What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a guest network enabled which is synced to all aimesh nodes? I ask because I have found large packet loss when guest networks are synced.

I did, yes.

I just temporarily turned off the AIMesh node, and will do a little reconfiguring today to use it as a wired AP. Having experienced a huge boost to how well everything plays together, I don't want to go back to 384.

TL;DR: 386_beta > 384 (in my environment) even if it still isn't perfect.

Is anyone else seeing false traffic spikes in Traffic Analyzer?

Traffic.png

Also the traffic shown in the "Statistic" tab is far lower than it should be.

This has started since upgrading to the BETA version. I didn't have a problem with Alpha. I have tried a full factory reset, without restoring settings/JFFS, but it still happens

Hi,

I can't seem to upgrade a AC86U running as a wireless Aimesh node to the main AX88U router.

Both were running 384.19 and the AX88U was successfully dirty flashed to 386.1beta1 with a manual firmware update from the admin page. However, numerous attempts to do the same for the AC86U all ended up with

Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

This is the first time I have encountered such a failure while upgrading firmware with this method. I have made sure there is nothing wrong with the downloaded firmware for the AC86U.

How can I get around this and do a successful upgrade?

main router goes on reboot loop

It crashes in the watchdog service which is very unusual. I recommend you also erase your JFFS partition content before attempting the upgrade.

I'm trying to backup files with Easus Todo Backup from my desktop to my USB hard drive attached to my AX86U, using SMB v2.
I mounted the HDD as a network drive in Windows 10.

After several attempts and several reboots of both my desktop and my rooter, I can't complete the backup process.
After some time, I get a message saying the drive can't be access or it doesn't have the write permissions to write on the HDD.

I also noticed that sometimes, when trying to access my files over SMB, I get a message from windows saying it can't be accessed.
If I try a few minutes later, it works without issue.

Is it a known issue? Could it be related to the beta?

Thanks

Probably I'm doing something wrong, but after upgrading from alpha version to beta 1, factory reset and manual reconfiguration I can't get Let's Encrypt working: stuck on "authorizing"

Anyone? I can't find any ACME reference in my log.

That's normal for that type of CPU.

Those are just info logging from the Trend Micro engine, which was temporarily loaded when you accessed the bandwidth monitoring page.
Thanks. So what model Asus would be a better model to get closer to the speeds I am getting from my providers device?

AX58U and AX3000 Don't have the speed test.
Asus hasn't enabled it for all models at this time.

Thanks for the info, I woke up today planning to factory reset the router to troubleshoot this. Saved me the hassle.

Yes, but spdMerlin is a great addon and does even more.

Yep I've had spdMerlin for a while, was just curious about not finding the official speedtest anywhere.

When your recovery is done and router is up you must get /jffs working.
It's needed to store needed files to router to funktion properly.

Set "Format JFFS partition at next boot" to YES
Set "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" to YES

Reboot two times and login with WinSCP and check if you have couple of maps/files in /jffs directory.
Then you should be go to configur your router.

I know about jffs and did as you describe going from stock to alpha4 and from alpha4 to beta1. I would do it again if my router would boot, which it doesn't

Restoration from rescue mode takes a long time to complete you will need a little patience and let it go, it'll take hours.

Thanks, but 18 hours after last rescue/firmware restore it was still bootloping - the power led comes on, a couple of seconds later the ethernet led comes on then off. Finally the power led goes off and the sequence starts over. The router is totally unresponsive unless I boot it to rescue mode and firmware restore, which looks like it's successful but ends in another bootloop.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks, but 18 hours after last rescue/firmware restore it was still bootloping - the power led comes on, a couple of seconds later the ethernet led comes on then off. Finally the power led goes off and the sequence starts over. The router is totally unresponsive unless I boot it to rescue mode and firmware restore, which looks like it's successful but ends in another bootloop.

Is there anything else I could try?
Have you done a Hard Factory Reset on your AX86U?

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

If the router is truly "bricked" it should enter recovery mode.

To launch the rescue mode and use the Firmware Restoration utility:
1. Unplug the wireless router from the power source.
2. Hold the Reset button at the rear panel and simultaneously replug the wireless router into the power source. Release the Reset button when the Power LED at the front panel flashes slowly, which indicates that the wireless router is in the rescue mode.
3. Set a static IP on your computer and use the following to set up your TCP/IP settings:IP address: 192.168.1.x
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
4. From your computer’s desktop, click Start > All Programs > ASUS Utility > Wireless Router > Firmware Restoration.
5. Specify a firmware file, then click Upload

I recommend recovering with stock Asus firmware. With your router the recovery process should take three to four minutes.

Listed both in the first post and in the Changelog. Whichever was the latest at the time.

I cannot find any followup on that concern. So, let me just make sure that this information is not missed.

According to the changelong and the first post, the current version of OpenSSL is vulnerable and should be upgraded to 1.1.1i, per OpenSSL Security Advisory of December 8, 2020:

Update
I decided to try rescue and restore the last working firmware (alpha4) again (probably for the 3rd or 4th time) and strangely this time it seemed to work. Can't really understand why since I did nothing differently than previous attempts. Then proceeded to format jffs, upgrade to beta1, format jffs again and another factory reset and so far so good.

Many thanks to all who took time to respond :)

I cannot find any followup on that concern. So, let me just make sure that this information is not missed.

According to the changelong and the first post, the current version of OpenSSL is vulnerable and should be upgraded to 1.1.1i, per OpenSSL Security Advisory of December 8, 2020:
It was added yesterday and should be available in beta2 eventually.

Had an issue with the new Beta on an AX88U, and a brother mfc -2750dw printer refusing to print. I also noticed that airprint could not find the printer.

The router said it was connected, but the status on numerous windows clients said unavailable. Rebooting router, printer, and different clients did not fix the problem.

ventually installed the latest stock asus beta firmware, and the issue was resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!