What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
diversion does it, as I recall (I might be wrong, or I might be close), because entware needs ext4. and that's what allows a swap file/folder for routers with low RAM.
It gets inserted into the router and you leave it there...the system drive the router might one day come with ;-)
Swap file does not need to be on an EXT2, 3 or 4. I have done a swap file on FAT32 USB and it works quite well. I usually use a swap partition and EXT4 partition on a thumb drive created with Gparted. Diversion works quite well with this format.

Good Day, I`m currently on the 386.1 beta 2 firmware, and from the star I used the 386.1 firmware when logging into the device, the home page do not load properly and become non responsive. have to close the page and login again, sometimes, only after the 3rd or 4th attempt it logs in and are usable. I did restore to factory settings, as I used the Alpha firmware before, but doing the same thing. I did however restore my settings from a save file, not sure if that could be related or the reason?
Thats the problem, when you import a backup file, you also import the (corrupt) settings .
After a full factory reset (WPS button) you need to setup everything again manual

as fq-codel is not available in Adaptive QOS, so the only way to use fq codel is by Traditional QOS.
is that assumption correct?
if yes, how's the performance comparison between Adaptive QOS vs Traditional QOS in this beta?

They are totally different setups. Really not even a comparison. Traditional is not a good setup for the average user. And I may be told wrong by the more experienced, but traditional qos is outdated at this point. Old school shirt when there wasnt anything else available.

Thanks rlj2.
i used Adaptive QOS and speedtest result shows lots of jitter varying from 100ms to 500ms.
Running AC5300 with 386.1 beta 2,

As explained by @thelonelycoder many times in these forums, a swap file should be a file, not a separate partition, and on the same partition, Entware is on.

Can it work otherwise, sure it can! If a user knows what they're doing. But then, instead of amtm (and @thelonelycoder) handling the back end for us, we would have to intercede when things go south. So much easier and working smoother when we just use amtm + Entware + scripts and a swap file on a single partition as recommended.

@john9527 is on the right track with why I recommend formatting to NTFS on a PC before inserting a new or used USB drive for amtm use. With ExFat not being supported by the routers currently being one reason. The other is that after a full reset to a new or previously setup router, amtm (which is preinstalled with the RMerlin firmware since 384.15_0) doesn't pick up any previous configuration files from the USB drive. When I do a full reset, 'Initialize all settings...' and format the JFFS partition, I don't want to take a chance to put in the previously used amtm USB drive and have to do that all over again. :)

@felix0315, no. Look at the update log to see its origins. :)

I'm having a rather interesting phenomena on the 386.1_beta2 for my RT-AX88U.
It is listing wired clients long after they've been disconnected from the router physically with the cable and device completely removed.
Also, any time I visit the Network Map -> Client List, it will refresh all wired connections, but not wireless, but still list the disconnected wired devices.

Has anyone else observed this?
1608510527771.png

1608510578063.png

@RMerlin im on 386.1_ beta 2 Ac68u and parental control time scheduling is not working at all can you look into it? Tested on my devices non of them blocked. Yes I disabled NAT acceleration.

@RMerlin im on 386.1_ beta 2 Ac68u and parental control time scheduling is not working at all can you look into it? Tested on my devices non of them blocked. Yes I disabled NAT acceleration.
The Time restrictions were fixed in the official release..
However they do not work with the guest network. This code is in the Wifi Sections of the code and is closed source. Rmerlin has no control or access to that.. I suspect that the Merlin Code is one step behind the official code, but Im guessing here.

@ShelaMonster and @davelian, was the router tested after a full reset, including 'Initialize all settings...' box checked, and the JFFS partition was formatted? With no backup config file used to set up the router either. All that done after flashing the 386.1 Beta 2 firmware. And no USB drive inserted into the router that was previously used as the amtm + Entware + swap file drive? (Unless that USB drive was formatted first on a computer in the NTFS format)?

It will be interesting if Merlin releases Beta 3 very soon, since it might represent a rare time when Merlin's code is newer than ASUS's published firmware. I don't think any released ASUS FW is at or above 41350 yet (could be wrong).
If Merlin release this GPL(41350) then it's really rare cause he hasn't done that, however, beta 3 is not a final release so he might just do it.

RT-AC68U not responsive after FW update from Merlin RT-AC68U_384.19_0 to RT-AC68U_386.1_beta2.

My router isn't responding (router doesn't work and I can't reach 192.168.1.1 default admin page). I was able to flash it back to 384.19 with the ASUS rescue utility (power-up while holding reset).
Same thing again. Then I tried flashing with official Asus 386_40558 and again no succes with older 384_81351. Every time the flashing process seems to be successful, but the router is still not responding.

Any idea how i can revive it ?

Last edited:
@ShelaMonster and @davelian, was the router tested after a full reset, including 'Initialize all settings...' box checked, and the JFFS partition was formatted? With no backup config file used to set up the router either. All that done after flashing the 386.1 Beta 2 firmware. And no USB drive inserted into the router that was previously used as the amtm + Entware + swap file drive? (Unless that USB drive was formatted first on a computer in the NTFS format)?
I did a total nuke of the router including initialize resets, JFFS wiped reboots, and even factory “hard reset” via WPS & power.
I did each of these multiple times, 2 factory wipes, 2 initialized resets, then 2 JFFS reboots, and a fresh setup thereafter.

The issue still persists, and there’s no USB or any other add-ons in use, only a few WiFi changes/adjustments and the built-in DoT service in use.

To clarify, this isn’t causing a service issue or really any problems (yet) aside some housekeeping, but I can’t imagine this is an intentional design.

Funny enough I reset the router so much/hard, at one point it stopped doing the Quick Internet Setup and rolled right into a login screen with the default (factory?) credentials applied.

@dmtg my computer, keyboard, router, or ISP is broken!

I keep hitting refresh on the site in the link below, but it still shows Beta 2. :D:p:cool::p:D
Please do a full reset and m&m config, then the usual asus dance for the gods. That should work and your connection will be restored. See the link. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!