What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And....you repaired it by doing....?
A full format and reinstall of amtm and all scripts? Sure, I know that will work, but was trying to avoid it if possible.
Point is once I downgrade back it works. The script literally is blank if I select any option such as count ads or toggle ads. It just displays nothing after the selection.

Hi all, did a dirty upgrade from 386.5 to this new beta on mesh network with RT-AX86 as primary, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC88U as mesh nodes.

And getting a lot of the following errors with different domain's at the end:
Jun 11 16:13:51 kernel: *** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=http://172.16.1.1:80/blocking.asp?cat_id=78&mac=C0B6F92D177F&domain=jomtingi.net

I assume this is from TrendMicro but wasn't getting it before upgrade. I do have AiProtection enabled. Let me know if there is any additional information needed. Thanks.

Trend Micro recently added some new websites to their built-in black list. If you have Trend Micro installed, then to get a site back that's now in the black list, its necessary to enable AiProtection and the sub-feature "Malicious Site Blocking". Then its necessary to add the site the the white list. To do this, select the Malicious Site Blocking feature, and about midway down that page, there is a "pen and paper" icon on the right site. That is the button to bring up the whitelist page. Enter the site address there. Should work after that.

The alternative it to completely remove Trend Micro using the Privacy tab in the Administration section of the ASUS router interface.

Trend Micro recently added some new websites to their built-in black list. If you have Trend Micro installed, then to get a site back that's now in the black list, its necessary to enable AiProtection and the sub-feature "Malicious Site Blocking". Then its necessary to add the site the the white list. To do this, select the Malicious Site Blocking feature, and about midway down that page, there is a "pen and paper" icon on the right site. That is the button to bring up the whitelist page. Enter the site address there. Should work after that.

The alternative it to completely remove Trend Micro using the Privacy tab in the Administration section of the ASUS router interface.

Apologies as I may not have been clear in my message. These should all be blocked, which they are, but Im getting the error now in the Asus Log Files:

Jun 11 16:43:33 kernel: *** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=http://172.16.1.1:80/blocking.asp?cat_id=78&mac=C0B6F92D177F&domain=jomtingi.net

Before this update there wasn't anything logged with ERROR when someone went to a page that was blocked by Trend Micro. If Trend Micro is now starting to post to the Asus Log Files thats fine but I would think it would be a NOTICE rather than ERROR as to me an ERROR represents something failing and not a notice that something was blocked. Of course this is just my opinion. When you have teenagers on your network they go to lot of crazy websites that get blocked all the time so seeing 1000's of these in the event log is a little annoying. Thanks.

Oh, I said earlier that the IP addresses on the Wireless log page were fixed, but today I've noticed that all clients on Guest network #1 are showing the same addresses - 192.168.2.81

The addresses in the DHCP leases page are correct.

I use YazFi to configure the guest networks.
@RMerlin
Ok, there's two of us seeing same client addresses in the guest network. There must be something there, my setup is slightly different from @alan6854321, I'm using guest #2 and no YazFi in an RT-AX88U while his/her is an RT-AX86S as per his/her signature.

Anyone else worried that the AX86 series hasnt gotten a firmware update since January 11th, 2022? I am wondering if there is a known issue with these routers.

Not me.

New firmware comes when it is stable/ready (hopefully). The network is still running extremely well. Particularly with 387 Beta 1.

Anyone else worried that the AX86 series hasnt gotten a firmware update since January 11th, 2022? I am wondering if there is a known issue with these routers.
Asus are moving it to a new SDK, that might explain why the longer delay (and also why currently I'm experiencing more issues with that model than the other ones).

@RMerlin
I think my issues got lost with all those deciding it's ok to spam the thread with crap about blood pressure monitors.
Be patient. There is only one single developer working on this, and right now there are higher priority issues to be worked on than a visual glitch.

Performed dirty upgrades from 386.5_2 to beta1 on AX86U and AX58U. Uptimes are 18 hours and 25 hours respectively with no issues so far.

Edit: Had to revert to 386.5_2 last night on the AX86U; clients kept loosing internet connectivity.

