What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at the opposite end of the temperature scale (see what I did there)? :)

I'm trying to see how long one of my customers RT-AC68U can endure 96C and still be useful to the house full of teenagers and their constant load on the wireless network. Or my other customer who has an RT-AC3100 in a heated closet (technically his 'office' too) with similar temperatures in the low 90's C.

I haven't seen a router 'die' from the heat yet. But I have seen 'cool' ones stop working though.

If the resources you found on your own work to get your router/network back to a good/known state, great! :)

If you need further help, the following links may help you too.

New M&M 2020

M&M 2020 Specifics

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

And if you really need to reset everything, then try the following too (and repeat the first two links above).

Fully Reset Router and Network
Thanks much, my friend!
I was lucky, and only had to invest a couple of hours getting everything reentered. My 5300 is now as happy as a clam, and so am I!!! My temps (with a fan under the router) did not change even 1 degree before/after.
Merlin, you are the man...

What do you have configured for your WAN DNS?
I think I solve the issue, the WAN port of my RT-AX88U is connected to another main router which handles the Fiber WAN connection and also VoIP, I checked the WAN DHCP setting of this main router and DNS was set to use his local gateway (192.168.2.254) as DNS, I changed to ISP DNS and the trouble is gone, now the RT-AX88U seems to manage the clients with DNS Privacy set to "None" and let them reach internet, I guess B5 needs direct ISP DNS to work properly without DNS Privacy. Thanks anyway!

The only difference I can pinpoint is that I used the WPS button reset on all routers this time instead of relying on the GUI factory reset...

Thanks as always to @RMerlin and many others for your hard work.
Well done to you for persevering and getting it right - there simply is no substitute for the WiFi WPS button reset routine ... it properly "nukes" whatever may have been there before. Important to wait a bit after the router first fires up - so it has a chance to settle before being bombarded with settings and extras :D.

Edit: Corrected WiFi to WPS - thnx to @AntonK

Last edited:
Went from 384.19 to beta 5. Ac86u. Restarted the 86u by powering it off. WiFi works and wired internet works. But I cannot access the router webpage and the ASUS router app shows no wireless devices connected. Connected to an att gateway. From the first post it seems like I should factory reset the Ac86u? Or restart the att gateway and 86u?

Well done to you for persevering and getting it right - there simply is no substitute for the WiFi button reset routine ... it properly "nukes" whatever may have been there before. Important to wait a bit after the router first fires up - so it has a chance to settle before being bombarded with settings and extras :D.
The WiFi button, and the WPS button are two different things, at least on my router.

Just to double-check, if I'm coming from 384_19_0 on my RT-AX88U, I flash 386.1 Beta 5 ... then do a Factory Reset?

Went from 384.19 to beta 5. Ac86u. Restarted the 86u by powering it off. WiFi works and wired internet works. But I cannot access the router webpage and the ASUS router app shows no wireless devices connected. Connected to an att gateway. From the first post it seems like I should factory reset the Ac86u? Or restart the att gateway and 86u?
Did not have to do a reset with mine going from 384.19 to 386.1 beta 5. If you can connect via ssh terminal do a reboot or restart httpd.

I'm happy to report that Beta 5 has been the first 386 firmware that I've been able to add my RT-AX58U wirelessly as a AiMesh node. Previously it has always failed and required using the cable to do the initial addition. Other routers like the RT-AC68U didn't have this issue but on the RT-AX58U, it always failed till now,

Also updated to 386.1 Beta 5 from 384.19 on my RT-AX88U and everything is working fine. However I noticed that the max nr of DHCP entries has been reduced from 128 to 64. Is this a bug?

... Have you read the changelog?

Is this a bug?

No it's not.

So I have to reduce the DHCP table to max 64 entries. Any change that the final release will allow 128 entries again? Maybe a stupid question, but I didn't notice this decrease in nr of entries in the change log (or maybe I missed it).

Check the forums for the yazDHCP script by @Jack Yaz.

apart from the temperature which merlin had nothing to do with it (80c is okay, but not excellent)
seems beta 5 is stable enough for most of the people, looking forward to the final :)

Still seeing around 50% reduction in openvpn client download speed compared to 384.19 on my AC86U, CPU usage seems higher when downloading through vpn as well. Anyone else notice this?
+1
There seems to be a little more CPU activity going on in general, even when "at rest"
When conneting through VPN it is more obvious.

Well, just 34 hours after installing beta5 in my place (AX88 router + AX56 aimesh node) and I can give some preliminary additional feedback about it:

- I have no longer seen phantom (disconnected) devices in network map, so in this respect this beta seems like having improved since bet4b.
EDIT : After almost 60 hours working, I have again some ghost devices, so this one has not been fixed.

- I still see vey high peaks of false traffic being reported whenever wan goes down.
- When WAN is up, the traffic being reported by traffic analyzer seems too high. It looks as if double of the real traffic is being reported.. If i download 5GB of data I see a reported traffic of about 10+GB at that timeframe. This happened also in previous betas.

Other than that, the build seems very solid. Thanks for it to Merlin and all of the team !

Last edited:
In my setup I have 2 x AX58U - one main router and one as a node.

I did the full reset/upgrade to 386.1b5 from merlin 384.19 with full (WPS) reset and manual minimum config on the node and have the other AX58U (384.19 main router) turned off for now.

All looking very solid after 6+hrs. Thanks @RMerlin for all the great work with this project and this release!

Next step is to get the swap and scripts working (cake and nextdns) on the AX58U running 386.1b5. I was hoping I could just move the usb drive from the other AX58U with 384.19 that is now turned off - basically switch the swap/entware etc setup over.

Is this possible or should I just get another usb drive and setup as new?

thanks!

... Have you read the changelog?

No it's not.
After getting up this morning, all appears to be working. CPU activity looks strange. It will peak and drop, peak and drop. I’ll look at it again when I’m home and can log in to the router page.I have not updated my ac68u in aimesh node. I’ll do that and read the change log later today as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!