What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.11 is now available for AC models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lost connectivity to the router (rt-86U) shortly after a scheduled reboot which was performed at 06:00.

May 26 06:29:40 networkmap: Error locking /var/lock//usr/networkmap/nmp_conv_type.js.lock: 2 No such file or directory
May 26 06:29:40 networkmap: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor
May 26 06:29:40 networkmap: Error locking /var/lock//usr/networkmap/nmp_vendor_type.js.lock: 2 No such file or directory
May 26 06:29:40 networkmap: Error locking /var/lock//usr/networkmap/nmp_bwdpi_type.js.lock: 2 No such file or directory

Logging in showed that /usr/networkmap/nmp_bwdpi_type.js.lock did exist.
Where did the prefix /var/lock/ come from ?
It's a known bug in networkmap. Only Asus can fix it.

There's a workaround of sorts here:

Last edited:
Reserved post.
Tried to update my AC88U from 386.10 to 386.11. Never came out of "Please Wait" mode. I finally manually rebooted it and thankfully it did come back up but still showed 386.10. So I tried to update two of my AC68P mesh nodes to 386.11. Same thing, both never came out of Please wait screen. They did finally reboot without power cycling but still show 386.10 firmware. For some reason they are not accepting the 386.11 firmware. I have never run into this before.

I just tried to update my RT-AC68U to the most recent version RT-AC68U_386.11_0. It tells me to please wait until it restarts and is still Current Version : 386.10. I have tried from a couple different browsers without luck. Any thoughts?
Same problem on both my AC68P nodes and AC88U main router. Won't accept 386.11 apparently.

Same problem on both my AC68P nodes and AC88U main router. Won't accept 386.11 apparently.

Unplug all USB and factory reset with WPS button both before and after upgrading. Worked fine on my 1900/68U.

Thanks, but I think I will run 386.10 for a while longer. Something isn't right with this upgrade if it takes a ground zero reset just to get it to take it. IMO

Thanks, but I think I will run 386.10 for a while longer. Something isn't right with this upgrade if it takes a ground zero reset just to get it to take it. IMO

Honestly I'm surprised you were able to get 386.10 on the AC68 without a reset. Are you having NVRAM issues?

Several versions have required factory reset, and it is a good idea from time to time anyway. 386.11 made some major changes to the AC68 (possibly the 88 too, don't recall) removing some VPN client options to free up NVRAM. So something you have set or left over may be interfering.

I did a factory reset before and after 386.11 on my AC1900 (AC68U) over the weekend, install went find and it has been very stable.

Honestly I'm surprised you were able to get 386.10 on the AC68 without a reset. Are you having NVRAM issues?

Several versions have required factory reset, and it is a good idea from time to time anyway. 386.11 made some major changes to the AC68 (possibly the 88 too, don't recall) removing some VPN client options to free up NVRAM. So something you have set or left over may be interfering.

I did a factory reset before and after 386.11 on my AC1900 (AC68U) over the weekend, install went find and it has been very stable.
I am not having any issues. The three AC68Ps are mesh nodes and the AC88U is the main router. If I decide to upgrade for some reason I will do the reset but it is not necessary at this point.

Something isn't right with this upgrade if it takes a ground zero reset just to get it to take it. IMO
It's not that something isn't right with the firmware update, it's later versions of the RT-AC68U Asus-Merlin firmware are running into issues with the limited NVRAM on the RT-AC68U models. Weird things start happening on the RT-AC68U when the NVRAM gets full or close to full. First step, if one is having issues with being unable to install the latest Asus-Merlin 386.11 firmware on a RT-AC68U, is to check the NVRAM usage to see if it's full or close to full. If it is then try running the various script/code methods detailed in the various other discussions on Low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U to lower the NVRAM usage. That might free up the router to install the 386.11 on the RT-AC68U models. One example method (note - does not survive reboot) of potentially clearing some NVRAM space on a RT-AC68U running Asus-Merlin firmware:
for line in `nvram show | grep ^[^=]*=$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit
After installing the 386.11 firmware on a RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U, make sure to follow the Change-Log directions of running the file clear_vpnclients.sh after firmware update.

It's not that something isn't right with the firmware update, it's later versions of the RT-AC68U Asus-Merlin firmware are running into issues with the limited NVRAM on the RT-AC68U models. Weird things start happening on the RT-AC68U when the NVRAM gets full or close to full. First step, if one is having issues with being unable to install the latest Asus-Merlin 386.11 firmware on a RT-AC68U, is to check the NVRAM usage to see if it's full or close to full. If it is then try running the various script/code methods detailed in the various other discussions on Low NVRAM on the RT-AC68U to lower the NVRAM usage. That might free up the router to install the 386.11 on the RT-AC68U models. One example method (note - does not survive reboot) of potentially clearing some NVRAM space on a RT-AC68U running Asus-Merlin firmware:

After installing the 386.11 firmware on a RT-AC68U and DSL-AC68U, make sure to follow the Change-Log directions of running the file clear_vpnclients.sh after firmware update.
Thanks. I am running my 3 AC68P routers as AI-Mesh nodes. NVRAM is not an issue there. The AC88U has plenty of available NVRAM. Like I said, I'll just run 386.10 for a while longer. No problems with it and no big need to update. If need be, I'll wipe all 4 and do the updates in the future.

I recently updated my RT-AC1900P from 386.7_2 to 386.11 and it's been 2 days in a row I'm still up past midnight and at midnight past 3 minutes I don't know what the router do but I get disconnected (I'm wired). It takes like 2 minutes to be back online. Not fun when playing in a ranked match! I could not even tell my teamates in Discord what was going on. There is only Diversion and uiDivStats installed and they are not set to compile stats or whetever at that hour. Is this happening to anyone else? I took a look in all menus if there was a router reboot option we could program but didn't see that.

