What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
on my RT-AX88U, i updated left the house for a bit, and i had to do a factory reset. It all seems to be working now. Just need to get ipv6 back up again. To be honest i haven't done a factory reset for a very very very long time.

Edit

Okay so i went back to beta 1 and turned ipv6 back on and it works fine. So there is something wrong with the ipv6 code in beta2. For now i am on beta1 which is working just fine.

Last edited:
This is what I get with dslreports, not a good representation of real world bufferbloat in my opinion.

dslreports.jpg

ADSL 2+ 12/1

So, just rolled out the Beta 2 and I can't seem to connect to 2.4GHz wifi at all. All my Nest/TP-Link Kasa/IOT devices are off-line. 5GHz seems fine. Will roll one back and see.

EDIT: So, rolled back my APs one by one to Beta 1 but still did not alleviate the 2.4GHz issues. Rolled my main router back to Beta 1 and that did the trick. Very strange. I'll try again tonight when there's less family interruption. Thought I could squeeze this one in without them noticing. Doh. Nothing fancy here, only making use of DNSFilter at the router level. APs pretty much vanilla setups. Router running DHCP, Pi-hole's handling DNS.
i put beta2 on my router and could only get everything to work when i turned ipv6 off. I rolled back to beta1, and eveyrthing is working including ipv6.

on my RT-AX88U, i updated left the house for a bit, and i had to do a factory reset. It all seems to be working now. Just need to get ipv6 back up again. To be honest i haven't done a factory reset for a very very very long time.

Edit

Okay so i went back to beta 1 and turned ipv6 back on and it works fine. So there is something wrong with the ipv6 code in beta2. For now i am on beta1 which is working just fine.
I too have IPv6 enabled on my AX88U router and had to go back after my IOT devices were not able to connect. I'm going to upgrade just the APs later and see if that's fine, leaving the router at Beta 1.

* Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server.

Any one else getting that after updating, I dont seem to be able to get the system time correct?

Hey what speedtest is this??

Thank you.

Funny, I consistently get what seem like accurate bufferbloat measurements from dslreports, so had no reason to question it.

The Waveform test does look pretty neat though.

With cake enabled, on my VDSL 30/9 Mbps connection I get a nice rock solid A+ on both dslreports and Waveform with limits set to 28/8.2 Mbps.

Waveform reports +1ms bloat on download and +3ms on upload on an unloaded latency of 9ms.

i put beta2 on my router and could only get everything to work when i turned ipv6 off. I rolled back to beta1, and eveyrthing is working including ipv6.
Well, I updated just my APs to Beta 2 first, and all was fine. All devices re-connected, including all IOT/Cameras/TP-LInk etc... on my 2.4GHz networks. As soon as I updated the router, they all dropped off. Disabling IPv6 on the Router cleared that issue. The only reason I have IPv6 enabled is for the Rogers Ignite IPTV, but that all seems to be working fine with it disabled oddly enough. I'll keep the Router on Beta 2 and IPv6 disabled for now and see how it holds up or if anything else with my IPTV shakes out.

Well, I updated just my APs to Beta 2 first, and all was fine. All devices re-connected, including all IOT/Cameras/TP-LInk etc... on my 2.4GHz networks. As soon as I updated the router, they all dropped off. Disabling IPv6 on the Router cleared that issue. The only reason I have IPv6 enabled is for the Rogers Ignite IPTV, but that all seems to be working fine with it disabled oddly enough. I'll keep the Router on Beta 2 and IPv6 disabled for now and see how it holds up or if anything else with my IPTV shakes out.
Okay seems that there really is some ipv6 issue. I decided to just stay on beta1 for now.

That’s very odd since not much changed between beta1 and beta2, especially around IPv6. Do you have DNSFilter enabled? There were some minor changes there.

That’s very odd since not much changed between beta1 and beta2, especially around IPv6. Do you have DNSFilter enabled? There were some minor changes there.
Yes, I use DNSFilter in "Router" mode to send all DNS traffic to my Pi-holes.

