What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works perfectly for me - just ran an update on my RT-AX86U to prove it for you ...
Before...
View attachment 41999

After update [NB - was only 15 minutes after the scheduled update had already run]
View attachment 42000

Likely an issue with the JFFS partition due to structural change between prior versions and 386.7 - covered in previous posts in this thread.
It didn't work for me - formatted the jffs partition / factory reseted, and reconfigured everything and the counter never changes plus the iOS shortcut doesn't work meaning if I select any option its blank.

@Jeffrey Young @capncybo
I was referring to the (pic) and hadn't noticed any discussion regarding the Asus implementation (now I know), yet lots of promising chatter in the RMerlin Addon Forum.

View attachment 42011
Oh (my bad) I was going to ask "where abouts in the VPN section you were finding that screen" but then realized your screenshot is regarding a: GT-AX6000
Perhaps I'm blind... but so-far I can't find a wireguard section on my: RT-AX86U nor the RT-AC68U nodes that I own
EDIT: I should probably add (I'm not expecting a wireguard implementation from asus nor RMerlin for the RT-AC68U) from memory...
The wireguard bits n pieces started with the HND routers which should place any "future wireguard implementations" likely at RT-AC-86U and newer/better models

Last edited:
What router are using? Because I'm seeing issues and these type of entries along with a bunch more exactly 12 hrs after a reboot on my GT-AX11000. Before the 12 hrs, clean and normal log entries but after it hits the 12 hr mark, logs go crazy and that is 1 type of log entry I see. No other router I have upgraded to Beta 2 has displayed this issue, RT-AX58U, RT-AC88U or RT-AC68U all have clean logs so far, only my GT-AX11000 is displaying this issue after it hits that time frame. On Alpha 1, I did see this issue on a RT-AX88U also but I haven't been able to upgraded back to 386.7 on that router to test for the issue again unfortunately

AX88U

openssl 1.1.1p is out today with moderate security fixes.
Can you update the beta if it not too late?
Depends on how extensive the changes are and how critical the fixes are. I'll have to review it.

EDIT: at a first glance at the release note, this issue affects a script, not the openssl library itself, so Asuswrt is not affected.

This is an interesting view and I understand but... In my experience over the last 2 years of having AiMesh running with a number of different configs as main router / nodes, the best stability I have found is always with stock on the nodes and merlin on main router.

The main issue that I have with AiMesh is with my Apple homepods when connected to nodes. They play nicely with stock but not with merlin. I have not been able to work out why/what.

I'm convinced (for my usage) that stock is better for nodes.
I've also found stock to be best for nodes

@RMerlin - as always thanks for the great work with this project.

I have a RT-AX86S running merlin but I see that the stock firmware for AX86U/S has finally been updated to 3.0.0.4.386.49447 on 20 June.

I know that you use GPL and other components from Asus to produce your firmware. I just wanted to understand if there is a big change between 386.5 and 386.7 for this model (i know about the jffs partition change/issue). Will 386.7 bring most of the changes included in the latest stock firmware?

Thanks.

Is there anything special to do to roll back to the prior stable version? I am having a hard time with a VPN connection running from a PC, the DNS just totally stops working after a little while. If I reconnect it works again for a bit. I cannot figure out what the heck is going on. Not much has changed besides the update to this beta. Tried changing other settings and I cannot get it to work properly. I think its a long shot since the traffic should all be in the VPN tunnel but I dont have many other ideas.

EDIT: Have tested further and it only craps out when I have heavy traffic. DNS stops working then it goes downhill from there. Going to try reverting firmware to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Is the pixelserv-tls bug from 386.4 finally fixed ?

Where we had to either uninstall pixelserv-tls or disable Trend AI Protection as a workaround.

Is the pixelserv-tls bug from 386.4 finally fixed ?

Where we had to either uninstall pixelserv-tls or disable Trend AI Protection as a workaround.
Still plenty of ‘tainted’ lines in syslog with Pixelserv enabled.
Doesn't seem to affect operation though.

Ive just disabled Pixelserv via Diversion. No more log spamming, everything seems to work just fine on my modest home network. Go figure……

On my RT-AX56U, I've been seeing this warning for over a year, regardless of whether the stock or Merlin firmware is installed (for example, here is my post for 386.4, and here is another one). It is indeed caused by Adaptive QOS and usually appears exactly one hour later after a certain client that causes it (for some unknown reason) disconnects. For example, in my case, now it does not appear after smartphones disconnect, but as soon as I shut down my laptop, exactly one hour later this appears in the log. So, in your case, I'm almost sure that some client disconnected from WiFi at approx. 9:40.

Some users of RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U also reported that they get this message. There was one report on the ROG forum, and technical support from ASUS told the user that this message can be ignored (however, I'm not sure that it does not affect QOS in the long term).