The system log just show this:

Code:
May  5 01:05:20 wsdd2[413]: terminating.
Jun  3 00:04:38 roamast: ROAMING Start...

Which is strange because yesterday when it happened I didn't know what was going on and I switched the router off to restart it. Tonight I've let it go so there should be more lines between May 5 and June 3rd. I'm lost.

Last edited:
I recently updated my RT-AC1900P from 386.7_2 to 386.11 and it's been 2 days in a row I'm still up past midnight and at midnight past 3 minutes I don't know what the router do but I get disconnected (I'm wired). It takes like 2 minutes to be back online. Not fun when playing in a ranked match! I could not even tell my teamates in Doscord what was going on. There is only Diversion and uiDivStats installed and they are not set to compile stats or whetever at that hour. Is this happening to anyone else? I took a look in all menus if there was a router reboot option we could program but didn't see that.

The system log just show this:

Code:
May  5 01:05:20 wsdd2[413]: terminating.
Jun  3 00:04:38 roamast: ROAMING Start...

Which is strange because yesterday when it happened I didn't know what was going on and I switched the router off to restart it. Tonight I've let it go so there should be more lines between May 5 and June 3rd. I'm lost.

Did you factory reset or at least run the script to remove the extra VPN connections and fix the NVRAM issues?

I recently updated my RT-AC1900P from 386.7_2 to 386.11 and it's been 2 days in a row I'm still up past midnight and at midnight past 3 minutes I don't know what the router do but I get disconnected (I'm wired).
When you updated from 386.7_2 to 386.11 did you do a hard factory reset after updating to 386.11 and manually reconfigure (no import of saved router CFG file)?

What is the NVRAM usage (see Tools page in the GUI).

If you have the low NVRAM issue that plagues certain Asus routers (RT-AC68U and it's cousins) one may want to see the many other discussions on Low NVRAM to see how others are dealing with it. One may need to do a hard factory reset, manually reconfigure (no router CFG import), and follow the 386.11 Change_Log directions for running the clear_vpnclients.sh file.

Did you factory reset or at least run the script to remove the extra VPN connections and fix the NVRAM issues?
Had no VPN but still ran the script after the update mostly because I was curious.

Last edited:
When you updated from 386.7_2 to 386.11 did you do a hard factory reset after updating to 386.11 and manually reconfigure (no import of saved router CFG file)?

What is the NVRAM usage (see Tools page in the GUI).
60841 / 65536 bytes which is normal for my model and I haven't updated to the problematic previous version but I still ran the script to clear what could be there just in case. No factory reset, I know it may help in some situations but not sure about what's happening, like I said exactly 3 minutes after midnight it's like the router restart. If it does it always at the same time, there must be something that trigger it.

What I may do tonight is remove Diversion and uiDivStats and the attached USB key and see if the same will happen.

Last edited:
like I said exactly 3 minutes after midnight it's like the router restart. If it does it always at the same time, there must be something that trigger it.
Login via ssh and look at cron jobs:
Code:
cru l
What I may do tonight is remove Diversion and uiDivStats and the attached USB key and see if the same will happen.
You should be able to happily run Diversion with the Standard list. If you’re using a larger list, try going back to standard. Consider removing only uiDivStats — it’s a heavy-duty Addon that can overwhelm a router at times.

Check your syslog levels on the syslog page. Have you ever changed them? How are they set now?

Login via ssh and look at cron jobs:
cru l
0 1-23 * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats generate #uiDivStats_generate#
1 0 * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats trimdb #uiDivStats_trim#
* * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats querylog #uiDivStats_querylog#
4-59/5 * * * * /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats flushtodb #uiDivStats_flushtodb#
00 4 * * Sun /bin/sh /opt/share/diversion/file/update-bl.div reset #Diversion_UpdateBL#
20 5 * * * /bin/sh /opt/share/diversion/file/rotate-logs.div #Diversion_RotateLogs#
20 17 * * * diversion count_ads count #Diversion_CountAds#
30 3 * * Sun /bin/sh /opt/share/diversion/file/stats.div #Diversion_WeeklyStats#

Consider removing only uiDivStats — it’s a heavy-duty Addon that can overwhelm a router at times.

I'll do that, I rarely look at stats anyway.

Nothing happened this time so maybe it was uiDivStats. Thanks all.

I'll be moving to a more up to date router over the next couple of months but want to squeeze a bit more life out of the AC68U. I'm currently on John's last beta firmware (53D7) on my AC68U. I'd like to give this firmware a go since it has more up to date security patches, OpenVPN etc.

Does this firmware have a DDNS entry for namecheap? if not is there a way to add that to the drop-down list? Thanks very much for any assistance.

Last edited:
Does this firmware have a DDNS entry for namecheap? if not is there a way to add that to the drop-down list? Thanks very much for any assistance.
I don't know if namecheap is supported, but if not, you can use the custom ddns features and ddns-start custom scripts to update your ddns.

I'll be moving to a more up to date router over the next couple of months but want to squeeze a bit more life out of the AC68U. I'm currently on John's last beta firmware (53D7) on my AC68U. I'd like to give this firmware a go since it has more up to date security patches, OpenVPN etc.

There might be better/more secure/up to date alternatives since that particular project may be abandoned.

EDIT: I misunderstood what you were saying. You are thinking of moving TO Merlin 386.xx. I should remind myself of the context of this particular thread. Nevermind, that's a good choice.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!