What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably time for a new router as I notice very few commenting here are running the AC68U hardware. But I'm holding out for the AXE16000.
Not commenting here as I have nothing to comment on, have not had any issues on the .5 alpha, beta or final releases.

In my specific case I did not make any extra steps in my case, just performed the update.
Thank you! I successfully did the dirty upgrade too.
I only see 1 minor issue in the log. @RMerlin: How can I fix it? Thank you!

Code:
rstats[1859]: Problem loading /mnt/USB/tomato_rstats_244bfe60bb10.gz. Still trying...

Probably time for a new router as I notice very few commenting here are running the AC68U hardware.
Maybe its because people with RT-AC68U's are not having any issues with 386.5. Some only comment when there are issues. Some just lurk. Put 386.5 on a family member's AC68U yesterday, no negative issues observed so far.

Thanks as always. Dirty upgrade without issues on RT-AX86U (Main Mesh Router) and RT-AC3100 (Mesh Client).

Download
928.84 Mbps
Upload
939.58 Mbps

Level: Ultra

Ping 3.40 ms
Jitter 0.42 ms
Loss 0.00 %

Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5 is now available. This release introduces support for the RT-AC68U_V4 and GT-AXE11000 (both were originally planned for 386.4, but wifi issues with their GPLs forced both to be delayed to this release). This also merges with Asus's 386_46065 GPL code, and fixes a few issues.

The highlights of this release:

• Merged with GPL 386_46065 (note that a number of its security fixes were already present in 386.4)
  • Added support for the RT-AC68U V4. Just like with the original Asus firmware, support is implemented in a combined firmware image that supports both the older and newer models. That image might not work properly however when using Firmware Recovery Mode, in which case people should use a version older than 386.5.
  • Added support for the GT-AXE11000 (without its ROG UI or VPN Fusion).
  • Fixes issues related to the Trend Micro BWDPI engine on the RT-AX68U and RT-AX86U.
  • Dnsmasq was reverted back to 2.85 in an attempt to improve its stability
  • Avahi was updated to 0.8, and a few additional fixes were backported.
  • Miniupnpd was upgraded to 2.3.0.
  • Fixed netatalk failing to load its modules, which was breaking Time Machine
  • A number of fixes and improvements were implemented in Traditional QoS
  • And a few other minor fixes and improvements, please view the changelog for more details

Please keep discussions in this thread on this specific release. General support requests should be posted in a separate thread.

This thread will be locked once the post-release feedback has quieted down.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.
working wellon my RT5300 no problems upgrading all working so far Thank you again Mrlin

HELP

Everything flashed okay. But "Internet Status" is stuck on "Disconnected" even though I have an internet connection. I've tried several past mentioned fixes with no change.

I'm on an RT-AX86U

Tried reboot
changed DNS
Changed ping target

Last edited:
Went back to 386.3_2 on my AC66U_B1 (AC68U). 386.4 was fine, but I swore my pings went up on it. I went a long time issue-free on 386.3_x so I thought I'd land back here for now.
Did the install, reset factory defaults, entered everything in by hand again. My VPN blipped a time or two, hard to say the cause because I didn't bother to restart the machine, but not a single RDP blip as described above since going back. Probably stay on 386.3_2 for a year or two unless I just can't resist again.

One thing that stood out- after factory resetting 386.3_2, my WoL entries were still there. I wouldn't expect to see anything like that, but there it was.

Probably time for a new router as I notice very few commenting here are running the AC68U hardware. But I'm holding out for the AXE16000.
Similarly, I am on a 66uB1. I don't think it has the power as I was having lockup problems on 386.4. I'm leaving it on 386.3_2 .

Thank you! I successfully did the dirty upgrade too.
I only see 1 minor issue in the log. @RMerlin: How can I fix it? Thank you!

Code:
rstats[1859]: Problem loading /mnt/USB/tomato_rstats_244bfe60bb10.gz. Still trying...
Check your USB disk, and make sure the traffic monitoring database referred in this message exists. If not, create it under Tools -> Other Settings.

Check your USB disk, and make sure the traffic monitoring database referred in this message exists. If not, create it under Tools -> Other Settings.
Thanks for the suggestion! I recreated the file and that specific log went away

I tried to download 386.5 for AX86U, but it doesn't download...
I had the same issue with several SourceForge servers yesterday, for AC86U & AC68U.

On about the fifth alternative I tried the download finally started, but it was extremely slow. It took almost 10 minutes to download these small files over My 1 Gbps connection…

Dirty update from 386.5ß to 386.5
everything working fine so far
thxs Merlin !

