What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.4 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After ~ 5 years my RT AC88's ET WAN Port died, nothing for it. I got an RT AX88U, updated to Merlin and restored settings.
Hopefully you didn't restore a save file created on your old router onto your new router. If you did you need to factory reset it now and set it up again manually without importing the old file.

The Internet is a globally-connected network of computers that enables people to share information and communicate with each other. An intranet, on the other hand, is a local or restricted network that enables people to store, organize, and share information within an organization.
Hi,
that's why it does NOT make sense.

For GUEST network, I want to keep INTRANET disabled as default.
Instead, I've to turn it to ENABLED in order to allow GUEST network to work (I mean, obtaining IP addresses to clients).

Thank you

Ham and cheese sandwich from a local bakery. They're awesome.
Given this weather in the North East, hopefully some Poutine as well ;-)

Yep, corrupted USB filesystem.
Actually, the sequence of events seems like the corruption was the result of the source issue... The first event hint was...

crashlog: <3>usb usb3-port1: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...

A sudden disconnect of the drive, because the USB port reset is likely the fs corruption. I've seen drive errors be the cause of a bus hang or reset, though SMART values are good.
Even with close to 5 months of uptime on 386.3_2, I wont discount a coincidental failing drive, only time will tell if its something more.

Actually, the sequence of events seems like the corruption was the result of the source issue... The first event hint was...

crashlog: <3>usb usb3-port1: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...

A sudden disconnect of the drive, because the USB port reset is likely the fs corruption. I've seen drive errors be the cause of a bus hang or reset, though SMART values are good.
Even with close to 5 months of uptime on 386.3_2, I wont discount a coincidental failing drive, only time will tell if its something more.
Yes, good spot. I missed that. Drive went offline causing the subsequent IO failures. So quite possible there's no fs corruption at all, just an unclean unmount.

Guest Network 1 (the one I use to distribute a guest network all around the nodes) doesn't work anymore.
Clients doesn't get IP. Is anybody else experiencing this? Any fix?
Are you using wired backhaul between your router and nodes by any chance? If so, see this thread - wireless clients reported unable to connect to guest network 1 via Aimesh nodes running 386.4 for setups involving wired backhaul to the router and access to intranet on guest network 1 disabled. 'Fixes' reported working include enabling intranet access on guest network 1 (although this would seem to defeat the point of having a guest network in the first place), moving to wireless backhaul, or using latest stock firmware on the nodes (main router can stay on 386.4).

Last edited:
My AX86 is running with the new update. Even guest wifi #1 (with access intranet disabled) is running fine and broadcasted to the other mesh nodes.

I can see the lease time is the default (24h), is there a way to change it for the dhcp range specific for the guest network?
Unfortunately I had rollback the guest wifi because I got lot's of disconnections. As soon as it was turned-off I had no more disconnections.
Still I hope, some day, asus will manage to get the idea up&running

I love the progression this thread has had.
It's gone from announcing a new release, via reporting if stable/unstable or broken or not, to asking for help for specific problems related or not to the release, to now discussing sandwhiches :D Hilarious!

I have problem after upgrading to latest firmware, that is says that im disconnected from internet. But internet does work. So what can cause that?

So I see Asus has just released a new firmware for the AX88U... forgive my ignorance but is it the case that Merlin is usually ahead of these in terms of his versions already containing most (all?) of these fixes before an official Asus release? Or not?

1642166492947.png

Question about QoS? Simple network here; a couple of 2.4G devices (already been mentioned by using Legacy since they began dropping after switching to this RT-AX3000 router), a couple of 5G devices, no Mesh, no gaming, no USB drive and no longer using internal VPN but DO have Cake enabled since it is now built-in. I decided to upgrade my ancient cable modem that has a max 100meg speed limit to a new MB8611 and switch to Xfinity's 900meg service. Speeds are great measuring from the router then decided to disable QoS. Settings got applied then within minutes, noticed my (2) 2.4G devices (thermostat and weather station) began dropping/reconnecting every few minutes. and saw my RAM usage went from 48% to 60%. Ok, perhaps the router needed a reboot. Did that but continued drops/high RAM use. Re-enabled QoS and boom, everything is happy again. Just wondering if there is something lingering in the code that caused this just by turning off QoS? Thanks!

I love the progression this thread has had.
It's gone from announcing a new release, via reporting if stable/unstable or broken or not, to asking for help for specific problems related or not to the release, to now discussing sandwhiches :D Hilarious!
Poutine - Ugh! Every region has his gruesomeness... o_O

Question about QoS? Simple network here; a couple of 2.4G devices (already been mentioned by using Legacy since they began dropping after switching to this RT-AX3000 router), a couple of 5G devices, no Mesh, no gaming, no USB drive and no longer using internal VPN but DO have Cake enabled since it is now built-in. I decided to upgrade my ancient cable modem that has a max 100meg speed limit to a new MB8611 and switch to Xfinity's 900meg service. Speeds are great measuring from the router then decided to disable QoS. Settings got applied then within minutes, noticed my (2) 2.4G devices (thermostat and weather station) began dropping/reconnecting every few minutes. and saw my RAM usage went from 48% to 60%. Ok, perhaps the router needed a reboot. Did that but continued drops/high RAM use. Re-enabled QoS and boom, everything is happy again. Just wondering if there is something lingering in the code that caused this just by turning off QoS? Thanks!
When you disable Cake you enable again the flow runner and flow cache. That's why you see more processor use.

Hi
I've done a fresh install of latest 386.4 on AC86U (main router), with two AC68U as AiMesh nodes.

After this update, Guest Network 1 (the one I use to distribute a guest network all around the nodes) doesn't work anymore.
Clients doesn't get IP.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Any fix?
I've already done a hard reset of everything.

Best regards
See this thread, especially the most recent posts.

Are you using wired backhaul between your router and nodes by any chance? If so, see this thread - wireless clients reported unable to connect to guest network 1 via Aimesh nodes running 386.4 for setups involving wired backhaul to the router and access to intranet on guest network 1 disabled. 'Fixes' reported working include enabling intranet access on guest network 1 (although this would seem to defeat the point of having a guest network in the first place), moving to wireless backhaul, or using latest stock firmware on the nodes (main router can stay on 386.4).
Hi,
Thanks for your kind reply.

I confirm I have a wired backhaul between the nodes, before switching to 386.4 I hadn't this issue.

I missed the thread you signaled me.
For the moment I'll stay with this bugged config, hope to get a Merlin fix soon.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!