What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.2 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anyone get this kernal panic? Every time I click Adaptor QoS, I got
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
pgd = 80004000
[00000000] *pgd=00000000
Internal error: Oops: 17 [#1] PREEMPT SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/class/net/vlan1/brport/port_no
CPU: 0 Tainted: P (2.6.36.4brcmarm #1)
PC is at set_skb_tuples+0x354/0x438 [tdts_udbfw]
LR is at set_skb_tuples+0x304/0x438 [tdts_udbfw]
pc : [<7f1ecd6c>] lr : [<7f1ecd1c>] psr: 20000113
sp : 8042bb20 ip : 00000000 fp : 8042bb58
r10: 8042bb5e r9 : 9e2dc270 r8 : 8042bb6e
r7 : 00000004 r6 : 9e2dc1e0 r5 : 9e98c000 r4 : 8042bb58
r3 : 00000051 r2 : 00000000 r1 : 0000dd5d r0 : 00000000
Flags: nzCv IRQs on FIQs on Mode SVC_32 ISA ARM Segment kernel
Control: 10c53c7d Table: 579b004a DAC: 00000017

and them

Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
[<8005727c>] (unwind_backtrace+0x0/0xf8) from [<80321dc0>] (panic+0x74/0x1a0)
[<80321dc0>] (panic+0x74/0x1a0) from [<80054958>] (die+0x1ac/0x1dc)
[<80054958>] (die+0x1ac/0x1dc) from [<8005870c>] (__do_kernel_fault+0x64/0x84)
[<8005870c>] (__do_kernel_fault+0x64/0x84) from [<8005887c>] (do_page_fault+0x150/0x1ec)
[<8005887c>] (do_page_fault+0x150/0x1ec) from [<800503a4>] (do_DataAbort+0x30/0x9c)
[<800503a4>] (do_DataAbort+0x30/0x9c) from [<803e9eec>] (__dabt_svc+0x4c/0x60)
Exception stack(0x8042bad8 to 0x8042bb20)
bac0: 00000000 0000dd5d
bae0: 00000000 00000051 8042bb58 9e98c000 9e2dc1e0 00000004 8042bb6e 9e2dc270
bb00: 8042bb5e 8042bb58 00000000 8042bb20 7f1ecd1c 7f1ecd6c 20000113 ffffffff
[<803e9eec>] (__dabt_svc+0x4c/0x60) from [<7f1ecd6c>] (set_skb_tuples+0x354/0x438 [tdts_udbfw])
[<7f1ecd6c>] (set_skb_tuples+0x354/0x438 [tdts_udbfw]) from [<7f1ed0b0>] (hookfn_common.clone.7+0x260/0x69c [tdts_udbfw])
[<7f1ed0b0>] (hookfn_common.clone.7+0x260/0x69c [tdts_udbfw]) from [<803df820>] (nf_iterate+0x94/0xb

There are a lot of message in the log, I only show part of it. Entire debug log is attached.

My router is RT-AC5300. This kernal panic happened in last version too but in last version I did not get all the debug detail. It only showed "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000" in last version so I did not report it.

As long as I don't access Adaptor QoS page, the router is working fine.

Any suggestion to avoid this?
Thanks

Attachments

• kernal-panic.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 84
Dirty upgraded from 386.1_2. No issues so far. Thanks, Merlin!

I can confirm that I see exactly the same behavior in my RT-AX88U running FW 386.2. Anyway, the search bar still works as a search bar, so it is only a "cosmetic" issue with the text inside.
This looks to be an array index off-by-one bug in client.asp, so I expect it would show up in stock Asus firmware based on 386.42095. Ah, look....

I am on stock FW (3.0.0.4.386_42095) and this happens, so not Merlin specific.
It looks like it should be a simple fix.

Here are the only log items reported after update with 'notice' set as log level:
Apr 2 18:18:09 kernel: gro disabled
Apr 2 18:18:13 avahi-daemon[1801]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Apr 2 18:18:16 lld2d[941]: packetio_recv_handler: mis-matched sequence number: got 1, expecting 6; ignoring
Apr 2 18:18:26 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 f45bb18
Apr 2 18:18:26 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Apr 2 18:18:26 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Apr 2 18:18:29 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3363] qos_ops is not registered!
Apr 2 18:18:29 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Apr 2 18:18:40 crond[831]: time disparity of 1531753 minutes detected

None of these seem to be causing problems, but the time disparity is one I don't understand. The router time settings follow...

