What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to turn this off ?

Feb 4 18:29:51 Router kernel: udb_ioctl_copy_in: no handler for ioctl 0xd:0x3
Feb 4 18:29:51 Router kernel: udb_ioctl_copy_out: no handler for ioctl 0xd:0x4

Its filling up my System log

@Rob Q the answers to your questions are all in the link. Study well, my friend. :)

Resetting the router to factory defaults allows the installed firmware to use/see its expected defaults without any strange interaction from previous firmware's code bits.

If your network is running as you want, there is a low chance you need to do a full reset on it.

A reset via the GUI or via the WPS method doesn't affect the USB drive.

But a proper/full reset does. Look for the details in the post you quote. :)
I just upgraded the router but now the webpage isn't loading or responding. What do you suggest I do? Would your links work for my RT-AC1900P as well? I'm not using AiMesh.

Read the release notes on page 1 of this thread or the changelogs. It can take 60 minutes to 3 hours or more, depending on what router you have and what options are enabled on it. It is doing background work updating the internal database it uses.

I'm not sure which links you're talking about in this thread. I have a few. :)

1x AC68U AP (Media Bridge) updated. All stable. It's OOTB so don't expect issues. Will have to see how I feel about the 3 main routers this weekend! Thanks as usual @RMerlin

@RMerlin I have done a hard reset and reconfigured everything from 0.
I have captured a sceenshot because ACSD is consuming a lot of CPU, when I have even selected the channels to be used on 2.4 and 5Ghz, it's not on Auto

And of course it's increasing CPU temps

Attachments

• screenshot.2021-02-04 (1).jpg
    screenshot.2021-02-04 (1).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 141
  • screenshot.2021-02-04 (2).jpg
    screenshot.2021-02-04 (2).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 116
Oh geez. Thanks. I didn't see that.
I just did a full reset thinking something was broken according to these steps.
ax88 packet loss | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com)
I just finished the initial Setup Wizard. Okay, I will wait a bit and see what happens and all your links are really good! :)
The router is operating nice and smoothly. Network is back up and online. Now time to reinstall the addons, Diversion and Skynet. No change in my connection speed though. I guess I need to switch to a gigabit service. haha!

What I did was this.
Flashed v386.1, held the WPS button and pressed the power button, did a factory reset and reinitialized everything (Web GUI), flashed 386.1 again, factory reset and reinitialized everything again, did the initial setup, left it alone for awhile, came back and it was sitting there idle.

Clean upgrade from stock on my new AX58U. All working properly and very happy with the temps, comparing it to my ex-AC86U. ;)
Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 22.29.58.png

You can run the following command to back up DHCP, network map, port forwarding, and QOS rules into a script file:

Code:
nvram show | grep "custom_clientlist=<\|dhcp_staticlist=<\|dhcp_hostnames=<\|vts_rulelist=<\|qos_rulelist=<" | sed -e 's/^/nvram set /;s/=</="</;s/$/"/' -e '1i#! /bin/sh' -e '$anvram commit' > /opt/tmp/restorelists.sh

Just back up /opt/tmp/restorelists.sh to somewhere safe before doing a reset, and then run it to restore those settings.

I have used @Xentrk 's nvram save/restore for the past few updates. from 384 on (including 386.1):

Works fine from what I can tell. I do suspect @Xentrk will need to do some minor updates now that AIMesh 2 etc. is now in the firmware - but it has been working.

Assuming you have a USB stick, I installed the latest via AMTM - it's called "nsrum". It also backs up the entire /jffs folder (using tar - which makes checking things easy)

Since being on 386.1 on my AX88 after nukclear reset, manual config and no addons I found out today, that the 5Ghz band behaves a bit odd. Leaving it on Auto with 160Mhz enabled channel36 is being picked but no signal. Tried to assign a manual channel, it shows the selected channel but still no signal. Only turning 160Mhz off and selecting a manual channel (e.g. 100) brought my 5Ghz band and a signal back. Every config change during testing caused and entry in system log like
Feb 4 18:37:19 kernel: FPM Pool 0: invalid token 0x00b38000 freed
Feb 4 18:37:19 kernel: FPM Pool 1: invalid token 0x20ac0000 freed

Will do some further testing tomorrow and report back any further findings. HW is version 1.1 mad in China.

How's performance on AC86U . Any wifi performance issues and or bugs with this release?
No issues so far using mine as per signature.
I did need to wait about 5-10 min before I got the web page back but internet/Wi-Fi access worked fine.

Hey! Thank you for the update! Question - What is the ‘default’ HMAC authentication? Also is there one you would recommend. Speed is not as important as security. Also for TLS control channel I’ve chosen bidirectional and it seems to work. Just wondering if that’s the best option when security is your number one priority. And finally I disabled compression as I understand that’s more secure despite the default being LZO. Would you agree?
thank you.

@RMerlin I have done a hard reset and reconfigured everything from 0.
I have captured a sceenshot because ACSD is consuming a lot of CPU, when I have even selected the channels to be used on 2.4 and 5Ghz, it's not on Auto

And of course it's increasing CPU temps
ACSD is Broadcom's proprietary automatic channel selector. As a workaround I recommend setting a static channel.

I can't debug anything around acsd since it's closed source.

Hey! Thank you for the update! Question - What is the ‘default’ HMAC authentication? Also is there one you would recommend.

Use a GMC cipher, it won't require using a separate HMAC hash, which will on theory provide a slight improvement to performance.

I don't know what's the current default value, you'll have to check the OpenVPN documentation.

Updated Post #2 concerning a few missing features related to build profiles being out of sync with upstream, will be fixed for the next release.

ACSD is Broadcom's proprietary automatic channel selector. As a workaround I recommend setting a static channel.

I can't debug anything around acsd since it's closed source.

Use a GMC cipher, it won't require using a separate HMAC hash, which will on theory provide a slight improvement to performance.

I don't know what's the current default value, you'll have to check the OpenVPN documentation.
That's exactly what I did, both bands have static channel... that's the strange thing... but if it's closed source, there's not too much you can do then. Thanks anyway!

Hi All,

I have just upgraded my RT-AC86U to Merlin 386.1 and so far have been very happy with the update.

I use the Dual Wan mode and have a Huawei B535 4g router attached to Lan 1 as a ‘failover backup’ to my main WAN connection. With previous firmwares the Secondary Wan would revert to Cold Standby after a couple of hours and would not switch over successfully, however the new firmware seems to have fixed this.

Well done, Merlin. :)

It was. I used it before...
It must have been a bug as 160 MHz is only relevant to Wi-Fi 6 (AX) and not Wi-Fi 5 (AC). So not applicable then to AC-88U model but it is on the AX-88U which I have.

UPDATE: my bad this is incorrect as confirmed by Merlin some AC-88U units do support 160 MHz...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!