EDIT: So far, only @vdemarco and I seem to have seen this behaviour. We both have AX88U's as our Router. Not sure if that's of any assistance.

Last edited:
Updated to RT-AX86U_386.2_beta2_ over 6 hours ago. IPv6 enabled and no issues on a 2x RT-AX86U wired AiMesh setup here.

I don't know if you saw @Vergo 's comment here: https://www.snbforums.com/goto/post?id=674269 , but the comment of interest was:

So if your new approach doesn't work, perhaps something similar could? (It was a setting that I initially didn't use for vnStat-on-Merlin, because I wasn't clear on what it did, but it may help control those false spikes).
Using a sanity check to discard any unusually high value does not resolve the problem, it merely hides it. And instead of having spikes of high data, you will have "brown outs" with zero data. That's not a real solution.
But I understand why you would choose diffserv3, a lot of people work from home now and use zoom/teams.

My primary reason for using it is VoIP. At least both my IP phone and my ATA do properly set the DSCP flag, so that means it will help prioritizing VoIP (at least the outbound, which is generally where you are bandwidth-starved) without requiring any special configuration.

So, just rolled out the Beta 2 and I can't seem to connect to 2.4GHz wifi at all. All my Nest/TP-Link Kasa/IOT devices are off-line. 5GHz seems fine. Will roll one back and see.
Zero change to wifi or even the SDK between Beta 1 and Beta 2. Power cycle your router as well as your client devices.

Merlin: I've seen you state that you can't test Cake. I believe you can by simply setting the upload and download limit to something the processor can handle, for example 200Mb.
That would not be a valid test, because then I would not saturate by ISP's link. That means my modem's buffers for instance would never get filled, as the modem would then be able to send data faster than what the router behind it is set to.

Last edited:
So there is something wrong with the ipv6 code in beta2.
No change at all to the IPv6 code between beta 1 and 2. In fact, the only change that touches the WAN interface code in beta 2 is that I reverted Asus's change that was applying static routes for DNS servers, and those were for IPv4.

You will have to look at the system log to determine what is failing exactly.

GT-AX11000 owner here with 1 Gig fiber. Had no issues with beta 1. I have around 50 clients and everything has been smooth. Installing Beta 2 now. Let me know if you want me to test any specific features or add ons?
20-March-2021: Beta 2 is now available. Changes since Beta 1:

Code:
1cf08f7d10 Updated documentation
86aae14fcb httpd: fix ouiDB.json location for browser caching
c402f3c108 tools: exclude web files that cause the optimizing tool to crash and leave temp files in the /www directory
bf6559ab5f shared: match with rx/tx var types for backup_rx/backup_tx in netdev_calc()
fe677008a5 webui: remove OpenVPN server Windows FAQ as it's missing from the Asus website
d57130c437 webui: store local copies of online json files; add code to refresh them
0d62444ab8 httpd: fix openvpn/pptpd account list getting truncated after one entry
1e6831e65a rc: make qos-start run in blocking mode
3b449faf84 rc: revert static DNS routes added with GPL 42095
9311e1661b webui: QoS Classification page: add warning in Cake mode; harmonise qos type handling with nvram value
592448890b rc: rewritten dnsfilter server table management
7577702a81 rc: fix pointer corruption in filter_setting()
4ffb00efed Merge branch 'master' of github.com:RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng
c5087ce589 Merge pull request #718 from sadoneli/master
1788f2ea14 add .dummy file for wlcsm to make sure GT-AX11000 passing fw build
7d85c4c849 Bumped revision to beta 2

I'm looking for more feedback from RT-AX68U and GT-AX11000 owners.

I also implemented a potential fix for the rstats traffic spikes. I have no way of testing it, so I have no idea if it resolved that particular issue or not - feedback from users who are able to reproduce the problem would be appreciated.

I make extensive use of IPv6 and have not noticed any negative impact on my Comcast connection using Native IPv6. For what that is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!