Last edited:
It did, rescue worked for me. Just had to do a hard reset to clear NVram which meant holding down the WPS button.

Strange as in my case rescue tool did not work. Did you follow below steps ?

1. hard reset to clear NVram which meant holding down the WPS button
2. power off
3. while pressing reset power on to set router in rescue mode
4. flash stock firmware with rescue tool

FYI, I played with stopping this process on my GT-AX11000 and found AiMesh needs that process to work properly. Noticed weird issues like devices reporting not online while connected to the node and I tried to re-add my node to see if that fixed that issue but AiMesh couldn't find the node while searching without that process running. Restarted the process and it immediately found the node,

To get rid of the wlceventd messages, try this. First, ssh to your router, and:

Code:
nvram get log_level
nvram set log_level=5
nvram commit
reboot

The first line just verifies that you're currently at log level 6. Changing the log level from 6 to 5 has stopped the wlceventd messages for me several times with different firmware versions. I can't say what other messages you won't get, but you'll still get more urgent messages. That way you're not killing a process that actually does something for you *smile*, and won't miss messages that really matter.

Strange as in my case rescue tool did not work. Did you follow below steps ?

1. hard reset to clear NVram which meant holding down the WPS button
2. power off
3. while pressing reset power on to set router in rescue mode
4. flash stock firmware with rescue tool
These are the two guides I found and followed.

Done here, 2 AX88U on AiMesh wireless network.
Im always amazed by how seamless Merlin works, even in a Beta.
Second Beta I join, fully confident of my network to keep rockin' and it is.
21 clients connected just like that, no hustle.

My routine:
Dirty flash AiMesh Node,
Dirty flash router
after everything is up- reboot the whole system for a healthy boot.
10 Mins all together.

Thank you Merlin for keep rockin'
You do my network better place to surf in

Turns on malicious website blocking back on after upgrade even tho i had it off, i turned it on and back off to fix no problems after may have other options having toggled on again without realizing guess i find out later or do a reset later.
I have malicious websites turned off cos i use pihole and trend micro has some false positives.

RT-AC86u (AiMesh with wireless backhaul between two rt-ac86u) upgraded today from 386.5_2 to 386.7_beta1. No severe issues only one observation - when I set my ipv6 dns server (local pihole) in LAN-DHCP page I get the following error:

Jun 13 01:00:04 httpd: nvram_check fail: nvram ipv6_dns1_x over length (25 > 15)

All I tried to enter was : "fe80::9fc2:c3d1:cde6:42de".

Thanks @RMerlin - for the hard and continued work!!!

Thanks but now that you brought it up... It would probably be even better to perform the hash check on the file we copy to the router just before flashing. But I got lazy & kinda figured scp would alert me of any wrongdoing during the file transfer.
so you're gonna make it proper?

Anyone else see issues with amtm scripts (Diversion and unbound, possibly others) that don't want to accept any new updates, or even a forced re-install (uu updates)? This is on an RT-AC86U, and has been happening since the alpha release, as well as on the newer beta release. Jffs is mounted, scripts run, but something's not right: I seem to always get something similar to "Error: Address /opt/share/diversion/webui/process.div is invalid", even if the scripts themselves run. Similar with unbound, but it exits out of the update process too fast to get a screenshot.
I've had issues with the GUI graphs of unbound, spdMerlin and ntpMerlin...but I'm on the latest release, so I'd guess my usb drive is failing or I've a bad USB port on my AC86
(yes I know this is not quite germane to the thread/topic, but I have been seeing strange things)

