What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 388.2 is now available for select models

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to 388.2 yesterday. Formatted everything after installing the new update so setting up and installing AMTM scripts like conmon, vnstat, adguard, unbound, and I can say this update may have improved RAM usage handling. It's more efficient in handling RAM usage when I have adguard and unbound turned on at the same time.

Thanks for the update!

1681523730506.png

I am using RT-AX86U.

I expect the Trend Micro related features to work properly in 388.3.
For both Official and Merlin, the Web History, Traffic Analyzer, AiProtection counts, and signature auto-updates stopped working on the 388 firmware within a few days of startup.
In addition to that, with 388.2, I no longer receive AiProtection alert emails.
Factory reset did not solve the problem.

On 3.0.0.4.386.49599 it works fine for months.

Dirty upgrade from beta2 to 388.2 more the a day ago. UI restart issue I had on beta2 seems to be fixed now. No noticable issues further also for my setup.

Dirty stinking filthy upgrade from previous alpha and beta releases on THREE AX86U here (two on WAN miles away) and smooth as butter for a few days now since release. For me, Wifi more stable than previous release (.386/388.1) with a couple of "older" devices using AC that were random in disconnections on older release despite being clear of other access points around and radar etc.

Pleased so far, thanks Merlin :)

Anything that causes changes to the network interface can potentially cause the removal of ARP entries. Could be anything you run that isn't part of the firmware, could be AiMesh reconfiguring the network... You will have to start eliminating elements on your end to figure out what triggers it on your particular setup.
When you released 388.2beta1, I did a clean install of it. I only set up a connection to my provider and immediately added a static entry to the ARP, and it disappeared after a few minutes. Nothing that is not part of the firmware was installed at that time. And i don’t have an aimesh, only a single rt-ax86u router.

When you released 388.2beta1, I did a clean install of it. I only set up a connection to my provider and immediately added a static entry to the ARP, and it disappeared after a few minutes. Nothing that is not part of the firmware was installed at that time. And i don’t have an aimesh, only a single rt-ax86u router.
Yeah same here... ive got clean ax86upro and only static dhcp assignments...
Yesterday i was playing around with dhcp / dnsmasq...

Just to share my settings:
1681555556525.png

My dhcp range:
1681555602779.png

For mac FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:
1681555673519.png

First i do for testing (i know :FA and :FD wont work for wol... but its to check when they dissapear):
Bash:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX86U_PRO 388.2_0 Wed Apr 12 19:43:48 UTC 2023
admin@ROUTER:/tmp/home/root# arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.100 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX #actual mac
admin@ROUTER:/tmp/home/root# arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.3 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FA
admin@ROUTER:/tmp/home/root# arp -i br0 -s 192.168.1.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
admin@ROUTER:/tmp/home/root#

Ive made a simple bash scripts that checks every 5s if PERM arp is still there...
Bash:
#!/bin/bash
while [ true ]
do
  echo $(date) $(arp | grep PERM)
  sleep 5;
done

Result on start:
1681556626098.png

Attachments

• 1681555560837.png
    1681555560837.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Just checked my arp table now and:
1681559312067.png

A bunch of incomplete entries, i don't recall seeing this behaviour before.... but i'm not sure if it happened before. Perhaps it's because now i have some devices that don't have a static ip.

Gonna revert it to 388.1, just in case.

Just checked my arp table now and:
View attachment 49341

A bunch of incomplete entries, i don't recall seeing this behaviour before.... but i'm not sure if it happened before. Perhaps it's because now i have some devices that don't have a static ip.

Gonna revert it to 388.1, just in case.
This sometimes happens shortly after rebooting the router. If you want to see only valid entries, use the
Code:
arp -a
command.
And you can use 388.2alpha1, static entrys in ARP are stored in it as expected. Also, 388.2alpha1 is stable for me and contains some important improvements that 388.1 does not have.

This sometimes happens shortly after rebooting the router. If you want to see only valid entries, use the
Code:
arp -a
command.
And you can use 388.2alpha1, static entrys in ARP are stored in it as expected. Also, 388.2alpha1 is stable for me and contains some important improvements that 388.1 does not have.
Gonna give it a try, thank you.

First random reboot occured just now on 388.2. Was running normally for about 2 days.

Man, 33 devices stable for 48h now.
No need to touch anything, to reboot anything- to do anything!
I hope it will stay for longer time!

arp issues?... I'll wait a while to upgrade...
Wait for what exactly?

36 hours later, my static ARP entry is still there.

This is not a general firmware issue.

There might be a total of 10 users that for some reason need ARP static entries. 99.9% of users will never need that, and it's been shown that that issue does not happen to everyone either.

2+ days, after dirty upgrades through testing FWs, a few observations:
- no issues with lan/wan
- having never used a vpn on router, until these testing FWs, I am pleased with the speeds and ease of setup
- using the 160Mhz seems to be working well with capable laptops.
Disclosure, I rarely look at the router logs for two reasons:
1. There are more than enough Forum Members looking at the logs.
2. I have zero comprehension of the logs ;)

2+ days, after dirty upgrades through testing FWs, a few observations:
- no issues with lan/wan
- having never used a vpn on router, until these testing FWs, I am pleased with the speeds and ease of setup
- using the 160Mhz seems to be working well with capable laptops.
Disclosure, I rarely look at the router logs for two reasons:
1. There are more than enough Forum Members looking at the logs.
2. I have zero comprehension of the logs ;)
I'm with you on the logs for both points!

Wait for what exactly?

36 hours later, my static ARP entry is still there.

This is not a general firmware issue.

There might be a total of 10 users that for some reason need ARP static entries. 99.9% of users will never need that, and it's been shown that that issue does not happen to everyone either.
Can you share settings that are active for your GT-AXE16000(?)

wan ip
lan ip
ip range dhcp
are there manual dhcp reservations
lan dns 1 and 2
wan dns
maybe dnsmasq.conf? without actual mac addresses...

Ive got the feeling it has something todo with dnsmasq... if i 'service restart_dnsmasq', entries er gone, except for active / online devices.

if not, no hard feelings...
Already enjoying this stable as f#ck ax86upro with 388.x merlin. Its fast... no dropouts for wifi that i suffered from on my previous r7000 (ddwrt and freshtomato)
And really like your imrpovements on top of official fw 👍👌

Status
Not open for further replies.