What's new

Beta Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 Beta is available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put 388.1_beta2 on my RT_AX86U and it was not noted as changing. But I still find that if DNS Directors redirect to Router is enabled Android devices using Private DNS can not use the wifi from the RT-AX86U.
The Android device will simply say the RT-AX86U WiFi has no internet and private dns cannot be accessed.
Currently I have turned off DNS Directors redirect to Router and instead set No Redirection.

I want to use DNS Director to ensure DNS traffic on my network of devices that can not encrypt their own DNS is encrypted. EG when a device is not set to use the Asus router as the DNS server because DNS setting is not exposed or locked by some other admin.
I also want to ensure Android devices are always using encrypted DNS for when they are not connected to the RT-AX86U, eg random wifi or carrier data etc.

Currently the 388.1 is making me chose to not automatically encrypt unencrypted DNS traffic for devices connected to the router or force all Android users on the network to turn off their system wide DNS encryption.
This worked fine under 386 when Android devices encrypted their own data and the router automatically redirecting any DNS traffic from other devices that was not encrypted.

Perhaps this block of device DoT was put in place to ensure DNS filtering applies (excluding DoH that still successfully bypasses), but I do not not use DNS filtering I am only interested in the encryption side of DNS Director.

Is there a switch to say to not block a device that is already using DoT?

Last edited:
Works for me.
@RMerlin Let me be more specific, I have a device that is part of a CIDR I use to route through the VPN. If I take one of those clients, an old Linux computer, And set DNS Director to have that computer use 192.168.50.1 as DNS, and apply the change, it doesn't affect the device at all. It leaves it with the Wireguard hard coded DNS. As reported by DNS leak test. What have I done here that is different than you? DNS Director is set to "Router" as I have it all the time. It doesn't matter if I leave it just like that or hard code the routers IP into it, like this image below. My CIDR is a small one, it's 192.168.50.16/28 a group of 14 addresses.

UPDATE: The CIDR has nothing to do with it. I tried another device, still not working right. I'll reset to defaults if you recommend it.

Attachments

• RT-AX88UDNS-Director.png
    RT-AX88UDNS-Director.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
What is doing sysstate?
It is consuming plenty of CPU time:
1668246177129.png

and even the drive reading is high:
1668246230859.png

on beta 1 it wasnt happenning, but on previous alphas was same situation.

Router is AX88U with beta2

Think I found a small GUI-glitch... Under both 2,4 and 5 Ghz I see only "Enable" as the only choice under "Enable WMM". Tried both Brave and Firefox after full browser-cache wipe.

Screenshot from 2022-11-12 10-48-49.png

Hi guys,

Trying the 388 beta1 on AX86U, and i have a question.

How do i reset the Wireguard Client Settings to default?

In OpenVPN i can see it in the lower end of the page, but not in the Wireguard page...

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 10.45.48.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 10.45.48.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 10.46.15.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 10.46.15.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 56
Hi guys,

Trying the 388 beta1 on AX86U, and i have a question.

How do i reset the Wireguard Client Settings to default?

In OpenVPN i can see it in the lower end of the page, but not in the Wireguard page...
Try Beta 2

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 11.04.53.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 11.04.53.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 11.05.36.png
    Captura de ecrã 2022-11-12, às 11.05.36.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi,

I upgraded to Beta 2, and still don't see the option to "default" the wireguard config page...

Was also searching for this earlier, but I just manually stopped that client that I didnt want to use.

Reporting in also. Ive been running newest beta for about 2-3 hours now. Installed without any problems.

Only issue im having is download and upload speeds. Im running 1 gigabit fiber connection, but every game download maxes about at 20MB/s. Tried downloading from Steam, Origin and Epic games. Usually they download at 80-90MB/s.

I wanted to give Wireguard a new shot. I routed connection from VPN Director to my NAS and been monitoring its connection for a while now. Yesterday on beta1 it would max out torrent speeds at about 18MB/s but it would constantly drop out of connections right after it would peak. Now on beta2 the speeds are constant but are around 4-7MB/s, but atleast its not dropping connections.

