What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I haven't had any issues yet with ipv6 and RMerlin beta 2. Everything seems to be working completely as well. I believe the "second ipv6" webui page you are referring to im a previous post is for dual wan setups, are you running an ipv6 dual wan?
Thanks for the response - not using dual WAN and it is clear that the scMerlin add-on does not modify any web pages included with the firmware - it simply lists them. In my efforts to test I used the default page made available in the beta2 code - then when that did not work - tried the second one revealed by Jacks scMerlin addon - and I'm sure you are correct in that the second page would be there for dual WAN :).

The problems may well be specific to the RT-AX86U [not sure what Router you have] - as at least 2 other members have reported the same issues. NB - these "issues" have arisen straight after full factory resets and without uploading any stored settings. Dirty upgrade may well retain the existing IPv6 settings? Merlin's work-around will fix the issue when compiled into his next beta release.

FWIW all the code is doing is reading Asus' own tab/page array and generating some shortcuts, so the pages are all there, albeit some are part of an in-tab switch, like the Traffic Monitoring area.
Yes, but the fact it exposes two different pages means it's also exposing a page that isn`t supposed to be visible.

I can't add new AiMesh node after installing 486.4 beta using two RT-AX86U.
No matter I do router don't see any newly setup nodes.

Was running latest ASUS firmware FW_RT_AX86U_300438645934 on boith main router and node without any issues.

Upgraded to 386.4 beta and made reset in GUI. Then set up main router again without any issues.
Put AX86U mesh router 2-3 m from main router this has always worked before.

First tried reset button of and setup as new node (AX86U node still running FW_RT_AX86U_300438645934): not working Main Router could not find any AiMesh nodes.
Also tried on AiMesh node router: hard reset, Merlin 386.3-2, 386.4 beta soft and hard reset: Main Router could not find any AI mesh node.
Tried for hours no luck.

Gave up and put back FW_RT_AX86U_300438645934 on main router and restored saved setting.
Also put back FW_RT_AX86U_300438645934 on node router and made reset and setup as new node. No problem for main router to find the new AiMesh node again!

Something wrong with 386.4 beta?
Or am i missing something?
If I remember correctly I only made "full" GUI reset of main router Not hard reset after installing 386.4 beta..
Will try again making hard reset of main router when final 384.4 released.

I have replicated this precise issue - also had to revert to stock firmware as I have no way back to beta2 if I want to reinstate AiMesh.
NB - this is closed source stuff - not something that Merlin can fix - the issue is within the GPL supplied to him.

If you can't get it working with wifi try to use ethernet cable. Should working just fine.
Did not work for me - even with cable attached. NB AiMesh is closed source - so nothing Merlin can do.

Upgraded to beta 2 earlier today and everything is working as expected including IPv6 (on Comcast).

Open nat dont work on asus RT-AC5300 right now

Did not work for me - even with cable attached. NB AiMesh is closed source - so nothing Merlin can do.
Did you reset nod before you try to add it.

Strange, i have done it lately with cable and working just fine.
The trick is to do factory reset after applying beta2 - and rebuild from scratch - no restores ... that's when it seems impossible to create a link to an AiMesh node. See my earlier post - but don't try it unless you happy to be stuck like me back on stock firmware :(!

The trick is to do factory reset after applying beta2 - and rebuild from scratch - no restores ... that's when it seems impossible to create a link to an AiMesh node. See my earlier post - but don't try it unless you happy to be stuck like me back on stock firmware :(!
I not needed to factory reset main router only node. But I didn't success add with wifi even when WPS was manually turned on.

But I remember having problem with ssid "ASUS" trouble to get right one from main router.

Last edited:
wg-quick

That's a bash script, which means it's highly likely not to work properly with the router's dash. Asus does not include it in the firmware, so it must be totally optional.
WireGuard Peers use a .conf file to define interface configuration parameters, such as mtu, firewall rules, routes, fwmarks etc.

For the v386 RC-3 Beta, ASUS have decided to bastardise their implementation by forcing the manual transcribing of some of the critical.conf directives into NVRAM wgc* variables via their GUI, thereby eliminating any cross-platform portability of WireGuard Peer configurations say between RPi to router etc.

