What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 Beta (stage 2) is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confirmed here, too, on my AX88U.

I'm glad a workaround could be found, since both of the two AX88U's I've updated are refusing to go back to b3 and I'm quite reluctant to reset them.
Also resolved (Intel ethernet & Intel wireless) on my AX88U, with Beta4, after withdrawing from the Trend Micro agreement. Found with Beta3, if I withdrew a 10% improvement on the same ethernet and wireless devices.

It means the new security daemon implemented by Asus is still disabled because it's not working properly yet, and they couldn't get it fixed in time for this beta release. That is all I can say about this.

Hi Eric, what is the intended function of this security daemon?

Also resolved (Intel ethernet & Intel wireless) on my AX88U, with Beta4, after withdrawing from the Trend Micro agreement. Found with Beta3, if I withdrew a 10% improvement on the same ethernet and wireless devices.

Indeed. After withdrawal, I'm getting the fastest speeds I've ever seen on this device.

Interestingly, the Time Scheduling parental control features of AiProtection are apparently still active, even after withdrawal. These are by far the most important part of AiProtection for me, so I may be able to run in this state indefinitely now.

Also confirmed here: AX88U, Xfinity Gigabit Internet.

From a wired Win10 PC, running Ookla speedtest Win10 app:

Trend Micro disabled: ~950Mb down/~42Mb up
Any Trend Micro enabled: ~50Mb down/~42Mb up

Router CPU loads stay low in the trend micro enabled case, so not a CPU issue ...

Tried a factory reset & minimal config too, no help.

@Merlin. Was there only certain models affected by the CPU temp increase ? Reason for asking is on my AX58U the temps have remained the same 49-50c no change. Other then my Galaxy s7 takes a minute before internet is usable after a router reboot beta 4 seems quite good here.

I add this other error, reported by the system log.
I've seen it in other threads, no idea of what it means.

Code:
Jan  9 20:12:25 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000c6d
Jan  9 20:12:25 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m
Jan  9 20:12:32 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000c7c
Jan  9 20:12:32 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m
Jan  9 20:16:00 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000e46
Jan  9 20:16:00 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m
Jan  9 20:16:02 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000e58
Jan  9 20:16:02 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m
Jan  9 20:16:03 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000e61
Jan  9 20:16:03 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m
Jan  9 20:16:08 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000e6f
Jan  9 20:16:08 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m
Jan  9 20:16:20 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0;33;41mBLOG ERROR blog_request :blog_key corruption when adding flow net_p=ffffffc012460bf8  dir=1 old_key=0xfffffffe new_key=0x20000e99
Jan  9 20:16:20 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: [0m

Moreover, sometimes I see this too:
Code:
Jan  9 21:24:46 WMPP-RT-AC86U kernel: htb: htb qdisc 16: is non-work-conserving?

After not being able to resolve the client speed issue by turning off the trend micro app, I decided to downgrade. As others have mentioned, trying to roll back to beta 3 throws an error message. I was, however, able to roll back to the latest stock 384 version for the AX88U with no need for the recovery utility. It just worked. Client speed is now back to normal. I’ll wait until the next beta version to try again.

Hi again,
another High Temp issue about RT-AC86U.

I've just downgraded to 384.19 and noticed another thing.
The following setting: Energy Efficient Ethernet ENABLED

In 384.19 the following setting is ENABLED
In 386.1b4 is DISABLED

Other users confirm this too?

Also confirmed here: AX88U, Xfinity Gigabit Internet.

From a wired Win10 PC, running Ookla speedtest Win10 app:

Trend Micro disabled: ~950Mb down/~42Mb up
Any Trend Micro enabled: ~50Mb down/~42Mb up

Router CPU loads stay low in the trend micro enabled case, so not a CPU issue ...

Tried a factory reset & minimal config too, no help.
Turning off trend micro did not resolve the issue for me. I ended up rolling back to 384 stock on the AC88U.

Here on beta 4 with an AX88U i have issues with ethernet connected devices. Speed with my NAS and my laptop went slightly down. All wifi-devices are working fine. Very strange.

If / when you withdraw the privacy statement all the functions that require it are switched off automatically.
Correct, but there is a difference in disabling the features and withdrawing. Me, I didn't see a diference just turning the features off. Only after I withdrew did I see a performance change. Not sure if there is one feature that's responsible or interoperability with several of them that causes the slowdown. Withdrawing is basically a shotgun approach to turning it all off...

After two hours of use with the beta version 4 on the rt-ax88u it blocked and I had no access to internet and wifi, I had to turn off the power. I return to beta3

this
386_41535 have many problems......

I'll remove the RT-AX88U beta 4 image. I can't even flash an updated build on top of it right now, it fails some more validation that I can't determine. More shenanigan from Asus in their model/version validation possibly. Getting so tired of dealing with this...

upgraded from 384.18 to 386.1b4
ax88 full reset
everything working so far (3hrs)
thanks Merlin!

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel like I dodged a bullet by not (yet) going from 386. B3 to B4. Was wondering if this build was going to be pulled entirely, as even the Beta Asus RC2-10 386_41535 has been fairly problematic for many users. Ironically, Asus has deemed it stable enough to classify as a Release for many routers.

Withdrawl for Trend-Micro worked for me. The speed for the ethernet connected devices is now quite normal. Any explanation for that?

Stupid question..... Does anyone have skynet running on their AX88U with this beta?
Yes, works ok.

I have turned off before Adaptive QoS and it didn't change anything.

So, AiProtect -> Network Protection -> Off (nothing happened)
Administrastoon -> Privacy -> Trendmicro withdraw,

this happened:

Screenshot_20210109-221748_Speedtest.jpg

The following setting: Energy Efficient Ethernet ENABLED

In 384.19 the following setting is ENABLED
In 386.1b4 is DISABLED
I never looked at this until b3, tbh, but I have a recollection it was enabled.

If I endeavor to enable it (pwr config --eee on), wonky things happen. Specifically, a terminal session would hang for me, and if I did it as part of services-start, some of the addons would never start, or start but disappear. So I speculate there is a reason why it is now disabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!