Aside from download/upload speeds everything is running perfectly. Wifi, IoT devices, scripts and OpenVPN server for my family members is working.

Edit: Ah totally forgot... DDNS isnt working properly. Its giving me same error as on beta1.

Hi,

I upgraded to Beta 2, and still don't see the option to "default" the wireguard config page...
There is no way to just clear the Wireguard fields. Just configure over top or import a configuration file.

Updated beta1 to beta 2, all went fine - no issues identified

On the new beta1 and beta 2, I can't connect to a modem plugged into the WAN port from remote client if the router is an OpenVPN client. But all local clients of this router have access to this modem.

Also, if the router is in OpenVPN server mode, then all clients also have access, local and remote The problem is when the router is in OpenVPN client mode. There is no access only to the modem inserted in the WAN , access to local clients from another network work fine. Rollback to the previous firmware solves the problem.

Last edited:
I just installed the beta2 on my AX88 router without problems.
My first impression is that it appears to be working fine in my environment. Some (GUI) fixes have been done, such as the one I reported: thank you for that :)

Now there is a thing I noticed. Maybe this behavior is as it should be but I am not sure... There has been a discussion going on about DNS in this thread, but I am not sure if that is related to what I noticed....

I've set my DNS settings as shown in the screenshots below...

WAN settings:
1668257763254.png

1668259196749.png

DNS Director:
1668257817072.png

Description of the issue:
If I configure an OpenVPN client connection with the following set in the custom configuration field:
dhcp-option DNS 76.76.2.2

then it behaves as expected: It overrides the 'default' settings in the WAN dialog (1.1.1.1 - Cloudfare)
DNS requests are sent to the correct DNS server (www.dnsleaktest.com)
DNS mode is set to 'exclusive'.
So no issues here..

However, if I configure an Wireguard client connection with the following set in the DNS server (Optional) field: 76.76.2.2

then it does not behave as expected. Most of the times it uses the default 1.1.1.1 DNS server.
Sometimes right after a disconnect/reconnect of the WG client it uses the correct DNS server, but after some time it starts using the default DNS server 1.1.1.1 again...
Is this an issue ? I assume this isn't normal (or is it?)...

Note: The beta1 firmware behaves the same.

Edit: Now it looks like DNS is working as expected: The DNS server in WG client configuration is used instead of the default DNS server. I will keep an eye on this and if it happens again, I will report it :)

Last edited:
@RMerlin Let me be more specific, I have a device that is part of a CIDR I use to route through the VPN. If I take one of those clients, an old Linux computer, And set DNS Director to have that computer use 192.168.50.1 as DNS, and apply the change, it doesn't affect the device at all. It leaves it with the Wireguard hard coded DNS. As reported by DNS leak test. What have I done here that is different than you? DNS Director is set to "Router" as I have it all the time. It doesn't matter if I leave it just like that or hard code the routers IP into it, like this image below. My CIDR is a small one, it's 192.168.50.16/28 a group of 14 addresses.

UPDATE: The CIDR has nothing to do with it. I tried another device, still not working right. I'll reset to defaults if you recommend it.
Hi Skeal, would you mind explaining what’s the difference between the Wan DNS section to the Lan DNS section. And how dns director effecting each one of them? Thx

Updateed my router's today and working fine, continue to monitor.

Thanks for new software!

Hi Skeal, would you mind explaining what’s the difference between the Wan DNS section to the Lan DNS section. And how dns director effecting each one of them? Thx
WAN DNS is used to resolve addresses that your devices connected to the router need access to. DNS director is a means of getting a different DNS server to work with a device otherwise using something else.
Example: I have a Wireguard VPN. I run devices through it. The VPN is configured with DNS servers used by my VPN provider. Sometimes I find a need to change the DNS on a device but not the routing through the VPN. This can be accomplished with DNS Director.

I hope this helped.

AX88U and AX56U.
Bunpy ride here.

From Beta1 to Beta2 it was not smooth at all and demanded a whole system reboot to stabllize the system, in Alpha version (pre beta test), mostly smooth upgrade to Beta1.

Two systems needed reboot.
Now after a reboot, running for a 20m.

Will monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.