What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation and this happened with B3 and B4. Two RT-AX58Us.. Ethernet Backhaul selected for 1Gb first. Ethernet backhaul only mode not selected. Main router on b3. Flashed from B3 to B4 on the node. Waited and the process completed. Waited 10 mins and rebooted node via gui.
Lost the node.. The ethernet lan1 light on the main router was flashing fine. Wan Port on the node was red but all the other leds were normal.
Physical power off of the node, wait 10 mins same issue. Wan LED never went white and node never showed backup. WPS reset. Powered up, then went to add node onmain router GUI, .. Found node, node configured, restarted and everything was fine. .. Its like the node lost its configuration totally.

Flashed B4 to the main router the following morning (today) and so far, everything seems ok.

Hi -- first post, though lurk regularly to see what folks are doing. Wanted to give @RMerlin a picture of my RT-AC86U.

Beta history: upgraded from 384.19, always dirty, every beta. I have a great deal of dev (kernel / rom) flash experience in embedded devices; rarely do I find anything in nvram data that would require a reset -- I have scripts to notify me of changes from version to version upgrades so I can surgically fix if needed. None needed for any of the betas.

Beta results: Generally flawless. One smart tv, a local 4G cell expander and one google mini home needed reboots in Beta 2, no biggee, just noticed device failures logging in. Those devices were on a guest network (1). I do see some folks getting upgrade messages in Beta 4 on this router, I received no such warning -- just worked. I can't speak to the issue otherwise.

Environment: I run multiple VLANs for various isolation reasons and have extensive startup scripts to setup the VLANs (robocfg, dnsmasq adds, host adds, etc.) firewall/nat, ebtables, tinc mesh vpn (managed via entware startup) between my router and multiple other sites (family gaming), etc. Point is, my router is heavily configured at many levels, which speaks to the stability of the betas.

Temps (syslog output from regular cron job): Very consistently (literally every 10 minute check) around CPU: 79 | 5G: 70 | 2.4G: 63 (wireless the same for guest network wl.x values). /proc/dmu/temperature used for CPU temp, wl -I [ethX | wlX.Y] phy_tempsense used for radio temps.

I guess the point is, all is pretty much normal and I've seen zero issues so far other than the odd need to reboot a few clients in Beta 2 (not worried about that at all).

Hope it helps.

Hi tdhite,
in my opinion a temperature of 79 degrees instead of 64 isn't so normal, with some people reporting also 90 degrees or more, even with some CPU forced stops. But, as I stated before, that's my personal opinion and nothing more.

What about the Traffic Analyzer and QoS bandwidth monitor? Do they work as expected on your RT-AC86U with latest beta? On mine Traffic Monitor goes out of scale after a few seconds and Statistics are completely unusable, reporting KB instead of GB. Same problem also on QoS bandwith monitor.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Bye.

Disconnected wifi clients still show as connected ethernet clients. No change here.

Having the exact same issue on my AX88U. Speed is greatly decreased on devices connected to wifi or with cable.

Beta3:
View attachment 29260

Beta4:
View attachment 29261

Interesting. When I test at the router level, speed is as expected. When I look at the router's stated connections to all the devices, the speed is also as I expected. However, when I use ookla, I too am seeing reduced speeds at the client level. Very odd.

Interesting. When I test at the router level, speed is as expected. When I look at the router's stated connections to all the devices, the speed is also as I expected. However, when I use ookla, I too am seeing reduced speeds at the client level. Very odd.
I thought it was just me, but I am seeing the same thing on my AX88U model. Looks like others have reported as well.

I also confirmed it is not just an ookla issue. I used Xfinity's web based speed test which tests speed to the client and it is greatly reduced. Maybe 1/10th of what it should be.

I've never had higher temperatures than these, no matter which version I've been with. The room is around 27 degrees and I do not have active (additional) cooling of the router.
RT-AC66U B1 - 386.1 B4
IMG_20210109_170404.jpg

Just for my info.
Is the filename called "services-start" and placed in folder "jffs/scripts"
or is called "cpuwait" and placed in folder "jffs/scripts" (if so, how is it called upon in latter case)?
Looks like you should have your answer from the replies I've seen. Let me know if it's working. If not, happy to help.