On the Admin/System page:
Enable local NTP server set to 'No"
DST dialog set correctly
pool.ntp.org Primary
time.nist.gov Secondary

I tried finding answers, but not a lot of help was available. Should these parameters be correcting the time disparity? Otherwise, is this a significant error? If so, what's the fix?
Thanks in advance!

Every device has it's own factory time and date, which is hardcoded and shown in your logfile before actual time is synced. In my case it's May 5 7:00:00 at boot, for both routers in my signature. When crond is started and your routers' system time is synced with NTP, crond just reports that it has detected a time disparity. After syncing, all is fine and it will act according to actual time.

Here are the only log items reported after update with 'notice' set as log level:
~

None of these seem to be causing problems, but the time disparity is one I don't understand. The router time settings follow...

On the Admin/System page:
Enable local NTP server set to 'No"
DST dialog set correctly
pool.ntp.org Primary
time.nist.gov Secondary

I tried finding answers, but not a lot of help was available. Should these parameters be correcting the time disparity? Otherwise, is this a significant error? If so, what's the fix?
Thanks in advance!
Just out of curiousity what year do you see when you go to:

Advanced Settings>>System Log>>General Log>>System Info>>System Time

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity what year do you see when you go to:

Advanced Settings>>System Log>>General Log>>System Info>>System Time
Tue, Apr 06 14:07:56 2021
* Daylight savings time is enabled in this time zone.
So, the time is correct and the log entry is not pertinent...Got it!

Every device has it's own factory time and date, which is hardcoded and shown in your logfile before actual time is synced. In my case it's May 5 7:00:00 at boot, for both routers in my signature. When crond is started and your routers' system time is synced with NTP, crond just reports that it has detected a time disparity. After syncing, all is fine and it will act according to actual time.
Thanks to all! That makes sense...

Tue, Apr 06 14:07:56 2021
* Daylight savings time is enabled in this time zone.
So, the time is correct and the log entry is not pertinent...Got it!
A "time disparity of 1531753 minutes" equals 1063 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes, which is slightly less than 3 years. Typical default/starting clock time set by manufacturer has been reported by most either May 04, or May 05 of a given year. So yours must be in 2018.

As the months and years go on, and as you reboot/restart you will see a increasing time disparity reported by crond when your system clock syncs to the current date.

Hi folks,
First, a HUGE thanks to everyone who is helping to develop and support this ASUS-Merlin firmware. I've been running it for several years now without any problems and I love it. I recently upgraded from 384.19 to 386.2 and I'm seeing some slowness on my RT-AC5300. I wish I could be more specific, but my entire family is now experiencing general slowness with streaming media and remote school/work virtual meetings. I have experienced it myself on Webex with both the video and audio streams. With 384.19 we were able to run 4 people all in separate virtual meetings without any hiccup, but ever since the firmware update to 386.2 over the weekend it's become noticeably slower and jumpy. I just did a speed test while other folks were doing remote meetings and I got 70Mbps down + 45Mbps up through the router and over my cheap Verizon FIOS connection (100+100), so I don't think it's a Verizon issue.

Regarding my configuration, I am not using any Wifi mesh, all my devices connect directly to my single RT-AC5300 router. I am running a guest network on 2.4GHz channel 1 and I'm using YazFi to run 2 VPNs that are linked to "5GHz-2" SSID channels 1 & 2. I updated YazFi to the latest version 4.2.0 just to be safe but didn't see any improvement in the slowness that we're experiencing on the non-VPN wifi channels. I also tried experimenting a little bit with the Adaptive QoS settings but haven't noticed any obvious improvements. Perhaps I should try Cake...

Still, I can't help but feel that something changed from 384.19 to cause this slowness and that better QoS may only be a band-aid on the actual problem. I'm happy to provide more info if folks have suggestions for what would helpful to further debug the possible cause(s). I'm new to this forum so I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I can post a System Log if folks can tell me the best place to put it so I don't clog up this forum. I don't see any obvious errors, but I'm not good at reading those logs. Thanks very much.

I've found an issue with parental control - it blocks access (sometimes fully, sometimes wifi shows question mark, but some apps still work) outside of blocking hours.

Migrated yesterday from 386.2 with full reset and manual config. Time zone is configured properly and system is showing the correct time.

I've found an issue with parental control - it blocks access (sometimes fully, sometimes wifi shows question mark, but some apps still work) outside of blocking hours.

Migrated yesterday from 386.2 with full reset and manual config. Time zone is configured properly and system is showing the correct time.

Can you provide an example of what you set and which app so we can test it?

Hello,

I am using guest network #1 (2.4Ghz, without AiMesh) and I am experiencing a problem with disabling intranet access.
Just after a reboot it is possible to reach a guest network device from the main LAN. Before to do this you needed YazFI.
Also the devices in the guest network do not see each other anymore (as if the AP in isolated mode).