When you say ipv6 ddns support, are you referring to the support asus has to add to their ddns services? I am trying to understand this one because on Merlin-Wrt I am able to ddns ipv6 with no problem using ddns services like dynv6.
Yes: Asus IPv6 DDNS. I have DDNS with both Asus & No IP ( via use of /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add plus the extra line "allow-ipv6 = true" ). No IP works perfectly for me, with one minor exception (see below) but AFAIK Asus themselves, still haven't - yet - finalised their own IPv6 DDNS support, hence this process was removed in a previous firmware release by @RMerlin and won't be added back in, until the Asus GPL's include a 100% working version of it. The removal, means that upon a re-boot (...depending on the IPv6 service setup that you receive from you're own ISP) IF your router is provided with a new IPv6 address (e.g. as I mentioned previously, when you have a Static IPv6 *******/64 address but you've setup Stateless IPv6 addresses within that) then at present, you have to go and update the IPV6 address part of your No IP DDNS yourself, within your No IP account. Currently, it's not checked and/or updated by process, like the IPv4 address is. It's a very minor thing, but again AFAIK that will also be corrected / function again once the Asus IPv6 DDNS service is re-instated. What setup (your ISP IPv6 address and functionality at dynv6 etc) do you have at present that works 100% with this current Merlin firmware release? Something different and/or something that already works perfectly? Thx!

Completed full update of my system as follows:

1. dirty flash AiMesh nodes (from latest stock to merlin 386.7 B1) - all fine although one node lost connectivity after full system reboot
2. dirty flash router AX86S from merlin 386.5_2 to 386.7 B1 - update successful but jffs partition and swap file missing

FYI - bootloader version is 1.0.0.3 but not sure if this changed through the upgrade.

I fixed the jffs / swap issue by recreating the partition and restoring from my jffs backup
After full system reboot, one node (wifi backhaul) decided to disconnect and I could see the 2.4g light on node was off. Couldn't reconnect it.
Fixed the node with wps reset and added to system via ethernet - no issue adding it while running merlin 386.7 B1

So all good after the above steps but did notice that jffs space used was 2x normal.

So today I decided to uninstall scripts and setup my swap/jffs/scripts clean. I recreated jffs partition, reformatted USB drive and set all up as new. Everything back up and running with jffs space back to normal.

Hope this helps others with similar situation.

Yes: Asus IPv6 DDNS. I have DDNS with both Asus & No IP ( via use of /jffs/configs/inadyn.conf.add plus the extra line "allow-ipv6 = true" ). No IP works perfectly for me, with one minor exception (see below) but AFAIK Asus themselves, still haven't - yet - finalised their own IPv6 DDNS support, hence this process was removed in a previous firmware release by @RMerlin and won't be added back in, until the Asus GPL's include a 100% working version of it. The removal, means that upon a re-boot (...depending on the IPv6 service setup that you receive from you're own ISP) IF your router is provided with a new IPv6 address (e.g. as I mentioned previously, when you have a Static IPv6 *******/64 address but you've setup Stateless IPv6 addresses within that) then at present, you have to go and update the IPV6 address part of your No IP DDNS yourself, within your No IP account. Currently, it's not checked and/or updated by process, like the IPv4 address is. It's a very minor thing, but again AFAIK that will also be corrected / function again once the Asus IPv6 DDNS service is re-instated. What setup (your ISP IPv6 address and functionality at dynv6 etc) do you have at present that works 100% with this current Merlin firmware release? Something different and/or something that already works perfectly? Thx!
Albiet @RMerlin inadyn ddns support is as true as inadyn itself. Inadyn developers have yet to allow for updating of dual stack simultaneously. However, as long as the DDNS service offers a friendly enough API, then both ipv4 and ipv6 can be update separately.
in /jffs/inadyn.conf i have my inadyn configured as such

Code:
iterations = 1
custom ipv6.dynv6.com {
username = replace with dynv6 api token
password = n/a
hostname = { myddns.dynv6.net }
checkip-command = "/bin/nvram get ipv6_wan_addr"
ddns-server = dynv6.com
ddns-path = "/api/update?hostname=%h&ipv6=%i/128&token=%u"
wildcard = true
}
iterations = 1
custom ipv4.dynv6.com {
username = replace with dynv6 api token
password = n/a
hostname = { myddns.dynv6.net }
checkip-command = "/bin/nvram get wan_ipaddr"
ddns-server = ipv4.dynv6.com
ddns-path = "/api/update?hostname=%h&ipv4=%i&token=%u"
wildcard = true
}

in /jffs/scripts/ddns-start

Code:
#!/bin/sh
inadyn --once -f "/jffs/inadyn.conf" -e "/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1" --continue-on-error "/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1"

my ddns page looks like this
1655085245447.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!