What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 is now available for all models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should probably write in this thread that test firmware: 386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb (for my RT-AX86U) is running fine so far.
However, I'm working remotely so I can't really test everything... YET!!!

I should probably write in this thread that test firmware: 386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb (for my RT-AX86U) is running fine so far.
However, I'm working remotely so I can't really test everything... YET!!!
I cannot seem to get ipv6 to work on the latest test version 386.7_1-gd1340bd88e (AC88U)

Test with IPv4 elements in DNS
ok (0.632s) is using ipv4
Test with IPv6 elements in DNS
timeout (16.535s)

1657912372084.png

1657913147044.png

Not sure what it could be. Using comcrap native Ipv6 here and its solid. There have been many posts over IPv6 not working right.

OK @RMerlin , You got me (I'm confused). in the Test Builds directory... there is "now" an even NEWER filename.
386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb_49599.w
Is this just the same as: 386.7_1-g8fd8deefbb_pureubi.w
But Renamed ???
(Note: They are Both 87.5MB)
Hopefully I don't have to re-flash again.

OK @RMerlin , You got me (I'm confused). in the Test Builds directory... there is "now" an even NEWER filename.
But Renamed ???

Noticed this as well. He should just release the final and move on to the next when available.

Noticed this as well. He should just release the final and move on to the next when available.
But Renamed ???
I would assume that newer release covers the changes that were pushed out recently by Asus firmware build 49499. See official thread below which is where I recognized that number.

But Renamed ???
That was explained in the thread where the links were posted and this specific issue is being discussed...

He should just release the final and move on to the next when available.
Why would I "move on" if I received a fix less than 12 hours ago, and this fix needs testing? This is precisely the reason for the test builds being uploaded.

And as I also posted, I am awaiting another GPL update that will be important to be merged and published before any incompatible model hits the market, to avoid the flood of "Why is my wifi not working???". So I'm not at a stage where I am ready to release anything final.

Why would I "move on" if I received a fix less than 12 hours ago, and this fix needs testing? This is precisely the reason for the test builds being uploaded.

And as I also posted, I am awaiting another GPL update that will be important to be merged and published before any incompatible model hits the market, to avoid the flood of "Why is my wifi not working???". So I'm not at a stage where I am ready to release anything final.

Fair enough.

My AX88U started locking up (No internet or wifi, no web or SSH access, mesh nodes on the same version works and LAN traffic continues to work), few weeks after the upgrade, and first it was 1 week beteen but got closer and last one happned within 24 hours of last reboot so downgraded to 386-5-2 and no issues now. Mesh nodes are still on 386-7

Can someone explain why I have this in the log repeated every hour:

Jul 16 05:29:23 ovpn-client1[3111]: WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1618', remote='link-mtu 1634'
Jul 16 05:29:23 ovpn-client1[3111]: WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 128', remote='keysize 256'

Is there a setting I am missing? Please help. Otherwise running very good.

CC

Jul 16 05:29:23 ovpn-client1[3111]: WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1618', remote='link-mtu 1634'
Jul 16 05:29:23 ovpn-client1[3111]: WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 128', remote='keysize 256'

CC

This is my custom script in the Nord VPN, is the problem here?

remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0

#log /tmp/vpn.log

That was explained in the thread where the links were posted and this specific issue is being discussed...

Dear @RMerlin
I do not know whether 5Ghz losses are known in AX88U as well but it did occurred to me in the last 6 days on :386.7_1-gd1340bd88e
Not a lot, just 2-3 times or so.
I did not even give it any special attention (too small to give it special attention, but did happen) until I saw you were giving it attention on the other model.
I do not know if it is related or known matter, just thought need to put it here.

An Edit: it is more than 2-3 times, it is way more and I just got way more observant to it ;)

Thank you!

Last edited:
That's correct. It's the non-beta RC3 branch code. Among other things, it includes:

- Wireguard client and server support
- VPN Fusion now available for all models
- New Parental Control features, such as "rewarding" a kid by providing him some extra time to his schedule, also new improved schedule manager interface
- SafeSearch support
- DoT more officially launched (tho it was mostly available already in recent 386 builds)
- Notification on new unknown devices connecting (through the mobile app)
- InstantGuard 2.0 (unsure what was changed, I haven't checked it.)

Hey RMerlin,

I did a search but haven't seen anything about Cake QoS issues with the Merlin firmware.

Sooo ... I've been having problems after I did a "dirty" upgrade to my Asus RT-AX88U from 386.5_2 to 386.7. I've had Cake QoS enabled since it was implemented in one of your earlier firmware versions and has been working great for over a year now. Then I noticed a month or so ago my stream buffering. While checking, my bandwidth was no longer 200/35, but greatly reduced to something like 35/10 or thereabouts. I reset the modem to default and then I reset the router defaults. I even called my cable ISP (GASP!) and they couldn't understand what was happening either. I was at wits end and then as a last-ditch effort, I started tediously checking all my settings (with multiple speed tests in between). When I got to the QoS settings, I changed them to Adaptive QoS instead of Cake QoS, then after doing the speed test, BOOM! I got my correct Download/Upload speeds I was missing.

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but that was my problem. I've kept it as Adaptive QoS with manual entries and it's been fine for the last few hours. Is this something you can look for the upcoming release of your firmware? Or am I the oddball, one-off here? :) Thanks in advance.

remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0

#log /tmp/vpn.log

There's usually no need for MTU value tweaks, and your config does not specify a cipher. That aside, OVPN with a correct configuration on ASUS routers seems to like to spit out warnings like what you are seeing simply due to the ordering of the OVPN settings in the config file. I've found that rearranging the ordering can prevent the link-mtu and keysize warnings you are seeing.

There's usually no need for MTU value tweaks, and your config does not specify a cipher. That aside, OVPN with a correct configuration on ASUS routers seems to like to spit out warnings like what you are seeing simply due to the ordering of the OVPN settings in the config file. I've found that rearranging the ordering can prevent the link-mtu and keysize warnings you are seeing.

Thank you for the reply, can you suggest what I should use in the config. The one I am using is what Nord VPN has in their instructions to run Nord on Merlin firmware. Thank you in advance.

CC

CC
Those are normal messages for NordVPN connections. Ignore them, they don't indicate a problem.

remote-cert-tls server
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0

#log /tmp/vpn.log
I'd ignore those old out of date instructions from the NordVPN website. Just import the ovpn file and it will populate the Custom Configuration options with the correct values. I'd also suggest that you don't set your WAN DNS servers to the NordVPN addresses as shown in those instructions.

But none of this is specifically an issue with 386.7. So if you're still having problems open another thread.

Last edited:
Those are normal messages for NordVPN connections. Ignore them, they don't indicate a problem.

I'd ignore those old out of date instructions from the NordVPN website. Just import the ovpn file and it will populate the Custom Configuration options with the correct values. I'd also suggest that you don't set your WAN DNS servers to the NordVPN addresses as shown in those instructions.

But none of this is specifically an issue with 386.7. So if you're still having problems open another thread.
Thank you, uploaded the vpn config file again and let it populate the script, now works perfectly.

CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!