Then if I make a setting change in another section, for example in the Wifi settings, just after the application of the settings, it is no longer possible to join the devices of the guest network (as it should be the case just after a reboot when the intranet access is disabled).

Do you reproduce this malfunction on your side?

If I put the devices on the guest network n°2 will I solve this problem (no, I don't test anymore. I ask your opinion first. My router is stable after long hours of fine configuration and X hard reset)?

Also, is it possible to have an option in the guest network menus to voluntarily activate the one way LAN -> guest network access (without having to install YazFi, which I find, causes side effects)?

Thank you.

A dirty upgrade from 386.1_2 yesterday.
No issues or problems at all.
Thanks again Merlin!

Yay, another wonderful release! Dirty upgrade from beta 3 to 386.2 final, with no issues at all. I've let both router and AiMesh Node settle for 10-15 minutes, did a power cycle and started everything back up. Everything works flawlessly, not in a single error in syslog.

Thanks for your continuous efforts, Eric and to the others involved in providing these great updates voluntarily time after time again. Thank you so much, your efforts are much appreciated.
Did you first upgrade the node first and then the router? Did you use the upgrade from within the admin UI where it checks for the upgrade, downloads it, and then applies it to the device?

Did you first upgrade the node first and then the router? Did you use the upgrade from within the admin UI where it checks for the upgrade, downloads it, and then applies it to the device?
1. Yes
2. No (I downloaded the firmware files separately. because I always like to have a copy on my ssd for easy rollback and prefer to check the SHA256 hash manually.

Hi @RMerlin - I just tried to turn off download shaping in Cake by setting the bandwidth value to zero ( 0 ). Unfortunately the field validation doesn't allow this despite the error message saying that 0 is a valid entry.
Bug in the validator method - fixed.

AX86U flashed dirty and also tried clean flash and for some reason FTP with tls enabled via wan just doesn't work. I enter correct credentials and it doesn't open. Disabling tls works fine. Lan works fine also. Seen this is an issue from the past. Any fix available?
Works for me on my RT-AX86U. What does the log tell you when you try to connect?

Hi folks,
First, a HUGE thanks to everyone who is helping to develop and support this ASUS-Merlin firmware. I've been running it for several years now without any problems and I love it. I recently upgraded from 384.19 to 386.2 and I'm seeing some slowness on my RT-AC5300. I wish I could be more specific, but my entire family is now experiencing general slowness with streaming media and remote school/work virtual meetings. I have experienced it myself on Webex with both the video and audio streams. With 384.19 we were able to run 4 people all in separate virtual meetings without any hiccup, but ever since the firmware update to 386.2 over the weekend it's become noticeably slower and jumpy. I just did a speed test while other folks were doing remote meetings and I got 70Mbps down + 45Mbps up through the router and over my cheap Verizon FIOS connection (100+100), so I don't think it's a Verizon issue.

Regarding my configuration, I am not using any Wifi mesh, all my devices connect directly to my single RT-AC5300 router. I am running a guest network on 2.4GHz channel 1 and I'm using YazFi to run 2 VPNs that are linked to "5GHz-2" SSID channels 1 & 2. I updated YazFi to the latest version 4.2.0 just to be safe but didn't see any improvement in the slowness that we're experiencing on the non-VPN wifi channels. I also tried experimenting a little bit with the Adaptive QoS settings but haven't noticed any obvious improvements. Perhaps I should try Cake...

Still, I can't help but feel that something changed from 384.19 to cause this slowness and that better QoS may only be a band-aid on the actual problem. I'm happy to provide more info if folks have suggestions for what would helpful to further debug the possible cause(s). I'm new to this forum so I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I can post a System Log if folks can tell me the best place to put it so I don't clog up this forum. I don't see any obvious errors, but I'm not good at reading those logs. Thanks very much.
As I have two perfectly running AC5300's I assume it is somehow in your configuration. Have you done a full reset on the AC5300 (NVRAM erase, JFFS format etc etc)? User L&LD has made a nice write-up how to do it properly (https://www.snbforums.com/members/l-ld.24423/#about) and do not restore any configuration). Follow his instructions/procedures (at least the nuclear reset, NVRAM erase and M&M configuration steps). Take some time for it and add one by one the typical configurations that you want and evaluate. Leave QoS out of the equation. Run 2.4Ghz Guests on the second instance. (there are some known issues with the first one (the most left in the guest wifi configuration screen).

Last but not least: if you have apple devices: reset network settings on the apple devices and make a new connection once the router is fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!