What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have observed the same. This log folder has one or more files (the number increase with time) and its size grows pretty quick compared with other databases (syslog, traffic, etc).

The content of the files has no too much relevant information (at least for me, e.g. lines as { "time": "1613288325", "event_name": "SYS", "node_type": "C", "node_ip": "192.168.1.1", "node_mac": "XX:XX:XX:XX:XX", "fw_ver": "3.0.0.4.386.1_2", "tcode": "EU\/01", "AiProtection": "1", "usb_mode": "1", "acceleration": "0,0" }).

From time to time, I delete the files in this folder through ssh. It seems that it does not produce any harm, but any advice about its nature is welcomed.
Good morning, checked on two AX88U nodes and I can confirm:
  • I can see diag_db folder no both nodes
  • I have not seen it before this beta and I check .sys folder
  • On the AiMesh node no files in this folder
  • On the AiMesh router conn_diag files are thre and pretty large so I can assume they are growing
Code:
1744896 Mar 12 00:00 conn_diag_1615420800.db
1617920 Mar 12 06:35 conn_diag_1615507200.db
Going to delete them, do you already have a cru job for that purpose?

• On the AiMesh router conn_diag files are thre and pretty large so I can assume they are growing
Code:
Personally I haven't done anything about them. Just manually removing em once . Still waiting for Merlin's answer regarding this. But I'd prob make a cronjob later on to automatically remove em every few hours..

I was having all kinds of weird wifi connectivity issues with my brand new AX86U that I never had with the AC86U. Pretty much the same as what you are describing. I ended up disabling 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode and Target Wake Time on the 2.4 Ghz band and I think that has fixed it. I didn't even know that AX mode was applicable to 2.4 Ghz? Not sure if this will help you.
Morning, WiFi6 can operate in both bands, see 802.11.ax standard. Probably the only situation when it makes sense to use 2.4Ghz is when a WiFi6 capable client is out of 5Ghz range, which is shorter than 2.4.
I had such situation before buying another AX88U for AiMesh and it worked perfectly fine on previous Merlin versions. I can do a test later today to see if all good on 386.2 beta.
With regards WiFi settings what I found best is to leave as many of them as I can as per router factory defaults instead of tinkering with them widely (what I have done of course in the past).

For example the only changes I make from factory defaults
- disabling universal beamforming, I believe this helps somehow with a stability
- reduce 2.4Ghz bandwidth to 20Mhz because 40Mhz does not work with some Apple devices

Good luck.

Looks like there's something broke in the rule generation for '-j other2wan' rules

In the first file
-A FORWARD -o ! -i br0 -j other2wan (there is no output interface specified)

In the second file
-A FORWARD -o 57 161 165 ! -i br0 -j other2wan (looks like maybe a malformed attempt at an address for the output interface?)
I checked the code earlier today, and the code itself looks fine to me. It retrieves the physical WAN interface from wanX_ifname, where X is the current unit. Makes me wonder if his nvram might possibly be corrupted, the request posted by Dave should provide more info.

Answer regarding what? This is the database generated by the conn_diag service, nothing unusual there.

Yeah but it's going up significantly fast . Like a day I think it got up from 0 to 3MB. Like does it have a limit so we don't have to worry ? Like for traffic analyzer we don't really have to worry since it has a 30mb limit. But this? Does this have a limit on the size? Since 3mb in a day is pretty big

This looks wrong. The numbers should be your wan interface name. And there is no WAN interface in the second one after the -o.
Code:
-A FORWARD -o 57 161 165 ! -i br0 -j other2wan
Code:
-A FORWARD -o  ! -i br0 -j other2wan
What do you see if you run this command?
Code:
nvram show 2>/dev/null | grep -E "wan[01]_.*ifname"
Here is my output:
wan0_gw_ifname=ppp0
wan1_pppoe_ifname=
wan0_ifname=eth0
wan0_pppoe_ifname=ppp0
wan1_ifname=eth3
wan1_gw_ifname=eth3

However, I have to say that I have dual-wan enabled (if that is important) with usb-4g modem

P.S. And I did a full factory reset just before going to the Beta. I was doing a lot of dirty updates, so after updating to the atest stable - made a full reset, with formatting usb and jffs and reconfiguring everything from scratch manually.

