What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 is now available for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My AX88U (386.8) has some new strange issue where ping times will slowly escalate from ~30ms all the way up to ~300ms, then suddenly fall back to normal.

This repeats every 10 seconds like clockwork.

I'm also seeing issues with streaming video services on the TV that will randomly drop to the worst possible quality level (240p/360p) then slowly ramp up again to 4K.

I have Frontier 1Gbps fiber internet. This is a new issue and was not happening before. The regularity of the ping time escalations leads me to believe the issue is local to the router.

The device sending pings is connected to the main router, not the AiMesh remote AP.

See attached screenshots. One target is facebook.com; the other is apple.com.

Attachments

• 50E7ED70-8920-4F37-9430-34DE8800D797.jpeg
    50E7ED70-8920-4F37-9430-34DE8800D797.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 77
  • B4217D8D-6750-4E9D-B77B-095E101A1957.jpeg
    B4217D8D-6750-4E9D-B77B-095E101A1957.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 75
My AX88U (386.8) has some new strange issue where ping times will slowly escalate from ~30ms all the way up to ~300ms, then suddenly fall back to normal.

I'm also seeing issues with streaming video services on the TV that will randomly drop to the worst possible quality level (240p/360p) then slowly ramp up again to 4K.

I have Frontier 1Gbps fiber internet. This is a new issue and was not happening before. The regularity of the ping time escalations leads me to believe the issue is local to the router.

The device sending pings is connected to the main router, not the AiMesh remote AP.

Just checked it here,
Apple.com ping is every 10sec gets a timeout, ping to IPv4 address of sort (from Israel, around 60ms).
Checked google.com and facebook.com. both IPv6 address ping and avg of 60ms and no issues of ping spikes at all

Did you try to ping the IP-addresses instead of the URL?
Just checked it here,
Apple.com ping is every 10sec gets a timeout, ping to IPv4 address of sort (from Israel, around 60ms).
Checked google.com and facebook.com. both IPv6 address ping and avg of 60ms and no issues of ping spikes at all
Same here!

ping -4 -t on www.tagesschau.de works without timeouts.
So I think it´s an "applething"....

Last edited:
Did you try to ping the IP-addresses instead of the URL?

Same here!

ping -4 -t on www.tagesschau.de works without timeouts.
So I think it´s an "applething"....
I got similar results pinging facebook.com, so it isn't just an "Apfelsach."

Pinging the IP makes no difference. The ping utility performs the DNS lookup once at the beginning and uses the IP address going forward (until you ctrl-C to stop it).

Anyway the problem went away by the evening and QoS was still enabled (I had forgotten about it). Still, I will have to see if the problem returns tomorrow. If so, I will continue investigating.

You are with H/W A1.1, I am with A1 .... That is the difference. Seems to be that 386.8 increased the CPU temperature with 5 degrees on H/W A1 ...
After your post I have been taking a look to my AX88U router temps and they have suffered an increase of 5-6 degrees (at idle, with same CPU load) with regards to previous FW. With 386.5_2, I had usually 64 degrees celsius , and now it is always between 69-71 (similar room temp). WIFI CHIPs temp is more or less the same than before.

My HW revision is A1.1. So maybe is not related only to HW revision but to something else ...

This time I made a clean install, so maybe some variable was changed to a default value now ..., and perhaps with a dirty update it should not be changed :confused:.

After your post I have been taking a look to my AX88U router temps and they have suffered an increase of 5-6 degrees (at idle, with same CPU load) with regards to previous FWA;;With 386.5_2, I had usually 64 degrees celsius , and now it is always between 69-71 (similar room temp). WIFI CHIPs temp is more or less the same than before.

My HW revision is A1.1. So maybe is not related only to HW revision but to something else ...

This time I made a clean install, so maybe some variable was changed to a default value now ..., and perhaps with a dirty update it should not be changed :confused:.
The same is with my router. BTW I reverted back to 386.7_2 and the CPU temperature didn't changed - again it is 5-6 degrees higher. Then upgraded again to 386.8 - no change. All transitions 386.7_2->386.8->386.7_2->386.8 were dirty. May be I should try a factory reset, but it requires permission from the big boss (my wife) as the internet access will be out of service for a longer time .... :)

Merlin,

Asus just released

GT-AXE 11000 Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499 Firmware​

Will you add this to the beta releases?

CC

Merlin,

Asus just released

GT-AXE 11000 Version 3.0.0.4.388.20499 Firmware​

Will you add this to the beta releases?

CC
Asus firmware releases are useless to me. I work with source code, not binary firmwares. And I haven't received any 388 source code yet.

damit i meant is there a new version in works
Not at the moment.

I just checked facebook.com not seeing this.

1661801138606.png

What would create these port forwarding entries even if port forwarding is disabled? Notice these entries since 386.8 firmware update of RT-AX88U.
port forward.jpg

Do you have any devices in Parental Controls with Time Scheduling or Block Internet?

Do you have any devices in Parental Controls with Time Scheduling or Block Internet?
No.

Update: Found it! Two iot clients that I blocked internet access created those entries but to understand, do they make sense?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!