What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question .. I have good temps on my AX88U, but I was hoping to check my two AiMesh nodes. One is in a cabinet, and another is in the open. Is there a way to queue these temperatures via ssh connection or is it somewhere in the router.asus.com pages that I just don't see? I only see the temps for the main router. Thanks!

I really just want to see how the temps are in one of my nodes thats in a cabinet in the corner of my kitchen to ensure it's not getting too hot. If it is, I'll use some sort of cooler on it.

Quick question .. I have good temps on my AX88U, but I was hoping to check my two AiMesh nodes. One is in a cabinet, and another is in the open. Is there a way to queue these temperatures via ssh connection or is it somewhere in the router.asus.com pages that I just don't see? I only see the temps for the main router. Thanks!

I really just want to see how the temps are in one of my nodes thats in a cabinet in the corner of my kitchen to ensure it's not getting too hot. If it is, I'll use some sort of cooler on it.
Roboots21,

See this post, hopefully it is useful:

If your on the original Beta4 for AX88U, you might have issues yes; some people have had luck after a number of attempts to flash ontop of that version, but it always worked first shot with the rescue tool.
I would try and make my way to 4B if your on the original beta 4, just because throughput issue's are improved if you use AiProtection or QoS, and you'll be able to upgrade or downgrade freely again after flashing 4B.
Thanks, but 4b is not available for downloads is it, isn't?

Found another problem today. Streaming MKV files from a Synology NAS 920+ is fine but streaming MP4 or AVI files pause or freeze for long periods of time

The client [ OSX and VLC ] is less than 1metre away from AX86u [ Running Beta 3 ] and only does this on 5Ghz and not 2.4Ghz

The stream is 600Kb/s and barely anything in bandwidth

Someone said on the other thread which is now locked to check in the Wifi Pro for WMM below is my settings

Screenshot 2021-01-11 at 13.57.54.png

@RMerlin 386.1 Beta 4 Report:

I have updated a few routers (RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC3100, RT-AX86U's) to the latest RMerlin 386.1 Beta 4 (dirty upgrades, all, from previous RMerlin firmware).

The only notable things to post here are:
  • A handful of RT-AC86U's won't upgrade to Beta 4 (even with a couple on Beta 3 already).
  • A few RT-AC68U's needed to be (additionally, see below...) rebooted before accepting the firmware. Even a handful used as AiMesh v2.0 nodes with Beta 3 installed.
  • Two RT-AC66U_B1 I've tried won't upgrade to this firmware, a popup showed instead (see below), I am waiting for a customer to verify if this worked on their RT-AC66U_B1.
  • The popup stated something like,
    • " To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware."
  • In the end, I have not upgraded any RT-AC66U_B1's to Beta 4 at this time.
@L&LD I had you pegged as a Belt & Braces type who would only deploy known stable versions across the board and to customer devices. I didn't imagine that you'd be so brave to roll out beta code to so many routers. Perhaps you have a huge test facility, but otherwise you've gone up in my estimations :D

Fast and Loose Baby :cool:

Did you update to 4B through the GUI?

Personally, I have no desire to go backwards. I don’t seem to be affected by Beta4.

Will try to update to 4B through the GUI, when I get the chance
Logged in with Firefox and updated normally.

Posting this to find out if anyone else is having the same issue with 386.1 releases that I am.

This has been / still is happening with all Merlin 386.1 alpha's & beta's. I have one client, a W10 PC with an Intel AC7260 wireless adapter, that constantly looses it's 5Ghz wireless connection. It takes a while for the drop to happen after initial PC boot up but after that drops gets closer and closer together. No other clients on RT-AC86U or AIMesh node RC-AC68U drop.

This client is very close to the 86U, 6ft. Once dropped I have to reset the client in the PC via running network diagnostics or manually disable / enable wireless client. I have forgotten wireless network connection several times within PC. I have tried disabling both beamforming's in router, it does not make a difference. This client has always been rock solid prior to this release. I believe there was a new driver version for the 86U that came out with the 386.1 release. I've been hoping that newer releases will fix.

I did do a factory reset after flashing to 386.1 alpha as instructed. The drops have gotten so bad I am now using an Ethernet connection. I read the forum often enough to know no that is not an issue that is being encountered by many.

Any help / suggestions will be appreciated.

Anyone else seeing this when they try to enable their Asus DDNS service? AX88U 386.1 B4b
ASUS-Wireless-Router-RT-AX88U-DDNS.jpg

And if I try changing the name I get this:
ASUS-Wireless-Router-RT-AX88U-DDNS2.jpg

Last edited:
If your on the original Beta4 for AX88U, you might have issues yes; some people have had luck after a number of attempts to flash ontop of that version, but it always worked first shot with the rescue tool.
I would try and make my way to 4B if your on the original beta 4, just because throughput issue's are improved if you use AiProtection or QoS, and you'll be able to upgrade or downgrade freely again after flashing 4B.
I did downgrade the AX88U with no issues from original beta4 to beta3 yesterday.
Tempted to test the 4b now.

Did try the beta 4 on AX88U before it was pulled. Only issue was that the router froze the third time when trying a speedtest from the router interface. The first two times it gave me max speed (500/20).

I had same happen to me (b4/ax88) too, a couple of times when doing the speedtest, the wifi rebooted. this was on a 1gb connection and router was pulling 780mbs at the time.
other than that b4 has been glorious (no TrendMicro stuff)

Since its closed source, any chance Asus did this on purpose or it's kind of mistake?

They told me it was to address a bug, but that they would consider reverting it in the future if it creates more issues.

Since I've moved to beta 1. (And did a factory default)

The schedule are not working anymore. My kids used to be cut out at the exact time I put in. But now internet is available 24/7 what ever I put in.

Anybody else is having issues? I've tried beta 2, 3 and now 4 !

Thank you

They told me it was to address a bug, but that they would consider reverting it in the future if it creates more issues.
thanks merlin!!!
But seriously, the temperature issue is just annoying, although stock firmware will not disclose the temperature in default.
The problem is, should we trust them to let our router cpu burning like hell at 89,90 degrees?

That sounds promising, so I could not resist. Installed 4b :)

Be sure to report any issues you find! (If any)
TBH; I tested it the whole night after I flashed it, and couldn't upset this firmware myself with my configuration, seems pretty stable so far!

Have been running 386.1 B4 since it came out on my AX88U with no scripts, QoS, Guest Network, or AIprotection. This morning the router rebooted as I had set it to do with reboot scheduler. I had a look at the logs and found the following 2 errors during reboot. I don't know if they are relevant to anything discussed here.

@RMerlin FYI

May 5 01:05:03 lldpd[971]: cannot get ethtool link information with GLINKSETTINGS (requires 4.9+): Operation not permitted

Jan 11 09:56:13 kernel: *** ERROR: [tdts_shell_ioctl_sig_op_load:95] tdts_core_rule_parsing_trf_load() fail!

Be sure to report any issues you find! (If any)
TBH; I tested it the whole night after I flashed it, and couldn't upset this firmware myself with my configuration, seems pretty stable so far!
Planning to do some testing later this evening.
And especially for the freeze I had on beta4 when speedtesting.
Using this version: RT-AX88U_386.1_beta4b-gb9175c6a96_cferom_ubi.w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!