What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes...I discovered the same issue during the betas....I had to change the DNS Configuration to EXCLUSIVE, with WAN set to automatic DNS Servers. This will pull the DNS from your VPN Provider only and resolved my DNS leak (with Surfshark)...You're right this wasn't necessary with 386.3_2.
Thanks BlackIce! This settings to Exclusive really solved the DNS leak, just wondering, this should be fixed or this should be the way it has to be for now on?

Known issues:

• Internet reported as disconnected
    Your Internet monitoring configuration is most likely incorrect. Reset it to its default settings by running these over SSH:

Code:
    nvram set dns_probe_content="131.107.255.255 112.4.20.71 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1"
    nvram set dns_probe_host="dns.msftncsi.com"
    nvram commit
Hi RMerlin
sorry for dump question i'm not good for computer, how can i Reset it to its default settings by running these over SSH? how i write this code?
Thank you much

Hi RMerlin
sorry for dump question i'm not good for computer, how can i Reset it to its default settings by running these over SSH? how i write this code?
Thank you much
Enable SSH on the router, connect to the router over SSH by using an SSH client like Putty, then just copy/paste the three commands.

Hi I just found another bug (RT-AX86U), after doing a factory reset after the update (386.4_0), I was unable to find a Mesh Node to add, that was really close. So I went back to previous version to add the node, and then update again, because I tried like 10 time without any success, but after going back to 386.3_2, I was able to find the node in less than 5 seconds.

One thing I do not understand is why the router becomes locked and firewall restarted when I disable Time Scheduling?
Jan 3 21:55:12 kernel: httpd (1807): drop_caches: 1
Jan 3 21:56:05 rc_service: httpd 1807:notify_rc restart_firewall
Jan 3 21:56:05 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart firewall)
Jan 3 21:56:06 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)

All other setting under Parental Controls are OFF.
It actually happened to me once when I only switched tabs in router Web GUI.

Searched for RT-AC1900 reports in this failed without matches, so will add mine.

Router: RT-AC1900 (root node for AiMesh, other nodes are RT-AX58U and RT-AC66U B1, each running Asus stock firmware)
Current firmware: 386.3_2 release for RT-AC68U (as directed from AC1900 download page)

I tried a fast-and-dirty update four times without success before removing my USB drives and trying again. After a lengthy update and reboot wait, everything reappeared and AC1900 now showed 386.4.

After removing my USB drives, upgrading and rebooting, the USB drive I used as NAS changed from sdb1 to sda1, so I'm stumbling through updating the handful of network references made by other devices.

In case I need to do this again in the future, any special way I can remove my router's two USB drives for an upgrade and avoid the risk of their disk labels changing? Is it a matter of restarting after upgrade with the existing sda1 plugged in first and then rebooting a second time with sdb1 connected?

Last edited:
hi everyone, why the speedtest results so different from the router directly and app? (AC68U)

Attachments

• AC68speedtest2.png
    AC68speedtest2.png
    377.9 KB · Views: 151
  • AC68speedtest.png
    AC68speedtest.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 140
Interesting. I observed some stability issues with all my Nest Cameras (2.4Ghz). Following the upgrade, they would disconnect and reconnect regularly. Were not able to keep a steady feed. Rolled back to previous release and stability returned. Did not have time to triage much. I plan on re-attempt again later this week when there's time and doing a full reset and reconfigure. But I also observed the P status flag on the 2.4Ghz cams that were going in and out.
Same behaviour for one of my indoor Nest Cams (2.4 Ghz). Didn't seem to impact the newer IQ camera on same band.

This was a problem even after a full reset/reconfigure.

Reverted to previous firmware and all back working.

Asus RT-AC86U, Merlin 386.4_0.

I just did a dirty upgrade and all seemed well. Then I wanted to enable ssh , which I did and now I can't login via web interface. I assume I've done something dumb by not paying attention, but is there some way I can re-enable web browser admin interface with ssh? ssh login works fine and I have internet access OK, just no web browser access for admin over my lan.

EDIT: the browser error message is:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Tried different browsers/devices and http and https

Last edited:
perhaps i should bundle my little script as an extra watchdog alongside the NTP watchdog in scMerlin
That should do the trick. Thanks. I notice the errors in the log even without touching something, so yes Sir that's a great workaround!
hopefully Merlin would fill in the lines at some point. :)

Asus RT-AC86U, Merlin 386.4_0.

I just did a dirty upgrade and all seemed well. Then I wanted to enable ssh , which I did and now I can't login via web interface. I assume I've done something dumb by not paying attention, but is there some way I can re-enable web browser admin interface with ssh? ssh login works fine and I have internet access OK, just no web browser access for admin over my lan.

EDIT: the browser error message is:
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Tried different browsers/devices and http and https
Try it with port if you haven't already.
Code:
https://routerip:8443/ or https://router.asus.com:8443/

You may want to check WAN / Dual WAN (or the other location if not dual WAN - “Network monitoring” and make sure it’s not on Ping Query and is on DNS query. That resolved my issue.
Just wondering, while sitting here at work half asleep after 11 days off. Do you know why this new firmware should be set to DNS Query and not ping Query, I have not tested yet if this resolves my internet not connecting on the new firmware, just trying to understand the difference?

Is it something to do with timezones?

