What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX-86U 386.1 Beta 4 - dirty update over test build Beta (before that Beta 3 and Beta 2).
After ten minutes:
Internet speeds working as expected (WiFi, LAN, VPN client).
VPN clients connected.
USB drive working as expected: amtm scripts all good (Diversion, Skynet, FlexQoS, conmon, disk check).
DDNS is active (asuscomm.com)

Last edited:
How do you get the pwr config --wait on script to work on an aimesh node?

/jffs/scripts is empty and I added a services-start file with the code and changed permissions but it doesnt work on reboots.

I have not updated my AX88U from 384.19 to the beta yet. Was considering updating to 386.1 beta 4 but wanted to confirm with others using the same router.

Any issues? I have hardware rev A1.1 (made in Vietnam), so not sure if that makes any difference to the heat issues folks with other routers have been reporting.

I don’t run VPN and my config is pretty vanilla. Any reasons not to take the plunge?

I'm also seeing the reduced speeds from wirelessly connected devices. I'm on a Comcast 200/10Mbit connection and with Cake-QoS. On beta3 I got 185down /11.5up or basically the same as on the router. And on beta 4 I get 43down / 9up on the clients and 187down /11.5up on the router. The client connection is exactly the same under both builds:

View attachment 29267

Also router side, no changes from beta 3 to 4.

Hi, I confirm the reduced speeds problem with b4 and my rt-ax88u. Moreover, I am unable to reflash back beta3. I have tried unmounting USB drives, resetting the router to factory defalults, ... and any attempt to reflash the router from within b4 fails, (I suppose with the asus firmware restoration tool it will probably work)

So, as an alternative bypass while this is sorted out, I have disabled Aiprotection, apps analysis, web history and withrdawn from the AiProtection security clause. This way wifi connections are restored to original (fast) speeds with beta4.

UPDATE : Finally went back to b3 using the asus firmware restoration tool, so that I can keep AIProtection active and have good wifi client speeds.

Last edited:
Which temps are expected for other models?
AX88U
Current Temperatures: 47 °C - 47 °C - 65 °C
That's in line with my AX88U: 2.4 GHz: 47°C / 5 GHz: 46°C / CPU: 63°C

Upgraded from latest, yet pulled 386 Stock FW to Beta 4 on my AX88U, no AiMesh, no reboot yet. all running fine, list of clients showing correctly, no ghost clients, 2,4 and 5 ghz show performance as expected, CPU wait on 1.1 HW on, Temperatures currently show CPU @ 69°C.
Speedtest from clients show results as expected. Will reboot later today again but yet everything looks great. Thanks a lot Merlin for another great Beta!!

My internet speed on an AX88U are impacted both at the mobile devices connected to WiFi, and at the router itself after a dirty flash from beta3 to beta4.

Spdmerlin is reporting wrong, but I figured the script just needed updating, uninstalled it to test again; did a speed test using the routers Ookla speedtest function and it's still much slower there as well. (About half my ISP reported speeds usually).
Disabled QoS and my speeds returned back to normal at the router! But not at my mobile devices connected to the 5GHz WiFi.

Tried to downgrade the router back to beta3 from beta 4, and got the same error as someone else in this thread that the firmware version is not correct...
(Error was: Invalid firmware upload) Could not downgrade without using rescue mode.

1610210274793.png

Will stick on beta3 until some of these issues are resolved;
1. Previously was able to downgrade without needing rescue mode,
2. My QoS did not impact speedtests at the router,
3. Devices connected to the WiFi would normally get the full speed found at the router. (Currently all split by half or even more!)

On the plus side, Let's Encrypt works again on beta4, and cpuspeed is enabled under the pwr view by default, so my router is keeping at a decent temp.
I exported my cert on beta4 as I never had the chance previously. lol.

Last edited:
Fixed up my post..

Edit:
- Server (ethernet connect) thruput of 900Mb/s only 60Mb/s on Beta4.
- Laptop: (wireless connect) the thruput is about 70-80% of normal on Beta4, then Beta3 in same physical location (my desk).
- SpdMerlin. Beta3 & Beta4 (loads 3/4/5) thruput the same. Beta4 1st & 2nd loads, thruput was less then a 1/10 of usual.
Summary: Beta3 ok on all units for thruput. Cannot find a solution for Beta4, after power off/ons reloads, server & laptop re-boots etc. Saying with Beta3. :)

UPDATE
I also had thruput performance issues with Beta4 on my RT-AX88U. Download went from 900Mb/S to 60Mb/s after a dirty conversion from Beta3 to Beta4. Checked GUI settings in QoS, disabled AI Protection and no resolution. BTW - with Beta3 install, had done a full factory reset and re-install of everything, after installing Beta3.
Actions to date to find a fix...
- Reinstalled Beta4 on Beta4 and no change.
- Reinstalled Beta4 again on Beta4 with USB mounted (opposed to unmounted which I usually do) and no change. Grasping at ideas now...
- SpdMerlin (Add-On Tab) was also showing the big drop of download speed on Beta4.
- Dirty conversion from Beta4 to Beta3. SpdMerlin, my laptop & server all back to previous performance download performance. yippee!!
- Reinstalled Beta4 in another dirty conversion over Beta3. Now Spdmerlin & my laptop ok, but not the server (60Mb/s). Did ethernet ipconfig resets on server, no changes.
Still playing to find what will resolve getting the server back working at 900Mb/s download on Beta4, opposed to current 60Mb/s.

