What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here are my results. When not using the PIA VPN, all my ports are Green meaning completely Stealthy!! But when I enable the VPN, I get this.
Normal when running the VPN. When the VPN is active, you are actually testing the VPN server, not your local connection/router. Open a new topic if you need further discussion.

good news, after doing a factory default, virgin update to 384.8_2
putting in all my static lan ip, ssids and lan qos settings by hand,
installing diversion with pixelserv (no log, small block file)
my fios isp clamped without issue.
once i installed stubby - it all went to hell and i got no isp back.
so my problem is with stubby on ac3100 on fios, not merlin :oops:

shame stubby's broken to me now cause i really liked having
it's secure DNS transport protection.
now all i enjoy is DNSSEC from what merlin is doing for us.
my dnsleaktest still resolves to all cloudfire dns hosts,
but without putty my lookups are unencrypted to my isp,
and verizon is the worst when it comes to spying on us.

My 5Ghz band is going nuts after some time, switching to channel 157. Even when the GUI says channel 36.

Firmware 384.8_2

Haven't tried factory reset (always did dirty upgrades) but anyone have seen/resolved this before?

good news, after doing a factory default, virgin update to 384.8_2
putting in all my static lan ip, ssids and lan qos settings by hand,
installing diversion with pixelserv (no log, small block file)
my fios isp clamped without issue.
once i installed stubby - it all went to hell and i got no isp back.
so my problem is with stubby on ac3100 on fios, not merlin :oops:

shame stubby's broken to me now cause i really liked having
it's secure DNS transport protection.
now all i enjoy is DNSSEC from what merlin is doing for us.
my dnsleaktest still resolves to all cloudfire dns hosts,
but without putty my lookups are unencrypted to my isp,
and verizon is the worst when it comes to spying on us.
Why not just use https://github.com/thuantran/dnscrypt-asuswrt-installer ?

DNSCrypt is basically useless and is superseded by Stubby. Way more secure than DNSCrypt. :rolleyes: Stubby (DoT) combined with DNSSEC and Rebind protection, will provide a great deal more security than with a out of date technology.
Then if it is so special why is it not out for the 86?

Then if it is so special why is it not out for the 86?
Reread because a few guys have tried testing on AC86U, with some good success. One of the users on the forum created an update to GETDNS. Seems to have helped and some directory issues. It seems though that it can run. The developer of the installer has not had time to thoroughly test this modification. Feel free to try it and get back to us.;):)

Future successes and failures will be added or removed from the installer. By the way the installer author is NOT the developer of Stubby. Have fun!

I will stick with what works.

Sorry but its rather stupid to develop something for the old and not the new.

Both Stubby and GetDNS are ramping up a new release on github soon. But I would still view DoT with Stubby as an early-adopter initiative instead of expecting it to be stable and compatible across all platforms. Secured DNS of any form is still very fluid and we still have to wait and see how DoT (VHS) versus DoH (Betamax) plays out.

I just got Stubby to work with my AC86U. I admit it wasn’t easy but it has been working quite well so far and I feel that now my browsing is a lot faster and more secure. If you have followed some of the Stubby-related threads you will see that there is still lots of work that is being done in the background to develop newer and better ways to make this program work as they should with most routers.

I just got Stubby to work with my AC86U. I admit it wasn’t easy but it has been working quite well so far and I feel that now my browsing is a lot faster and more secure. If you have followed some of the Stubby-related threads you will see that there is still lots of work that is being done in the background to develop newer and better ways to make this program work as they should with most routers.
Great news for the AC86U looking like it could be another supported router! :D:D

You certainly can and that is your choice. And there is nothing stupid about any of this. As you are probably well aware it takes quite some time to develop programs that work with both the “old”and the “new.” On top of that you also have to have plenty of resources on hand, reserve time for research and development and rely on frequent feedback from others to improve what you are building.

Some of us keep coming to these forums not only to get “what works” but also learn from knowledge that is being shared, work with various developers and other folks in these forums to assist them to improve their programs.

On top of this, some of us also enjoy the thrill of spending hours troubleshooting something that may not always work as well with the “new” and eventually making it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serveral Times one of my cores om my ac88u ist at 100%. Only switch-off an switch-on solves that problem. Any ideas for that?

Serveral Times one of my cores om my ac88u ist at 100%. Only switch-off an switch-on solves that problem. Any ideas for that?

There isn't enough detail in your post for anyone to help.

go into SSH and run the top command to actually see what is using the cores.

There isn't enough detail in your post for anyone to help.

go into SSH and run the top command to actually see what is using the cores.

Top command?
I have this issue with WTfast switched on.
But both cores go radio rental...100% and vary a lot.

AC88U

just seen /jffs/ .wtfast/bin/wtfd -d
causing 49% cpu useage.
Oddly though it only happened when i re started qos....but still stayed high when turning qos off.

Last edited:

whatever... you are the most cleverest here.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!