What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a Merlin firmware issue. It would help if you added your specific router to a signature ... I had to dig through your past posts to see what router was causing the problem. The RT-AC88U certainly had a few early firmware issues with beta 1 - but as far as I can tell these were sorted in beta 2 released a few days ago.

I assume you have applied beta 2??
Search results on AC88U here ...
https://www.snbforums.com/search/155459/?q=ac88u&t=post&c[thread]=71038&o=date
Thank you for the signature suggestion, done!

Initially it appeared that beta 2 resolved my guest network connectivity issues but my work laptop now establishes connection but without internet access. Others are mentioning dropouts on their guest networks also and I'm following carefully for clues.

I usually use QOS in my router, even though I get 450mbps...not necessary, but nice insurance. The router did not like it.
As stated, I thought it was QOS. Not so, it appears. With QOS, it dropped connections for about 90 seconds every 1.5-2.5 hours. So, I turned it off.
Now, I'm dropping every 2-4 hours. The log message (which I don't understand!) is:

Mar 24 09:44:09 kernel: device br0 entered promiscuous mode

Then these:
Mar 24 09:44:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[18739]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0)...
Mar 24 09:44:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[18739]: DHCPOFFER(br0)...
Mar 24 09:44:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[18739]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)...
Mar 24 09:44:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[18739]: DHCPACK(br0)...
All to the same MAC/DHCP address.
Then:
Mar 24 09:44:18 kernel: device br0 left promiscuous mode

After that, normal ops for another 2-4 hours on the LAN?

@RMerlin I connected my laptop to AX-88U on 386.2_beta2 successfully using ASUS instruction to inject DisableIKENameEkuCheck registry key. But there is no status shown on both IPSec and VPN Status pages. Also, my laptop ignored the IP range I set on the router and instead went on with the default 10.10.10.1 . Can you look into this?

One more thing, can you change how the server certificate for IKEv2 is generated to include EKU field and correct subject name; or maybe just use Let's Encrypt certificate? Right now, subject name is set to "ASUS ARDEN-AX88U Root CA" instead of my router's DDNS... Very annoying :)

Thank you for the signature suggestion, done!

Initially it appeared that beta 2 resolved my guest network connectivity issues but my work laptop now establishes connection but without internet access. Others are mentioning dropouts on their guest networks also and I'm following carefully for clues.
If you not using AiMesh - then suggest you use Guest #2 rather than Guest #1.
If you want proper separation between Guest WiFi and your intranet - then use YazFi to get the job done easily and properly :).
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yazfi-v4-x.70308/

All ok for me. However, I've been puzzled for a while about why ASUS has not been releasing 42095 firmware updates for more routers
Staggered releases. They can't test 30+ models all at once, so models are updated a few at a times, based on their testing schedule and other development plans.

I think this may be the first time I've seen where your firmware may contain a newer GPL than a stock firmware for many routers. It looks to me that ASUS is taking greater steps to help you which is great, and I know that ASUS has a long verification period for their own firmwares, but still a fascinating situation.
Ain't the first time, it happened quite a few times over the years. For instance for a few months, my firmware was supporting the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 with 384_xxxxx code while Asus were still on 382 for these models.

We've come to an agreement that from now on whenever possible they would do their best to provide me with GPLs for all supported models at the same time (provided they are working properly, sometimes a few specific models have issues that require more work). This has been the case since the move to 386.

Can you look into this?
Already fixed, check a few posts back.

One more thing, can you change how the server certificate for IKEv2 is generated to include EKU field and correct subject name; or maybe just use Let's Encrypt certificate? Right now, subject name is set to "ASUS ARDEN-AX88U Root CA" instead of my router's DDNS... Very annoying :)
I have no plans to make any change to the IPSEC implementation, sorry. Don't have the time to study and maintain two separate VPN implementations, so my focus is strictly on OpenVPN. Any change to IPSEC will have to be done by Asus.

@RMerlin do I understand correctly that you have an RT-AX68U for testing? I just received a used one from Amazon Warehouse. I've installed beta 2, but I'm unable to perform a hard reset (power on while holding WPS button). It WILL reset via holding down the reset button while powered on. This router had issues out of the box, I had to put the router in rescue mode and use the Asus restoration tool to be able to connect to it. After that, I flashed beta 2, and while everything else seems fine, I can't do a full reset. I'm just not sure if perhaps the reset method is listed on Asus's site is in error (being a new model), if it's an issue with this specific router (being a return), or possibly a firmware issue. If you have one, have you performed a hard reset on it?

@RMerlin do I understand correctly that you have an RT-AX68U for testing? I just received a used one from Amazon Warehouse. I've installed beta 2, but I'm unable to perform a hard reset (power on while holding WPS button). It WILL reset via holding down the reset button while powered on. This router had issues out of the box, I had to put the router in rescue mode and use the Asus restoration tool to be able to connect to it. After that, I flashed beta 2, and while everything else seems fine, I can't do a full reset. I'm just not sure if perhaps the reset method is listed on Asus's site is in error (being a new model), if it's an issue with this specific router (being a return), or possibly a firmware issue. If you have one, have you performed a hard reset on it?
The WPS reset does not work for me either. Since that part is handled by the bootloader and not the firmware, that would be a bug in the bootloader itself.

The WPS reset does not work for me either. Since that part is handled by the bootloader and not the firmware, that would be a bug in the bootloader itself.
Perfect, thanks for checking! I wasn't sure whether or not this could be firmware related, but figured best to ask.

Currently in 386.2 beta 2. In the AP mode, my RT-AX88U does not allow port change for HTTPS access, only for HTTP one. The HTTP port can be changed from 80 to a different number. Whereas, the HTTPS port stays at 8443, no matter what the local access choice is (HTTP, HTTPS or both).

I tried the AP mode with another RT-AX88U but experiencing the same.

This is not the case if switching to Router mode. Not sure if this is for a reason or if it is a bug.

Thank you go looking into it.

AC86U main/AP combo running beta 2 working fine at two locations, but as usual, I'm utilizing a fairly minimal set of features.

Just out of curious, does firmware update from Asus contain bootloader update as well?

Just out of curious, does firmware update from Asus contain bootloader update as well?
Some models like the RT-AC68U may include bootloader updates. No idea about HND models.

but RT-AC68U is HND model too, isn't it?

sorry, my mistake, i confused

That is strange - I have lost visibility of user add-on pages from the WebUI after router reboot (I did also upgrade entware). They are still there via url, just not accessible from the main menu.
Only user1.asp is in addon section. 2-6 disappeared including firewall, ntp, spd, unbound. Any suggestions? Add-on reinstalls, web service reboot appear to make no difference

That is strange - I have lost visibility of user add-on pages from the WebUI after router reboot (I did also upgrade entware). They are still there via url, just not accessible from the main menu.
Only user1.asp is in addon section. 2-6 disappeared including firewall, ntp, spd, unbound. Any suggestions? Add-on reinstalls, web service reboot appear to make no difference

You should probably have this moved to the add-ons subforum as this is not likely to be related to this beta.

You should probably have this moved to the add-ons subforum as this is not likely to be related to this beta.
Thanks for pointing that out - any suggestion for better specific thread or should I open new one?
As you said it may not be beta2 to related, but for instance entware upgrade related, so I might be barking at the wrong tree.
The reason I posted here is that I am running on beta2 and while I have seen userX.asp mounts disappearing before add-on reinstall always used to help me .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!