What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 Beta is now available. This release introduces support for the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000 (both were originally planned for 386.4, but wifi issues with their GPLs forced both, to be delayed). This also merges with Asus's 386_46065 GPL code, and fixes a few issues.

The highlights:
  • Merged with GPL 386_46065 (note that a number of its security fixes were already present in 386.4)
  • Added support for the RT-AC68U V4. Just like with the original Asus firmware, support is implemented in a combined firmware image that supports both the older and newer models. That image might not work properly however when using Firmware Recovery Mode, in which case people should use a version older than 386.5.
  • Added support for the GT-AXE11000 (without its ROG UI or VPN Fusion).
  • Dnsmasq was reverted back to 2.85 in an attempt to improve its stability
  • Avahi was updated to 0.8, and a few additional fixes were backported, which should resolve the incrementing hostname on some setups
  • Miniupnpd was upgraded to 2.3.0.
  • Fixed netatalk failing to load its modules, which was breaking Time Machine
  • A number of fixes and improvements were implemented in Traditional QoS
  • And a few other minor fixes and improvements, please view the changelog for more details

Things in need of testing:
  • Everything on the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000
  • Traditional QoS
  • Time Machine on HND models

Please keep discussions on the topic of this specific beta release. Off-topic posts will be ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the moment.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Known issues:
  • BWDPI and Flow Cache incompatibility on RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U (Compatibility issue with newer SDK for that platform, reverting bwdpi components as per Asus's suggestion)

Last edited:
Anybody experiencing the known disconnection issues (especially affecting the AC86U hard, it seems) that have tested this. Did it solve your problem?

Anybody experiencing the known disconnection issues (especially affecting the AC86U hard, it seems) that have tested this. Did it solve your problem?
I haven't experienced this issue, but I can confirm that the wireless driver for the RT-AC86U has not changed from 386.4 to any of the 386.5 versions.

Yay! I see the ax11000

update ax11000, updated wifi driver from Jan 25th. All looks good so far!

Last edited:
Dirty update from 386.4 to 386.5 beta1, don't notice any issues.

Let's GO! Updating APs now...

EDIT: All three APs upgraded filthily from Alpha2... no issues so far. All devices reconnected. Nest cams behaving and stable so far. IOT devices all back on-line. So far so good. Will do another set of restarts later and then monitor for 24hr.

Last edited:
Just upgraded my AX88U to this Beta from 386.4 with no issues.

@RMerlin It appears the merge of GPL 386_46065 fixed all the problems I had with old TP-LINK smart being constantly dissociated with the 2.4GHZ band and thus becoming unusable with frequent disconnects. I wish I could remember the other uses who had the same problems but it would be worth getting the word out on this. Just tested its one of my old LB110 that has been in a box for awhile and was pleasantly surprised that it works no issues. Note:

1) The bulb has the same firmware that it did when I had problems with it.
2) The WIFI settings are the same as when the bulb disconnected.

I have just updated my two RT-AX86U and RT-AX58U with no problem.
Only icon on aimesh nod is still missing, wrong path.

GEThttps://nw-dlcdnet.asus.com/plugin/productIcons/RT-AX86U-2.png
[HTTP/2 404 Not Found 179ms]

Should be:

Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 19-50-22 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - AiMesh.png

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 16-34-22 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - Network Map.png

Upgraded 386.5 Alpha 2 to 386.5 Beta (after only one day...) on my AC86U.

Noticed that the WAN IP is an internal 192.168.x.y address on the main page (instead of the external address), which makes sense, because I have a double NAT, since I recently upgraded to Fiber and need their modem in front of my ASUS router. I guess I did not notice this before (for example when installing Alpha 2 yesterday), since it somehow stuck out now... (Or has this changed?)

Upgraded 386.5 Alpha 2 to 386.5 Beta (after only one day...) on my AC86U.

Noticed that the WAN IP is an internal 192.168.x.y address on the main page (instead of the external address), which makes sense, because I have a double NAT, since I recently upgraded to Fiber and need their modem in front of my ASUS router. I guess I did not notice this before (for example when installing Alpha 2 yesterday), since it somehow stuck out now... (Or has this changed?)
Did you remember to set the Fiber modem in "Bridge Mode"?

Updated both AC86Us and so far working fine.

I haven't experienced this issue, but I can confirm that the wireless driver for the RT-AC86U has not changed from 386.4 to any of the 386.5 versions.
We're there wireless issues on the 86u unit on the 386.4 release before with 2.4 , like many people complaining? Or was it specific to other models only?

We're there wireless issues on the 86u unit on the 386.4 release before with 2.4 , like many people complaining? Or was it specific to other models only?
I'm guessing it was the AX models only. I run an RT-AC86U and don't have any IoT devices so I didn't pay too much attention to those discussions. The only 2.4 device I have that's ever given me trouble (constant disconnects) is a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner and I always figured that was an issue with range rather than the router's wi-fi driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!