Last edited:
RT-AC66U_B1 Dirty upgrade from beta 3 to beta 4. The first attempt to upgrade got the warning about third-party software, and it didn't flash. Knew it was the right software version so hit upload again and it flashed. No issues, just vanilla install with Diversion and Yazfi. Thank you RMerlin.

Update
Did a simple router reboot. Turned the router off, waited 1min and turned it back on. Waited again until everything was loaded and did another speed test. Happy to report that speeds are back to normal again! Will still keep an eye on it and will let you know if it drops again.

AX88U 1.1. Updated from beta3 to beta4.

- 386_41535 is broken a lot
- wire connection about 5% loss of internet speed over beta3
- wifi speed lost is significant, especially on upload. Had 250 mbps on beta3, have max 20 mpbs on beta4.

Did factory reset on beta4. The same results as above.

I have returned to beta3 as beta4 is not usable to me.

Fixed up my post..

Edit:
- Server (ethernet connect) thruput of 900Mb/s only 60Mb/s on Beta4.
- Laptop: (wireless connect) the thruput is about 70-80% of normal on Beta4, then Beta3 in same physical location (my desk).
- SpdMerlin. Beta3 & Beta4 (loads 3/4/5) thruput the same. Beta4 1st & 2nd loads, thruput was less then a 1/10 of usual.
Summary: Beta3 ok on all units for thruput. Cannot find a solution for Beta4, after power off/ons reloads, server & laptop re-boots etc. Saying with Beta3. :)

UPDATE
I also had thruput performance issues with Beta4 on my RT-AX88U. Download went from 900Mb/S to 60Mb/s after a dirty conversion from Beta3 to Beta4. Checked GUI settings in QoS, disabled AI Protection and no resolution. BTW - with Beta3 install, had done a full factory reset and re-install of everything, after installing Beta3.
Actions to date to find a fix...
- Reinstalled Beta4 on Beta4 and no change.
- Reinstalled Beta4 again on Beta4 with USB mounted (opposed to unmounted which I usually do) and no change. Grasping at ideas now...
- SpdMerlin (Add-On Tab) was also showing the big drop of download speed on Beta4.
- Dirty conversion from Beta4 to Beta3. SpdMerlin, my laptop & server all back to previous performance download performance. yippee!!
- Reinstalled Beta4 in another dirty conversion over Beta3. Now Spdmerlin & my laptop ok, but not the server (60Mb/s). Did ethernet ipconfig resets on server, no changes.
Still playing to find what will resolve getting the server back working at 900Mb/s download on Beta4, opposed to current 60Mb/s.

Similar issues on my AX88 1.1 Beta4 becasue of 386_41535 from RC10 is not usable. Had the same issue on RC10.

i have this problem in my router rt-ax88u

Really odd that you all encounter this issue - as stated above I do not see any change on the WAN Speed with Beta 4 on my AX88U V1.1 after upgrading from 386-stock FW.

Really odd that you all encounter this issue - as stated above I do not see any change on the WAN Speed with Beta 4 on my AX88U V1.1 after upgrading from 386-stock FW.
do you use the
AiProtection Trend Micro and
QOS ?

Hi, it is not the WAN internet speed, but wifi client speeds that drop down. For instance test going directly to speedtest.net from a within a wifi client and your transfer speeds will be slow even if the 'internet speed' test from the router admin gui shows normal speeds.

After more testing, what I’m seeing is that the speed starts at the correct level and then quickly drops for wifi clients until its about 20-30% of what I’d expect. Turning off QOS did not help. Testing within the router shows connectivity to internet is at speeds I would expect, and the router claims the link speeds to clients is as I would expect.

Curious, those with AX88U that are having the reduced bandwith issues on Beta 4, intead of just disabling the Trend Micro related features, if you instead "Withdraw" from the Privacy aggrement do you get your speeds back?

I went from Merlin Beta 3 to Asus 386 RC10 beta, had the same issue and went back to Merlin Beta 3, had to update the firmware using the Rescue method (something about ASUS 386 RC10 not being able to update in the release notes) to do it. Have since saw a post in the Beta 3 thread about withdrawing from the privacy agreement to get your Ookla Speedtest result back at the router/spdMerlin and can confirm that it worked. Just disabling the feature(s) didn't work, had to actually withdraw from the Privacy agreement

Attachments

• privacy.jpg
    privacy.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!