What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, it`s just the interface Asus uses when pairing a Repeater that I made available as a standalone page. So nothing fancy really.
@RMerlin Always so humble...
IMO the Broadcom WiFi interface looks so darn outta-place & is totally inconsistent with most of the Web-GUI.
But even worse... it's not very intuitive to use.
Feel free to replace it :cool:

Hello, I have an AXE16000 and 2x XT 12, I installed all 3 with the Merlin Beta 388.1, I reset all 3 devices and wanted to connect them again as a mash (WLAN 5Ghz-2), I didn't get a mesh connection set up, the AXE16000 has the XT 12 not found

it seems to be a bug in the firmware - has anyone else tested it?

I could only reinstall the official firmware - with that I could reconnect all devices via mesh and then have the upd. made on beta 388.1 - WITHOUT reset - works for now..

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-09 um 19.55.08.png

Bug: Chinese font

Looks like i will be upgrading to an ax88u. Found a nice deal. and then eventually replace my two ac68u with a ax86 ones.

IMO the Broadcom WiFi interface looks so darn outta-place & is totally inconsistent with most of the Web-GUI.
But even worse... it's not very intuitive to use.
The reason I like it is because it provides really useful information, such as the occupancy percentage of a given channel (which is much more important when trying to chose a channel than the signal strength of the neighbours).

The reason I like it is because it provides really useful information, such as the occupancy percentage of a given channel (which is much more important when trying to chose a channel than the signal strength of the neighbours).
Thank you for that tidbit of information (Seems I have more reading to do).
I had always thought that avoiding the neighbors channels with a strong signal was enough.

@RMerlin All I did this time to create a DNS leak is apply changes in QOS bandwidth Monitor. The plot thickens. On this router you can't do much without it creating a DNS leak with the Wireguard client.

All I did this time to create a DNS leak is apply changes in QOS bandwidth Monitor. The plot thickens.
As I said before, anything that restarts the firewall will wipe the DNS redirection rule.

As I said before, anything that restarts the firewall will wipe the DNS redirection rule.
Okay I get it now, sorry. This is a steep learning curve for me.

It would seem though, what is persistent is, the DNS Director rule. It seems to override everything else, in all these situations. What isn't persistent is the Wireguard DNS rule, it is constantly overridden by almost anything, even a reboot. IMHO

This screenshot is from 386.2_6, the version I'm still currently using. I don't know how it looks in 388 version.

1668047562777.png

My question is, would it be possible, as an option in 388, to have a drop down box to select desired refresh rate? As it is now it's every 2 seconds. Is this very CPU demanding? I don't know if the refresh is still going on when webpage is not loaded. I don't plan to spend half an hour just looking at it but I would sometimes like to have it much faster to monitor a few minutes. Maybe there is a command in teminal mode we can send?

My question is, would it be possible, as an option in 388, to have a drop down box to select desired refresh rate?
I don't plan to, sorry.

Beta-1 is running fine at the moment but I have 1 question: IPV6 traffic is still not routed through OVPN or Wireguard tunnel.
Did I do something wrong or is it (still?) not supported?

@RMerlin
I don't know if it is just me, i did even a clean install, i have an axe11000, using beta 1 with asus stock ui not rog.
But the checkbox "Auto select channel including channel 12, 13" does not do anything, after save it just resets to unchecked, and tried all settings combinations possible, cleaned all browser data and forced no cache in browser to make sure everything is updated.

Is this a bug? or just not an option really available any more, or maybe i am making any mistake and should be used in a specific settings combination i didn't get ok.
Thx for your work anyway, everything else is working perfectly. :)

1668086562320.png

Last edited:
Beta-1 is running fine at the moment but I have 1 question: IPV6 traffic is still not routed through OVPN or Wireguard tunnel.
I am still waiting for a window (i.e. empty house) before I update but AFAIK there is no immediate intention to update the OVPN client to support IPv6. Wireguard does support IPV6 if you go via Wireguard - Session Manager (4th) thread | SmallNetBuilder Forums (snbforums.com) but I do not know if/how you could do this via VPN Director. At least part of the problem is that that if you are using SLAAC (Stateless) as I am, then the IPV6 addresses of the clients will change on a regular basis. This can be handled (with Wireguard manager) by using DNSFilter/DNSDirector to reserve the IPv4 address to its MAC address and then using MAC Ipsets to attach the Ipsets to the Wireguard client.

What I don't know is how/if you can add a MAC Ipset to Policy Rules in VPN Director, or if there is another way of accommodating dynamic IPv6 client addresses in it - @RMerlin is the best person to advise on what he currently intends there - @Martineau and @ZebMcKayhan may also have some ideas on this.

IPv6 not supported with VPN clients.

So you think RT-AC5300 won't see the 388.X updates?
AC models will stay on 386.

Installed Merlin 388.1 beta 1 and no problems. What i really like: on the network map you see the system status instead of the wireless.

And on the wireless the wpa-psk keys is not written out explicitly unless you click on the field.

What i would like is a choice so it shows the "traffic analyzer - statistics" directly when going to "traffic analyzer" and "traffic monitor" if you choose to not activate the "traffic analyzer - statistics", that would be nice and save me one click :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.