Tell me what is your AC86U temperature on the new firmware 386.5 ? I have a high temperature of 85 degrees at 386.4! On earlier firmware, the temperature did not exceed 72 degrees.
Current Temperatures: 32 °C - 42 °C - 45
Router is located in the basement and outside temperature is around 7 C
Maybe active cooling is an option.
Don't want to start the discussion about it as there is another thread about it.
But that is working fine for me with another router where the room temperature can get around 30 C

Last edited:
Tell me what is your AC86U temperature on the new firmware 386.5 ? I have a high temperature of 85 degrees at 386.4! On earlier firmware, the temperature did not exceed 72 degrees.

2.4 GHz: 45°C - 5 GHz: 51°C - CPU: 58°C
Router located in a 21°C living room, with a small silent fan.

Configuration : RT-AX88U + ONT ISP (WAN PORT)
I upgraded from 386.4 to 386.5 + WPS reset + Format JFFS partition and full configuration (necessary in my opinion to have no bug) no problem to report, my wifi and ethernet devices connect without problem, internet works perfectly with custom DNS.
I don't use any additional addon or script.
The router menu interface is very stable with the latest version of Firefox (97.0.1)
The 386.5 version has been running for 15 hours now and no problems to report, everything is rock solid !
Sans titre 1.png

Last edited:
HELP

Everything flashed okay. But "Internet Status" is stuck on "Disconnected" even though I have an internet connection. I've tried several past mentioned fixes with no change.

I'm on an RT-AX86U

Tried reboot
changed DNS
Changed ping target
See the comments in the 386.5 Beta thread. Only list 1 target in the boxes (and make sure they are valid lookups). Multiple targets, we learned, are not supported. It solved my "Disconnected" issues after 386.5 beta update. Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Like you, I'm on AC68U hardware (I have the AC66U_B1) and also having problems.

Unsure if related but I never ran the beta but I'm getting non-stop RDP disconnects this morning. The same thing happened on 386.4 until I did a factory reset. With 386.5 I started off the right way. Upgrade, factory reset, enter configuration by hand. All seemed fine on a very basic level, but this morning until I started my daily RDP session to my work machine is disconnecting constantly. Not much I can do.

My desktop that I RDP from is on ethernet, but my RDP "server" is a laptop on wifi. On top of that semi-demanding task, no two wifi environments are the same. I'm very likely in one the most challenging wifi environment of anyone here, living in a high-rise building. Every band is saturated a few times over, and I think that's why I'm seeing performance gaps between various releases that others aren't.
Not only is my RDP reconnecting constantly, my work VPN is doing the same- but only when I'm connected to the machine through RDP.

That said, while MSTSC is unstable, Teamviewer is not. I believe I have Teamviewer configured to route over the LAN so it's not going out and back in. But that's only sending 1 monitor worth, while RDP is configured to send 3 screens worth. Big difference in traffic.

So this isn't helpful but I thought I'd get it out there. I'll try another router + computer reboot, but if it doesn't fix it, I'll probably go back to 386.3_2 once my wife is done with her work at noon today. She teaches kids all day so there's another daily test put on my AC66U_B1. Never had a single issue until I left the 386.3_x branch though.

edit to add- It seems to have settled down now.. will post an update if I have to end up reverting. I statically assign both of my machines involved with this RDP kerfuffle. Of note, I do see a lot of these in the logs to my laptop if it matters-
dnsmasq-dhcp[1275]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.4 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
dnsmasq-dhcp[1275]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.4 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

edit 2- One of our video livestreams are freezing (on wifi). While my disconnects cleared up... I noticed my audio cutting out in a meeting too. I can't have many issues (hence the attempt at some insurance with a factory reset), going back to 386.3_2 where it seemed like the wifi drivers were best.
On a New Years day 386.4 was released.
I upgraded my AC86u with it and after a few days downgraded back to 386.3.2 because of a faulty WiFi driver - constant line drops on 2.4 GHz.
As you noticed, WiFi driver in 386.5 cause the same problems. Looks like the problem is not solved. Wonder if driver is the same.
Looking forward to hear from other users here to confirm/deny this statement.
Would be very happy, when other users confirm a 100% working WiFi with 386.5 on AC86U. Else I'll stay on 386.3.2 until this failure is solved.

I had success to update the AX86 and AX58 from 386.4 to 386.5, but for AC66_B1 no luck.
Maybe it is just on my side, but it looks like something changed since this new FW format for AC68.
Always getting:
ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC66U B1 - Firmware Upgrade
Please wait, Applying Settings...

I had success to update the AX86 and AX58 from 386.4 to 386.5, but for AC66_B1 no luck.
Maybe it is just on my side, but it looks like something changed since this new FW format for AC68.
Always getting:
ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC66U B1 - Firmware Upgrade
Please wait, Applying Settings...
I had this problem sense the firmware got bigger on my ac68u, I think it’s because ram is too low to accept the file as every time I tried it with my ram low it would do that (even if I had swap file)

so if I factory reset my router , clearing all scripts and things it would then take the new firmware

this is only my findings. I’m far from a professional like some of the others on here. But I think it’s what’s happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!