What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.11 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AC68U dirty upgrade to 386.11 from 386.7, all okay except VPN Server: clients connect just fine, but no internet or LAN access, it is like the kill switch is on.
What is your server Compression setting? Try setting it to Disable.
I think I had something similar a while ago and I think that solved it.
Maybe something to do with OpenVPN versions.
I may have had to play with the Client compression settings as well, but not sure what client software you are using.

Thank you Stephen.

Compression is set to Disable. Client software is Android OpenVPN Connect, OpenVPN app 3.3.4 (9290) on multiple clients (Chromebook, Samsung S10 cell, etc.). OpenVPN server on AC68P 386.11 setup is default (except different port), figure below.

I have confirmed in clients OpenVPN Compression is net to "No". It seems like something in the new 386.11 is blocking VPN data throughput. I can switch to my other AC68U's Servers on 386.7 and VPN is working just fine. I wonder if the OpenVPN Connect app itself not be as updated as 386.11? I have tried both OpenVPN connect 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 (2023.04.28) and same result.

Other suggestions?

Thank you

AC68P 386.11, OpenVPN:
1688918104188.png

OpenVPN Connect app 3.3.4:
1688919310215.png

Who knows when you rrouter got infected. All I can say is that updaterservice that's crashing is part of a known malware.
So, I'd rolled back to .10, but gave .11 another go today. I factory reset while in .10. I restored my config from when .10 had first been installed. I then upgraded to .11 (a verified signature file this time!). All my settings were preserved, the recurring log entries were not present after the install, and all is running perfectly with .11!!! Plus, I did manage to save a lengthy manual reinstall of all my settings. So far...SMOOTH!

Thank you Stephen.

Compression is set to Disable. Client software is Android OpenVPN Connect, OpenVPN app 3.3.4 (9290) on multiple clients (Chromebook, Samsung S10 cell, etc.). OpenVPN server on AC68P 386.11 setup is default (except different port), figure below.

I have confirmed in clients OpenVPN Compression is net to "No". It seems like something in the new 386.11 is blocking VPN data throughput. I can switch to my other AC68U's Servers on 386.7 and VPN is working just fine. I wonder if the OpenVPN Connect app itself not be as updated as 386.11? I have tried both OpenVPN connect 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 (2023.04.28) and same result.

Other suggestions?

Thank you

AC68P 386.11, OpenVPN:

OpenVPN Connect app 3.3.4:
No issues for me. Running OpenVPN for Android 0.7.43 on Android 13 connecting to my AC86U running 386.11.

When I started this post I thought we were using the same Android app but discovered I was using a different app. Decided to leave this here anyway.

1689105143776.png

You're running old firmware, so 'maybe'.

Before you upgrade, at least do the following, to be able to get back to where you are now.

I want to report an issue I had the other day doing a semi-automatic firmware dowload&update on an AC68U Aimesh Node in the Web interface.

Setup:
- Main router: AC86U on Merlin 386.11.

- Node to be updated: AC68U with approximately a year old official firmware.

What happened?:
Started the update. It took forever, so I closed the WebGUI tab and opened it in a new tab again

Now I could browse the Network Map page (but things were moving slow), but as soon as I clicked "Aimesh" on the left menu, I did not get the Aimesh map, but the same hanging progress bar of the update (I think it said something like "downloading firmware").

Eventually, the whole Web GUI slowed to a halt and crashed, requiring a manual restart of the AC86U main router.

After rebooting, the network worked as normal, but the AC86U had very high CPU loads. Restarting did not help.

Had to update to the last official firmware in order to get rid of the high CPU load.

I then updated the AC68U from uploading the firmware file via the web interface, not the Update button, which worked.

I have not tried to flash the AC86U main router back to Merlin yet, as the network is under daily load by multiple users in different households whose patience I don't want to strain, so I have to wait for an appropriate timeslot.

Other details
I have upgraded to the same firmware before on another AC68U node in the same network, which caused an issue requiring a manual restart on the AC68U node, but it didn't crash the main router.

Conclusion:
Updating the AC68U via the Update in Web GUI is buggy and unreliable.

Last edited:
Does the block internet access to wireless clients work for anyone? I turn the slider to On and hit apply and it doesn't do anything for the devices connected to the AC68U
iirc correctly it used to bring a pop up on the blocked device that said "this device has been blocked from the internet" but it doesn't show that but just stops the device from loaded webpages for me.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!