BTW, it does not look like a crash, it more looks like a warning that some third-party module is re-loaded (based on the Comm: tc Tainted: P O message).

Very interesting info, thank you. I settled in with 386.1_2 because it was rock solid with no issues on this router and that came out in February of last year. If I remember correctly I was having trouble with QOS and wifi on newer versions so I just went back and let it be with 386.1_2.

I checked my logs and got another of these warnings today, and sure enough both of these events had a single device with the same mac disconnect almost exactly an hour before. I think it's an iPhone but it's not connected right now to verify. I'll be watching for that. Good call.

Edit: Confirmed it's an iPhoneSE 2nd gen

Last edited:
I know that you use GPL and other components from Asus to produce your firmware. I just wanted to understand if there is a big change between 386.5 and 386.7 for this model (i know about the jffs partition change/issue). Will 386.7 bring most of the changes included in the latest stock firmware?
The RT-AX86U had an SDK upgrade with 386.7.

Will 386.7 bring most of the changes included in the latest stock firmware?
I don`t know the exact list of changes. I know that newer 49xxx received a number of fixes to IPv6 DDNS support. I don`t know what else has changed.
Is there anything special to do to roll back to the prior stable version?
With an RT-AX68U if on beta 2 you can just downgrade. If on Beta 1, you will need to make a backup of both your settings and the JFFS partition, and after the downgrade you must reformat the JFFS partition, then restore your backup. There`s a chance the router may be bootlooping, in which case a factory default reset + restoring your saved settings will be necessary.

I think it's an iPhone but it's not connected right now to verify. I'll be watching for that. Good call.

Edit: Confirmed it's an iPhoneSE 2nd gen
Initially I thought that this error has something to do with a WiFi module or driver on the laptop. However, even after upgrading my laptop's WiFi with WiFi6 USB dongle from ASUS I still get this message. Now we can be sure that it is not caused by the OS type, since my errors are caused by the laptop running Windows 10, while yours - by iOS. Maybe some app causes it? BTW, do you use Skype extensively? I have some suspicions that this problem is caused by Skype.

Dirty upgrade from new/clean 386.5 to 386.7B2 yesterday on my AX86S. All went well and router was stable/fine for around 10hrs.

Overnight I see that the router has crashed/rebooted and I have never seen this happen before. Nothing in the logs to help - just the normal router startup log entries. Happened at about 12.40am as I can see when the router finished the startup and did the initial time sync.

I'm a bit wary of the latest SDK / updates from Asus for AX86U and AX86S.

Will see if this issue happens again and if it does i'm going back to 386.5

Happy to help out with troubleshooting if helpful.

Dirty upgrade from new/clean 386.5 to 386.7B2 yesterday on my AX86S. All went well and router was stable/fine for around 10hrs.

Overnight I see that the router has crashed/rebooted and I have never seen this happen before. Nothing in the logs to help - just the normal router startup log entries. Happened at about 12.40am as I can see when the router finished the startup and did the initial time sync.

I'm a bit wary of the latest SDK / updates from Asus for AX86U and AX86S.

Will see if this issue happens again and if it does i'm going back to 386.5

Happy to help out with troubleshooting if helpful.
No problems on mine. Have AX86s and upgraded from 386.5 to B1 to B2 earlier this week. Uptime so far, 4 days 10 hours. I do not have anything other scripts or other third-party items installed and its been working great. Do you have other scripts installed?

@jata does that also include saving the JFFS backup before upgrading to B2, formatting the JFFS after upgrading, then restoring the backup you made?

What does 'new/clean' 386.5 mean? When was the last time you fully reset the router (if that is what you were trying to state)?

Several of us have been seeing random crashes on these routers due to a kernel panic, they were happening before this release.

You don't see any messages in the log on the router, but you do see them if you run a separate syslog server.

See this thread....

@jata does that also include saving the JFFS backup before upgrading to B2, formatting the JFFS after upgrading, then restoring the backup you made?

What does 'new/clean' 386.5 mean? When was the last time you fully reset the router (if that is what you were trying to state)?
No need for the jffs backup/restore process as I went straight from 386.5 to 386.7B2 and the issue with partitions only affected the alpha and b1 merlin releases.

Clean install is following your nuclear procedure to install 386.5 and reconfigure entire network less than one week ago after trying 386.7B1 :)

Note I also used new and reformatted USB drive for swap/scripts

Last edited:
Several of us have been seeing random crashes on these routers due to a kernel panic, they were happening before this release.

You don't see any messages in the log on the router, but you do see them if you run a separate syslog server.

See this thread....
thanks - do you know what is causing the kernel panic on this model? I'm thinking it could be related to wifi drivers as they have been updated in this release to wl0: May 24 2022 05:43:41 version 17.10.157.2809 (r801046)

Looking at forum posting on the stock asus thread, I think the wifi drivers are June (I think - not 100% sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!