What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm embarrassed, but also a little confused. I have an ASUS RT-AC88U (AC3100). I chose the AC3100 directory. I'm not sure what the difference is, but thank you for your reply and help. The file from the RT-AC88U is perfect!

Sincerely,
Anton
The two model types are distinctly different. AC88U has 8 ports AC3100 has 4.

Updated from 384.6 to 384.8 for my AC88U.
After updating firmware, I also did NVRAM clear (by holding WPS button for 20-30 sec when powering on to completely reset the router)

I confirm that under VPN Server setting (OpenVPN), "Apply" button does not work.
Full English language here.

The only hiccup I see is that the yellow exclamation mark telling me there's a software update remains flashing at the top of the GUI. I've installed the 384.8 on top of the 384.7_2 successfully, and rebooted again just for good measure. I do not have the 'new firmware' notification feature enabled.

Is that to the left of the WiFi Icon? I had that blinking yellow exclamation with 384.8 Beta2 on the 68U and was going to post/ask about today, then today I updated and don' t see that anymore.

Hey guy's, I would like to report a strange, but good side effect of 384.8 today. For the last few years we have been on the 40/5 package from CenturyLink, but in that entire time I have never seen any speed tests bring me above 29 Mbps. Even Netflix has never shown me a test above 28 Mbps.

Today right after upgrading to this new 384.8 coming from 380 all my tests from practically any server I try is giving me the full 40 Mbps we pay for. That's a 25% WAN improvement from our ISP.

Is this a result from the new 384, or did I miss CenturyLink working on our crappy network? Sadly I didn't do any tests before the 384 upgrade. It's probably been a few months since I last tested the speeds. Even all my tablets, smartphones and our streaming boxes are getting the same results, 100% full speeds.

Is this because of the new firmware? Thanks

Last edited:
Dirty Upgrade from 384.7_2 on my AC-88U, no issues so far.

Dirty upgrade my AC-88U from 384.6. No issue so far. Also I'm glad to say the issue about CPU usage in 384.8 Beta2 is getting better (now sometime at 100% but not all the time anymore).

PS. Thank you RMerlin

The only hiccup I see is that the yellow exclamation mark telling me there's a software update remains flashing at the top of the GUI. I've installed the 384.8 on top of the 384.7_2 successfully, and rebooted again just for good measure. I do not have the 'new firmware' notification feature enabled.

I had that also. I went to the firmware update page and clicked check for update. It said there wasn’t any. After that when I went to a new page the flashing exclamation mark went away.

It looks like the “new firmware” flag either isn’t cleared on startup or it doesn’t check right away.

I found an issue with the traffic Analyzer in 384.8 that didn’t exist in 384.7_2. When watching the WAN traffic, after a few minutes that maximum value in the graph scale jumps to 2 Tbps. This causes the graph height to flatten since my Internet speeds are no where near that.

This seems to be solely a UI thing since the measured speeds are correct, it just suddenly switches from scaling the graph based on the fastest measured speed, to a fixed value of 2 Tbps.

I'm loving this update. Never thought in a million years that a router update could improve my Wan dl speeds by 25%. Even my upload speed is now 25% or so better. I can't seem to stop thinking about this. How can a firmware upgrade do that?

I'm loving this update. Never thought in a million years that a router update could improve my Wan dl speeds by 25%. Even my upload speed is now 25% or so better. I can't seem to stop thinking about this. How can a firmware upgrade do that?
It seems that your ISP has improved the connection line on their end.

It seems that your ISP has improved the connection line on their end.
Yeah that is probably it, but it's weird to have crappy internet for 20 years, and then suddenly exactly what we pay for right after a firmware update. A very precise coincidence for sure. Lol my friend is telling me that there is no way that can be a coincidence and he is sure that it's the new firmware talking properly to the modem and isp, or something along those lines. Lol but yeah maybe the isp finally fixed something way out here in the country.

.. he is sure that it's the new firmware talking properly to the modem and isp, or something along those lines..
Revert back and see if it slows down...

Updated AC66U_B1 from 384.7_2 to 384.8. Getting new firmware update notification. Tried enabling then disabling "New firmware version check". It won't go away.

View attachment 15332
Same with my RT-AC86U. Uploaded firmware 3 times with restart in between.

Have you double checked that you’re installing the correct firmware?
Jepp. Absolutly. 100% sure. Both double and tripplecheckt.

Jepp. Absolutly. 100% sure. Both double and tripplecheckt.
I asked because I’ve inadvertently installed the wrong firmware in the past and had the exclamation mark appear. It took me ages to realise it was my mistake and not a problem with the router or the firmware.
Have you done a factory reset and cold boot?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!