What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope - neither one

Then this is why you do not see the drops. Known fact that somehow the trendmicro related code is causing it. If you use wb history, apps analysis, QoS or AIProtection then the problem appears.. you have to switch off all these functions AND withdraw the security terms (in administration->Privacy tab) for the speed to return back.

I also confirmed it is not just an ookla issue. I used Xfinity's web based speed test which tests speed to the client and it is greatly reduced. Maybe 1/10th of what it should be.
AX88U speed works as expected here. Maybe, those of you who have drastic reduced speed should check your MTU value in the WAN section. Test your throughput by downloading a huge file, that should more or less tells you your actual speed instead of relying from servers you do the test from.

Note: No Trendmicro or QOS enabled

Last edited:
Curious, those with AX88U that are having the reduced bandwith issues on Beta 4, intead of just disabling the Trend Micro related features, if you instead "Withdraw" from the Privacy aggrement do you get your speeds back?

I went from Merlin Beta 3 to Asus 386 RC10 beta, had the same issue and went back to Merlin Beta 3, had to update the firmware using the Rescue method (something about ASUS 386 RC10 not being able to update in the release notes) to do it. Have since saw a post in the Beta 3 thread about withdrawing from the privacy agreement to get your Ookla Speedtest result back at the router/spdMerlin and can confirm that it worked.

If / when you withdraw the privacy statement all the functions that require it are switched off automatically.

After more testing, what I’m seeing is that the speed starts at the correct level and then quickly drops for wifi clients until its about 20-30% of what I’d expect. Turning off QOS did not help. Testing within the router shows connectivity to internet is at speeds I would expect, and the router claims the link speeds to clients is as I would expect.

Even more testing. I'm only seeing the speed hit on wifi on iDevices (iphone and ipad pro). For Intel based standard laptop and desktop pc's, I'm not seeing a speed decline.

AX88U speed works as expected here. Maybe, those of you who have drastic reduced speed should check your MTU value in the WAN section. Test your throughput by downloading a huge file, that should more or less tells you your actual speed instead of relying from servers you do the test from.

MTU is correctly set in my case (1492). In yours.. did you accept the trendmicro privacy statement ? (i.e are you using QoS, Web History, Apps Analysys or AiProtection?) If yes, then please confirm that you are measuring speeds from within a wifi client (not from the admin GUI) and you can still reach high speeds > 200mbps. If that is the case, please post any additional detail you may have about your wifi connection.

Even more testing. I'm only seeing the speed hit on wifi on iDevices (iphone and ipad pro). For Intel based standard laptop and desktop pc's, I'm not seeing a speed decline.

I was having the speed drop from a windows 10 client. Did not test iDevices.

I'm using QoS and want to use it. There were no issues on beta 3 and on RC9. I have tested the speed on real connection. Tried to upload file on my server. Normally it's 30+ MB/s on RC10/beta4 it's no more than 1.5MB/s. Will wait till they fix that issue. Tested on W10 and iDevices.

AX88U Hardware version 1.0 on 386.1 Beta 4 with AC68U as access point not AIMesh node.

@RMerlin I've reset and reset again several times chasing this issue: When I click the "View List" on the network map page to display the connected clients list, a few seconds later my streaming video pauses and restarts again. The log of the router has nothing to show. This was also apparent in the Beta 3. This is on a AX88U with a AC68U access point. No AImesh.

Also I have 7 devices listed in my "offline client list" under DHCP server on my AX88U that are in fact connected and working. Five of the devices are wireless and connected to the AX88U under 5G, two of them are cabled devices one of which is connected direct to the AX88U and the other through a switch. Because of this issue the client list on the network map page is incomplete, and also has that problem I specified above, however I don't know if they are related. If I want a true list of clients I go to my AC68U access point and it shows me everything, however it's currently on 384.19.

I know you haven't worked on bugs yet but I'm pulling my hair out, is this just me or what?

Last edited:
but now Asus have released 386 to public so shouldn't it be turned off?!

They didn't disable it. Nothing I can do about it.

Correction to my previous post - it's an RT-AC67U at the holiday house, but an AC68U - but the AC68U firmware has always worke

Then it probably "worked" by luck and not because it's supported - I do not support that model.

Are they better also running your releases, or stock firmware (in this case also based on the same GPL version)?

Most important thing is for them to run a similar code base than your main router. Beyond that, it doesn't matter.

May I ask what this means?

It means the new security daemon implemented by Asus is still disabled because it's not working properly yet, and they couldn't get it fixed in time for this beta release. That is all I can say about this.

We should probably update the known issues post of this thread.
I noticed people are reporting lots of the issues discussed here to ASUS on their RC2 thread thankfully.
Hopefully the next GPL release from ASUS fixes a bunch of the issues identified.

Last edited:
What about implementing of these feature in the firmware for all territories (moreover territory_code is absent at all in Merlin's CFE)?
Or it's not possible because the code that deals with territory_code parameter is closed?

I don't mess with region code, for legal reasons.
tested Beta 4 on my RT-AX-86U. The following troubles persists:

If you intend to use extensions, then you need to create a config file that defines those extensions.

I cannot confirm that turning off trend micros solves the speed decrease problem. When I toggle it off, it remains slow on idevices. for me, intel based devices still seem ok.

On beta4 I’m seeing a Big improvement in wireless speeds on the AX86u. 100 mbps faster on downloads on 5 GHz. Maxing out my gig connection now on my Wi-Fi 6 client, moving from 820 mbps (on betas 2 and 3, beta1 was far better) to 933 mbps down. Fastest speed I’ve ever seen from my Wi-Fi 6 client yet on this router.

will continue testing for stability and temps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!