N.B. Users are free to install BASH from Entware, and with a bit of tweaking of wg-quick, allow users to follow any of the WireGuard tutorials/examples for basic implementation of WireGuard interfaces on ASUS compatible routers.

it seems impossible to create a link to an AiMesh node.

Yes, AiMesh failed to add node in combinations with AC68U, AC1900P, AC86U and AX58U. Stock Asuswrt has no issues. Something is wrong here.

On beta 1 I worked to get my AC66U_B1 to be a mesh node. I tried many times with stock firmware current then back a couple of releases of stock. Finally connected the node, upgraded the stock then flashed the beta1.
Sometimes nodes are stubborn but once connected they work well. I suspect neighborhood WIFI does cause issues...

AiMesh is a hit and miss. I managed to connect AC86U to AX58U, but it was a fight. No luck with AC68U. This is not how it should work. Also getting Wi-Fi stutters on AC86U. Reversing the routers to stock Asuswrt and will test again the final release when I have the time.

Dirty upgrade on gt-ax11000, connection WiFi fails I cannot connect snymore trough WiFi. The upgrade did go fine, I cannot connect to the gui over lan, WiFi does broadcast but many of my devices cannot connect anymore.

beta 1 worked perfectly tough.Any ideas?

after a reflash WiFi works and can connect but the 2.5 Gb port seems not to work properly anymore and slower speeds on the 5ghz connections, about 25% lower.

@merlin what did changed between beta 1 and 2 in relation to the 2.5 Gb port this seems to be the problem in beta 2.

After flashing again and some further testing somehow the switchport on witch the ax11000 is connected got messed up. After rebooting it does seem to work as intended.

Bug on 2.5 GBe port does not seem to be there it seems, be carefull to flash over wifi tough, because somehow it does not always seem to go well.

Last edited:
i find it amusing that people clammer for a new update for 6 months, then when one comes out, there are many who either are gonna "hold off" or others that insist to the 1 developer working on it , who has been for years and knows these things like the back of his hand, that there must be something wrong with his source or report some strange problem and dismiss his replies that it must be their setup or they look through the logs and see things that they think are errors because they have no idea what they actually mean. Logs are there to check IF you have problems. not to find new ones...

c'mon guys. be greatful and give the one dude who knows this stuff besides asus employees the benefit of the doubt sometimes or you might be regretting it when they don't feel like doing it anymore

@merlin what did changed between beta 1 and 2?
He posted what changed between Beta 1 and Beta 2 earlier in the thread...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ta-is-now-available.76258/page-12#post-730866
Edit to add: And he posted the changes in the very first post of the thread...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-386-4-beta-is-now-available.76258/
Eddit to add: And from the Asus-Merlin read me file:
If you run into any issue after an upgrade and you haven't done so,
try doing a factory default reset as well.

Last edited:
i find it amusing that people clammer for a new update for 6 months, then when one comes out, there are many who either are gonna "hold off" or others that insist to the 1 developer working on it , who has been for years and knows these things like the back of his hand, that there must be something wrong with his source or report some strange problem and dismiss his replies that it must be their setup or they look through the logs and see things that they think are errors because they have no idea what they actually mean. Logs are there to check IF you have problems. not to find new ones...

c'mon guys. be greatful and give the one dude who knows this stuff besides asus employees the benefit of the doubt sometimes or you might be regretting it when they don't feel like doing it anymore
Do you know what beta test cycle means? In my world, it means finding any errors or checking that previously found errors are fixed.
Any new bugs reported let them be sorted by the developer either rejected as "PEBCAC" or any new ones found to be fixed.

c'mon guys.

I have spend few hour resetting and flashing different routers. None of them is part of my network and downtime doesn’t matter. Most folks actually use the routers and if the WAN is not connecting or AiMesh is not working they have no other option, but downgrade or go back to stock. I can’t blame anyone for giving up and I don’t want to offend the developers. I just report my experience so far, so people with more knowledge take a look. This is all I can help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!