What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good on 2x AX86U's - dirty flash from 386.2_Alpha2.
Have thrown lots at Cake - video / audio / streaming / zoom / YouTube - no buffering - triple A+ on DSLReports.
Thanks again for superb work. :D.
Maybe folks can also report if they're running a VPN along with CAKE as well as it may affect true results. That's really good to hear.

Maybe folks can also report if they're running a VPN along with CAKE as well as it may affect true results. That's really good to hear.
Fwiw In my case I've tested VPN client with an disabled DNS using DOT, resulted in approx 15% less download speed on the VPN client.

Can you stop working so fast, I have to wait until the middle of the night to do these changes or I get grief.

Yes, especially during prime time as servers as well as your ISP may be suffering from congestion.

Weird thing: I consistently get way better results (Overall A+, BufferBloat A, Quality A+, 225 down, 22 up) on my iPad Pro, than on my PC (wired) or 2019 MacBook Pro (wireless).

FWIW I have never gotten more than a "C" on DSLReports speedtest/bufferbloat.
With this build, downloading a 150Gb file from Google, I get an A+ across the board.

Working a treat Merlin, thanks.

Do I need to uninstall the 'standalone' version of Cake before I enable Cake in this beta FW?

Need help, trying to load merlin firmware on my AC3100 and it keeps telling me I have invalid firmware. I an trying to load 386.1_2. It currently has the latest Asus firmware 9004.386.41994. Even tried factory reset and manually put my settings in and no luck.

Do I need to uninstall the 'standalone' version of Cake before I enable Cake in this beta FW?
Yes, to ensure they don`t conflict with one another.

A future update of the script should better tie in with the new implementation.

Yes, to ensure they don`t conflict with one another.

A future update of the script should better tie in with the new implementation.
Thanks for the warning, I'll wait with testing since I'm on Comcast and need the wash option in Cake-QoS active for downloads. Unless there is a way to change the cake config file for your implementation to add extra options?

i have 1000/41 can cake just be setup for upload? does that even make sense?

I don't think so because enabling cake forces Hardware acceleration to be disabled. That will tank your 1000 download to 300 or less.

Thanks for the warning, I'll wait with testing since I'm on Comcast and need the wash option in Cake-QoS active for downloads. Unless there is a way to change the cake config file for your implementation to add extra options?

My implementation does use wash on the ingress, largely because of Comcast's screwy handling of DSCP.

Dirty flash coming from 386.1_2. No internet connection after the flash.

Reverted back to 386.1_2 and internet connection works normally. I'll skip this beta 1

AX-RT88U router and AX-RT58U node on (42075)

My implementation does use wash on the ingress, largely because of Comcast's screwy handling of DSCP.
Sweet, wasn't aware of that - loading the new beta now.

Implemented Cake and seemed to be working properly.
As stated "will also disable NAT acceleration, so it can't be used if you have a fast Internet connection", and I was reaching 240Mbps, so I disabled due to my comcrap (1Gb/40Mb) connection.
Edit: Forgot to mention, main/AP working well on latest beta.
Stay Safe Everyone

Last edited:
@RMerlin If I do a speedtest, download bandwidth takes longer to climb to the max on this build compared to 386.2 alpha 1. Download speed was a bit more consistent on previous alpha 1.

Latency is much better when downloading something on steam. On 386.2 alpha 1 downloading something on steam would cause insane latency, even capping download 20% lower didn't fix it. This is only using one pc, if i tested latency on another pc while my main pc was downloading on steam no latency issues.

Steam downloads were even worse than torrents...

Edit 2: Torrents don't take all bandwidth anymore, ignore last edit.

ADSL2+ 12/1.

Last edited:
Dirty flash coming from 386.1_2. No internet connection after the flash.

Reverted back to 386.1_2 and internet connection works normally. I'll skip this beta 1

AX-RT88U router and AX-RT58U node on (42075)
This is interesting. I'll be doing the same upgrade later - will advise if my RT-AX88U Router has similar issue. My RT-AX88U AP had no issues.

EDIT: My RT-AX88U Router Dirty Upgrade from 386.1_2 Release was fine. Not using CAKE or VPN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!