Installed, no issues thus far.

For Info, whilst I was convinced (and maybe hallucinating) that I'd used it successfully on the Alpha, Guest Network 1 (2.4Ghz in my example) is still broken on this Beta causing issues with DHCP renewals and general loss of connectivity for my devices on my main network - with isolation turned on, and then also after turning off isolation. Removing the guest network 1 has solved the issues.

I'm aware that this is a long standing Asus issue, however I'd convinced myself that it was solved in the 386_42095 GPL & SDK. I was obviously mistaken.

Here is my output:
wan0_gw_ifname=ppp0
wan1_pppoe_ifname=
wan0_ifname=eth0
wan0_pppoe_ifname=ppp0
wan1_ifname=eth3
wan1_gw_ifname=eth3

However, I have to say that I have dual-wan enabled (if that is important) with usb-4g modem

P.S. And I did a full factory reset just before going to the Beta. I was doing a lot of dirty updates, so after updating to the atest stable - made a full reset, with formatting usb and jffs and reconfiguring everything from scratch manually.
I think you need another factory reset. Those numbers look like they belong to unrelated nvram vars wl1_chansps or wl1_chlist. So something bad is happening.

Are you running any scripts at startup (post-mount, init-start, services-start) that update nvram...have 'nvram set' commands?

Are you running any scripts at startup (post-mount, init-start, services-start) that update nvram...have 'nvram set' commands?
Nothing custom, only installed by amtm. and I've tried to move scripts folder and restart firewall after that - no change. I assume that this error may be somehow related to dual wan with USB modem - I'll check it on the evening.

Please clarify what you mean by forcing DNS to VPN and which DNS servers you are using?
Sorry, I said that wrong, On Guest 1 and when I force DNS-149.112.121.20(DoT) which are circa.ca servers https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield
Clients are able to connect to the internet-

Its when I Redirect them a VPN instead, In the VPN setting is shows them being forwarded to there, I have used Client 1 or 3 and they are still connecting with there WAN IP. But as soon as I use Guest 2, with the same settings in the VPN client config, they are able to pull the VPN IP

I think you need another factory reset. Those numbers look like they belong to unrelated nvram vars wl1_chansps or wl1_chlist. So something bad is happening.
Why you think they are bad? As for me - they are looking logical - I have dual wan - so wan0 and wan1 are present. wan0 is PPPoE and wa1 is usb-connected modem, that is acting as NAT router (from what I remember - it is configured as CDC) - so it is referenced as eth3 (which is OK)

Why you think they are bad? As for me - they are looking logical - I have dual wan - so wan0 and wan1 are present. wan0 is PPPoE and wa1 is usb-connected modem, that is acting as NAT router (from what I remember - it is configured as CDC) - so it is referenced as eth3 (which is OK)
The original numbers in the firewall rules look bad (57 161 165).

Code:

I have been running alpha2 with the same GPL since the weekend (4 days 8 hours). The one file is ~4MB and the other is 1.7MB. Lets not worry about these files getting too large until it is shown. What ist he largest file size people say?

No point to delete, just let it run and see, likely they cap the size.

I had some time to test the Cake implementation, everything seems to work as expected on my Comcast connection with 200/12Mbit. I tested the following scenario:
Download of torrent stream, upload of a large file to OneDrive and watching different streams on Roku and Xbox of Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ and playing RDR2 online. Cake handled all that without any issues.

I had some time to test the Cake implementation, everything seems to work as expected on my Comcast connection with 200/12Mbit. I tested the following scenario:
Download of torrent stream, upload of a large file to OneDrive and watching different streams on Roku and Xbox of Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ and playing RDR2 online. Cake handled all that without any issues.
Any tweaks done? or is that default config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!