What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting.
No, it's not. From a beta test point of view, this is absolutely useless data for me. The poster didn't even provide very basic information as to what type of Internet connection, or what steps he took to confirm the problem was with the firmware.

If there's really a bug (which I personally doubt based on what little information I have here to work with) and no further info/troubleshooting steps is provided, then expect the same bug to still be there in a final release.

The point of a beta test isn't to provide people with early toys. It's to gather debugging information, ahead of a final release.

No, it's not. From a beta test point of view, this is absolutely useless data for me. The poster didn't even provide very basic information as to what type of Internet connection, or what steps he took to confirm the problem was with the firmware.

If there's really a bug (which I personally doubt based on what little information I have here to work with) and no further info/troubleshooting steps is provided, then expect the same bug to still be there in a final release.

The point of a beta test isn't to provide people with early toys. It's to gather debugging information, ahead of a final release.
Great points and fully agree. FWIW, my Router upgrade was fine. No Cake or VPN.

AX88U everything working excellent, no complaints.

BTW, the same issue with no internet (AC3100 in my case). Unfortunately, I have to revert back right now, so here is all information that I can provide atm:
- internet connection through PPPoE
- internet connection is available immediately after router reboot. but drops after some time (and there was no internet on the first boot just after firmware update). when issue occurs - internet is available from router itself, but not for clients (tested both from wired machine and wifi) - so looks like routing/firewall issue
- I have Skynet installed - who knows, maybe it's related...

Not work the information only in this router rt-ax56u

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210310_232336.jpg
    Screenshot_20210310_232336.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 259
I just wanted to say that with this build my AX88 feels faster, stuff works much better on my macbook. Too bad i didn't do an iPerf before/after. I just wanted to say thanks.

On the Beta, RT-AX88U Router Speed test is in line with expected results... 1000/30 connection from Rogers.

kLNvi3U.png

BTW, the same issue with no internet (AC3100 in my case). Unfortunately, I have to revert back right now, so here is all information that I can provide atm:
Does the system log report anything regarding the WAN status when it drops?

How are you testing the Internet connection? Check by trying to ping an IP address like 8.8.8.8 to see if it's a DNS issue or really a connectivity issue.

The only WAN-related change in 386_42095 that I am aware of is now Asus configures static routes to the WAN DNS servers.

Thanks for the update. Working great on AX88U
diversion, skynet,vnstat installed. Also running Cake

The changelog doesn't include everything, only github does.

No, as mentionned this is based on 386_42095.

I tried to find the AsuWRT fw of AX86U and AC86U but could not find one close to 386.42xx but

AX86U latest released firmware and the only can download 486.41535 (beta is 386.41994)
AC86U latest released firmware and the only can download 486.41634 (beta is 386.41994)

By looking at the number, 42095 seems to be lateral version that even AsusWRT beta as well. not even 42095

Do you know what fw 386.42095 equivalent to AX86U & AC86U's?

Last edited:
AX86U 386.2 beta 1 MD5 code I get does not match the one in zip file. Using WinMD5Free v1.20
Downloaded from Sourceforge.

Edit: My error. used MD5. When I used sha256 it matched. Sorry for the panic...

Last edited:
Installed and running fine. At first I had no connectivity even thought the WAN showed up, and my ISP's dhcp server assigned me an address. I spoofed the MAC and was assigned a new IP, and still couldn't ping by IP or name (1.1.1.1/google.com) from the router or from anything on my LAN. It also caused my VPN clients, and server not to come up even though I have an IP in for the provider so it doesn't require DNS to come up. If I went into each of them and hit apply they would come up.

I fixed the issue by changing my WAN DNS servers strangely enough. I set it to use DOH with the Adguard servers, and it has ran fine since. I'm going to play around some more tonight when I have time to see if I can narrow down what is causing it. My original WAN/LAN DNS was served my two Bind9 servers that I run on my LAN (they aren't routed through the VPN). I've ran it that way for years, and have only had the issue on the last alpha that was released, and on this beta.

(AX88U/Skynet/Scribe/scMerlin with an AC68U mesh node)

Last edited:
Updated both units and running great so far. I uninstalled my cli cake install and enabled the built in version. Seems to cause no issues with my full time Torguard dedicated IP VPN.

AC88U - upgraded from alpha 2 to beta 1. Had an issue with Internet access from Guest network 1. After trying many things I managed to resolve it by editing (add/apply/remove/apply) DNS-over-TLS server list.

Edit: BTW tested internet access with ping to 1.1.1.1 and failed. If I enabled intranet access it worked. Soon as intranet access removed it failed again until I make the DNS server list edit.

On the Beta, RT-AX88U Router Speed test is in line with expected results... 1000/30 connection from Rogers.

kLNvi3U.png

Do you have any Trend Micro features turned on? Because with my 1 Gb up/down connection, if Trend Micro is enabled, that builtin speeds tops out at 500-600 Mbps even though computer speed test are fine. With everything turned off, it has no issues reaching 900+ Mbps up/down,

Upgraded from 386.1_2 on RT-AC86U. Tried to change an icon on a manually assigned DHCP address. A list of choices (not icons.."Electronic Devices", "Media and Entertainment", etc.) comes up, but none of choices are selectable except for the "+" to select a external icon. In other words, there are no internal icons?
I'm not sure if it is related, but I am running YazDHCP.

Upgraded from 386.1_2 on RT-AC86U. Tried to change an icon on a manually assigned DHCP address. A list of choices (not icons.."Electronic Devices", "Media and Entertainment", etc.) comes up, but none of choices are selectable except for the "+" to select a external icon. In other words, there are no internal icons?
I'm not sure if it is related, but I am running YazDHCP.
Clear the browser cache and they'll show up.

Maybe folks can also report if they're running a VPN along with CAKE as well as it may affect true results. That's really good to hear.

I am running OpenVPN Server only - and that works fine under Beta and Cake ... can't comment on VPN Client issues.
My Mobile devices all connect through Home RT-AX86U main router over OpenVPN server - to enjoy the protection offered by Diversion and Skynet as well as use of Unbound DNS. Connection speeds depend on mobile data links which in RSA are not as quick as my FTTH 100u/200d.

AC88U - upgraded from alpha 2 to beta 1. Had an issue with Internet access from Guest network 1. After trying many things I managed to resolve it by editing (add/apply/remove/apply) DNS-over-TLS server list.

Edit: BTW tested internet access with ping to 1.1.1.1 and failed. If I enabled intranet access it worked. Soon as intranet access removed it failed again until I make the DNS server list edit.
I lost the internet after an upgrade to the beta as well. Upgrade problems have historically been excedingly rare for me with the AC-88U (indeed I can't remember one).

After turning off the DNS privacy protocol stuff, my internet came back. Scary stuff. Like I said, I've been upgrading through the firmwares for years now, never had an issue. I've reverted back to 386.1_2. I'll wait until the smoke clears on whatever the issue is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!