I've never had higher temperatures than these, no matter which version I've been with. The room is around 27 degrees and I do not have active (additional) cooling of the router.
RT-AC66U B1 - 386.1 B4
View attachment 29265
The temp observation is limited to the RT-AC86U model.

Ax88U here. Running the lastest.

84C175EC-E5C4-4D8A-864E-CBE23DE3F924.jpeg

Beta 4 installed and reset/initialised all settings.

The in built ookla speed tests are all over the place whereas when I run tests direct on the website the speeds are then as expected.

My connection is BT 1gb down 110 up. On the router speed test sometimes is as low as 200/110 then it can be 400/110 the next minute.
On the website testing is always 920/110 same as when i use https://www.nperf.com/en/ its always 920/110.

Temps are 61 max on the cpu and ive changed nothing.
IPV 6 enabled and applied working like a charm and passes the http://test-ipv6.com/ 10/10.

Ive not observed any issues so far but im not using a VPN or QoS.

Also but not specific to this build, thanks for what ever you do with the UPNP as it means me and my 2 sons are able to get open nat when we all play together in the same house in Warzone. Whereas on the Asus firmware 1 will get open nat while the other 2 will be moderate nat and then we struggle to join each others game.

I tested Beta 4 on my RT-AX-86U. The following troubles persists:
- SSL certificate problem
command:
openssl req -new -x509 -keyout lighttpd.pem -out lighttpd.pem -days 1059 -nodes
generated message:
Error Loading extension section v3_ca

- USB HID problem
lsmod:
usbhid 28470 0
hid 103941 1 usbhid
usbcore 166604 22 sbhid,uas,usb_storage,cdc_mbim,qmi_wwan,cdc_wdm,cdc_ncm,rndis_host,cdc_ether,ax88179_178a,asix,cdc_acm,usbnet,
ohci_pci,ohci_platform,ohci_hcd,ehci_pci,ehci_platform,ehci_hcd,xhci_pci,xhci_plat_hcd,xhci_hcd
usb_common 2813 1 usbcore

dmesg:
usb 4-1: new low-speed USB device number 2 using ohci-platform
lsusb:
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 051d:0002

The apcupsd do not see my ups.
/proc/bus/usb does not exist

Best regards

Updated to Beta 4 this morning AX58U. Working so far as expected. Thanks @Merlin !!! :)

EDIT: CPU speeds unaffected still show 49c

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested Adaptive QoS on AX86U using the new Beta 4.

The downstream QoS is limiting bandwidth fine on all interfaces : Ethernet, 2.4GHz and 5Ghz.
The upstream QoS is not limiting bandwidth on 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. It works only on the Ethernet ports.

----
The details:
- Internet connection 135/23 as tested without QoS.
- QoS settings : Adaptive QoS, Manual speed, Max download: 100, Max upload: 20.
- SpeedTest on Ethernet : 98.58 down, 19.75 up
- SpeedTest on 5Ghz : 98.47 down, 22.82 up
- SpeedTest on 2.4Ghz : 98.44 down, 22.82 up

It is still required. The fix listed in the patch notes doesn't do anything.
Golly, you're right. I removed the work around from my services-start, rebooted, and pwr show gives me CPU wait now disabled.

I'm also seeing the reduced speeds from wirelessly connected devices. I'm on a Comcast 200/10Mbit connection and with Cake-QoS. On beta3 I got 185down /11.5up or basically the same as on the router. And on beta 4 I get 43down / 9up on the clients and 187down /11.5up on the router. The client connection is exactly the same under both builds:

1610208596111.png

Also router side, no changes from beta 3 to 4.

Looks like you should have your answer from the replies I've seen. Let me know if it's working. If not, happy to help.
I have and it was as expected :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!