I think I've answered my own question here https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037370/

You can create this script and run it first (as posted by RMerlin). It can help (depending on history etc)

I will fully reset / revert to starting from scratch, when the 386.5 firmware series starts, but on my RT-AC68U running on 386.4 after a dirty upgrades from each of the 386 betas, FWIW the NVRAM usage is still fine at 56068 / 65536 bytes. Very similar to Tech9's post above

BTW, seems that this tip from the linked thread (and YazDHCP)

Install YazDHCP from within AMTM and it moves your reserved IP lan information to /jffs usually helps people that have lots of reserved IP's

won't work atm with fw 386.4, because Asus has changed NVRAM format? Or at least this is what I gathered from the message posted by Jack Yaz:

Needs updating due to Asus changing nvram format (again)

BTW, seems that this tip from the linked thread (and YazDHCP)

won't work atm with fw 386.4, because Asus has changed NVRAM format? Or at least this is what I gathered from the message posted by Jack Yaz:

existing users of YazDHCP are fine, new users on 386.4 will encounter issues exporting existing entries

Thank you again for bringing us the best gifts this New Year.

Unable to register IPv6 to Asus DDNS in 386.4

Everything is normal with IPv6, and Asus DDNS can also register IPv4 addresses (although it is a reserved address of CGNET), but I still cannot register my WAN IPv6 to Asus DDNS.

My router is RT-AC68U, running 386.4, I have cleanly reset my router after the upgrade, and there is no old configuration imported, everything is new.

I have tried several times through Asus's own nslookup website and directly typing nslookup in the terminal, and I can only get the IPv4 address return from Asus DDNS.

I can log in to the router via ssh and ping any IPv6 address, so I think my router itself can use IPv6 normally.

Code:
Jan  4 12:16:37 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM update@asus.com, wan_unit 0
Jan  4 12:16:37 start_ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Jan  4 12:16:37 start_ddns: Start Inadyn.
Jan  4 12:16:38 inadyn[1737]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jan  4 12:16:40 inadyn[1737]: Update forced for alias [removed].asuscomm.com, new IP# 100.X.X.X
Jan  4 12:16:45 inadyn[1737]: alias address=<100.X.X.X>
Jan  4 12:16:45 inadyn[1737]: request<GET /ddns/update.jsp?hostname=[removed].asuscomm.com&myip=100.X.X.X&model=RT-AC68U&fw_ver=3.0.0.4.386.4_0 HTTP/1.0^M Authorization: Basic [removed]^M Host: ns1.asuscomm.com^M User-Agent: inadyn/2.9.1 https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues^M ^M >
Jan  4 12:16:46 inadyn[1737]: [response_update]HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 10:16:46 GMT^M Server: Apache^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Jan  4 12:16:46 inadyn[1737]: Updating cache for [removed].asuscomm.com

Setting Method to retrieve WAN IP to Internal or External does not change anything. It is just an IPv4 address, not an IPv6 address, but the IPv4 address becomes a public IPv4 address.

What information should I provide for you to troubleshoot?

Thank you again for bringing us the best gifts this New Year.

Unable to register IPv6 to Asus DDNS in 386.4

Everything is normal with IPv6, and Asus DDNS can also register IPv4 addresses (although it is a reserved address of CGNET), but I still cannot register my WAN IPv6 to Asus DDNS.

My router is RT-AC68U, running 386.4, I have cleanly reset my router after the upgrade, and there is no old configuration imported, everything is new.

I have tried several times through Asus's own nslookup website and directly typing nslookup in the terminal, and I can only get the IPv4 address return from Asus DDNS.

I can log in to the router via ssh and ping any IPv6 address, so I think my router itself can use IPv6 normally.

Code:
Jan  4 12:16:37 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM update@asus.com, wan_unit 0
Jan  4 12:16:37 start_ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Jan  4 12:16:37 start_ddns: Start Inadyn.
Jan  4 12:16:38 inadyn[1737]: In-a-dyn version 2.9.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Jan  4 12:16:40 inadyn[1737]: Update forced for alias [removed].asuscomm.com, new IP# 100.X.X.X
Jan  4 12:16:45 inadyn[1737]: alias address=<100.X.X.X>
Jan  4 12:16:45 inadyn[1737]: request<GET /ddns/update.jsp?hostname=[removed].asuscomm.com&myip=100.X.X.X&model=RT-AC68U&fw_ver=3.0.0.4.386.4_0 HTTP/1.0^M Authorization: Basic [removed]^M Host: ns1.asuscomm.com^M User-Agent: inadyn/2.9.1 https://github.com/troglobit/inadyn/issues^M ^M >
Jan  4 12:16:46 inadyn[1737]: [response_update]HTTP/1.1 200 OK^M Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 10:16:46 GMT^M Server: Apache^M Content-Length: 0^M Connection: close^M Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8^M ^M
Jan  4 12:16:46 inadyn[1737]: Updating cache for [removed].asuscomm.com

Setting Method to retrieve WAN IP to Internal or External does not change anything. It is just an IPv4 address, not an IPv6 address, but the IPv4 address becomes a public IPv4 address.

What information should I provide for you to troubleshoot?
IPv6 DDNS was disabled before release

Hi everyone

Happy new year :)

I updated to 386.4 with no problems. Many entware packages and chrooted debian for my plex server works very well. My nextcloud also have some trouble with missing GD library. Waiting for a entware repo update.

Now I got some frustrating error every 30mins caused by dcd in top mit PID 23970.
Anyone has the same error? what should I do?

Greetings and sorry for my english..

Unbenannt.png

IPv6 DDNS was disabled before release

Thanks for your reminder, I think beta 2 may be the last version to support IPv6 DDNS. Okay, if I need this feature, I might go back to beta 2. By the way, do you have any suggestions about using a script to manually register IPv6 to Asus DDNS? Is it possible? Because I think I don't have a token.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!