

and, finally, after reset - I can confirm for .59 that the android battery drain on 5GHz network - has gone (on AC87U). Observed on Nexus 5 overnight

3G/4G not work corectly. I have failover settings with allow fail back, but when primary wan is back then router not switch to primary wan....only router reboot. On 9460 work ok.
View attachment 6356
for more info
I have pppoe wan and echo detect on.
My friend report that work ok on his 88u with dhcp wan

Had the firmware 59. alpha 2 on the asus rt-ac88u run without problems. Now runs the firmware 59. and I have with all apple mobile phones problems quickly drain the batteries.

There are more people who have the same problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!