What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.8 is now available for specific models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can someone please explain what is going on and which port on the AX88U is having this problem:

Code:
Sep  7 18:49:33 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
Sep  7 18:49:35 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 10 mbps full duplex
Sep  7 20:47:35 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
Sep  7 20:47:39 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Sep  7 21:37:49 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
Sep  7 21:37:52 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 1000 mbps full duplex
Sep  7 23:03:47 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link DOWN.
Sep  7 23:03:50 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) (phyId: 9) Link UP at 10 mbps full duplex

Running 386.8

No problem to report for almost 25 days. WAN/LAN/WIFI/VPN are very stable (AX88U)
Nothing special in the logs either.
Sans titre 1.png

Can someone please explain what is going on and which port on the AX88U is having this problem:
Dropping to 10 Mbps often indicate that the device was powered down, and it was waiting for a WOL signal.

Those logs kinda look like something I saw one time when I connected a buggy ethernet switch to the router.
It can also be caused by a bad switch or cable indeed. The fact that it flip-flops between 10 and 1000 Mbps makes me suspect it could be a device going into standby mode.

The only issue (I learned to live with) is the fact Roaming Assistant is not working as before/ optimization is not making any optimization.
If anyone by a chance got a wizdom- how to make it work as before- would be appreciated.

Got devices which are indicated as weak link with -80dBm or so and connecting to a node more far than they should.
Something with the mechanism/ algorithm is not making sense- or the fact the drivers are fixed made it so stable so it cannot even reconnect in the network?

1662663726384.png

1662663549994.png

Last edited:
I notice that 386.8 has a snmp admin page for my router, anyone using it? any tips on config/use?
thanks

1662823047975.png

After 2 power outages and 5 reboots.
Only the roaming inside the network keeping me crazy, but everything other than that is incredibly rock solid.

Everything is running smoothly and no wireless disconnects for many IOT devices - RT-AX88U rev A1

1662923550212.png

Hi @RMerlin could you or can anyone else please assist me with working out why IPv6 DDNS does not appear to work on my router when using the asuscomm.com service.

AFAIK IPV6 is working correctly (https://test-ipv6.com/index.html.en_US, https://ipv6-test.com/, etc report all is fine). My ISP is Sky in the UK (VDSL2 80/20) and IPv6 is configured as
View attachment 43762
If relevant
Sky uses DHCP Option 61 to validate the connection
DNS Filter is On and set to Router
DNS lookups for both IPv4 and IPv6 are routed via Unbound through my WireGuard VPN provider (AzireVPN)

If I set the DDNS IPv6 Update at No, then when I test with https://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php then I just get the WAN IPv4 address.

However if I change DDNS IPv6 Update to Yes, then I still just get the IPv4 address and the DDNS page now reports
View attachment 43763
Looking in the logs I can see the following being repeated

Code:
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 watchdog: start ddns.
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 rc_service: watchdog 1246:notify_rc start_ddns watchdog
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: start ddns)
Aug 22 18:27:19 RT-AX88U-5050 ddns: eth0 has not yet obtained an WAN IPv6 address.(2)
Which suggests that the DDNS for IPv6 is looking for a WAN address on eth0, which is something I do not have.

Looking at ifconfig I can see that while br0 is showing a Global IPv6 address (inet6 addr: Scope:Global) , eth0 only has a local one (Scope:Link)

If anyone reading has the same (or similar) setup (386.8, asuscomm DDNS, Sky VDSL, IPv6), is the IPv6 DDNS working for you and if so how are your settings different from mine?

Other than the DDNS issue, 386.8 appears to be working fine.

Thank you, Archiel
I have the same issue with Verizon FIOS IPV6 in MA, USA (including the logs regarding eth0).

As a temporary work-around - I put this in the file /jffs/scripts/dhcpc-event which seems to make it work
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ $1 = "bound" ]
then
existing_ip6=`ip address show dev eth0 scope global | grep inet6 | awk '{print $2}'`
ip address del $existing_ip6 dev eth0
ip address add dev eth0 `nvram get ipv6_rtr_addr`/`nvram get ipv6_prefix_len_wan`
fi

It can also be caused by a bad switch or cable indeed. The fact that it flip-flops between 10 and 1000 Mbps makes me suspect it could be a device going into standby mode.
Which UTP-port on the AX88U is having this problem? Port 1?

The problem is on the devices-side, not on router-side.

Hi. Newbie here. I Upgraded my RT-AX88U from V386.7_2 to V386.8 via dirty upgrade yesterday, never had a problem before 386.8, but now I lose my internet connection every few hours and have to restart the router.
I'm not sure why (I've attached the log), or what to do about it...
Thanks.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    482.1 KB · Views: 75
Welcome!
After a real long period of dirty updates with my ax88u up to 386.8 I had to do a clean install because of issues with guestnets 2/3. No everything is working as expected.
I think it´s time for you to do a clean install from scratch?

Hi. Newbie here. I Upgraded my RT-AX88U from V386.7_2 to V386.8 via dirty upgrade yesterday, never had a problem before 386.8, but now I lose my internet connection every few hours and have to restart the router.
Thanks.

Had same issues.
Just start from scratch, this SDK mess with some routers.

Thanks.
So I downgraded to 386.7_2 on my main router, but still losing internet connection to WAN every few hours, I had installed an AiMesh node router for the first time, while at the same time upgrading both RT-AX88U routers to 386.8, so I assumed it was the firmware upgrade that caused the problem, but it appears it may actually be a problem with AiMesh itself and not the firmware (I'm using ethernet backhaul), as I found references to others with the same issue...

So I downgraded to 386.7_2 on my main router, but still losing internet connection to WAN every few hours, I had installed an AiMesh node router for the first time, while at the same time upgrading both RT-AX88U routers to 386.8, so I assumed it was the firmware upgrade that caused the problem, but it appears it may actually be a problem with AiMesh itself and not the firmware (I'm using ethernet backhaul), as I found references to others with the same issue...
Did you start from scratch as we recommanded? Downgrading will not solve your problem.

Save your settings / JFFS partition (if needed) and give yourself a try with an minimum-configuration from scratch (without any usb-devices) and see if it works.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!