What's new

AdGuardHome Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer (AMAGHI) cont.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have been running AdGuardHome for a few months and over the weekend it crashed. Started troubleshooting today and getting a strange error "...UUUU: File name too long" when starting the service. System log didn't provide any insight. Thought it was related to a corrupted file so I stopped the service uninstall and tried reinstalling but I am still getting the same error. Installing via amtm and curl result in the same issue. Anyone have any suggestions greatly appreciated. Please advise if any further details required. Thanks

Router: AX86u
Merlin: 386.7_2

View attachment 47251
Here is what my terminal looks like on the RT-AX88U.

1673920522908.png

This is with firmware 388.1 Merlin.

Attachments

• 1673920489624.png
    1673920489624.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 51
First time I have seen this myself. On a fresh terminal, what output do you get echo $PATH
I don't like to ask for help unless I have put in some work. So I feel better now knowing that you haven't seen this issue.

Output: /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/admin:/mmc/sbin:/mmc/bin:/mmc/usr/sbin:/mmc/usr/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/sbin:/opt/usr/bin

Thanks BTW for your nice implementation of AdGuardHome.

I don't like to ask for help unless I have put in some work. So I feel better now knowing that you haven't seen this issue.

Output: /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/home/admin:/mmc/sbin:/mmc/bin:/mmc/usr/sbin:/mmc/usr/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/sbin:/opt/usr/bin

Thanks BTW for your nice implementation of AdGuardHome.
From what I can tell, my output is slightly different than yours so, but that might not have anything to do with is since I have not seen the issue with either local or entware binaries.

I see the same for a split second (top half anyway) and than spams it "...UUU..."
This issue you are seeing could also be a SSH Terminal bug. I am honestly not 100 percent sure. You could try using a different SSH terminal and see if that is the problem.

Hopefully someone has some knowledge on what could be producing the output. Otherwise it even could possibly be as you said something corrupt.

Hi all, I have a few questions regarding Adguard. I have been using it for a relatively long time but have a few criticisms:

- Unblocking individual requests that are in a block list ends up with very long loading times because Adguard is not accessible. This can only be resolved by restarting the router.
- Removing block lists results in eternal loading times, even though the entry only receives 10 DNS addresses.
- When the router is restarted, Adguard needs a very long time until it becomes active and an Internet connection can be displayed.

Is such behaviour normal or how do you handle this?

Hi all, I have a few questions regarding Adguard. I have been using it for a relatively long time but have a few criticisms:

- Unblocking individual requests that are in a block list ends up with very long loading times because Adguard is not accessible. This can only be resolved by restarting the router.
- Removing block lists results in eternal loading times, even though the entry only receives 10 DNS addresses.
- When the router is restarted, Adguard needs a very long time until it becomes active and an Internet connection can be displayed.

Is such behaviour normal or how do you handle this?
These are not normal behaviors, but it sounds like you could be using too big of a block list or using up too much of your router memory as it suggest your router is delaying the process because it is waiting to come up with the necessary resources to complete the next task.

Please share more information about your network topology for better troubleshooting.

Example:
Router is:?
Firmware version is:?
Blocklists used are:?
Other user scripts ran are:?
Total router memory usage percentage is:?

Router is: RT-AX86U
Firmware version is: 388.1
Blocklists used are: some, about 1.5 million entries
Other user scripts ran are: see appendices.
Total router memory usage percentage is: see appendices.

Enclosed is the information.
Under Diversion, I had the same block lists and about 1.8 million entries there. This did not cause any problems there.

What surprises me is that when deleting sources, the load on Adguard is very low (<2%) and the router runs almost idle. But no progress can be seen (Adguard website cannot be updated).

Attachments

• amtm.PNG
    amtm.PNG
    95.5 KB · Views: 88
  • block 1.2.PNG
    block 1.2.PNG
    156.4 KB · Views: 82
  • block 2.2.PNG
    block 2.2.PNG
    183.2 KB · Views: 86
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    117.6 KB · Views: 83
  • pid.PNG
    pid.PNG
    162.8 KB · Views: 83
From what I can tell, my output is slightly different than yours so, but that might not have anything to do with is since I have not seen the issue with either local or entware binaries.

This issue you are seeing could also be a SSH Terminal bug. I am honestly not 100 percent sure. You could try using a different SSH terminal and see if that is the problem.

Hopefully someone has some knowledge on what could be producing the output. Otherwise it even could possibly be as you said something corrupt.
Not a terminal issue as I just tried it with another terminal. I believe the issue is happening on the detection section of your script. As data is being populated a variable is being set with a value that is too large. Hence the file name too long. Is there a log in the install and uninstall process?

Not a terminal issue as I just tried it with another terminal. I believe the issue is happening on the detection section of your script. As data is being populated a variable is being set with a value that is too large. Hence the file name too long. Is there a log in the install and uninstall process?
Yea I am not sure what variable is too large, but I am running it just fine on the RTAX88U with no variable issues. And other users run it just fine on other model routers running asuswrt merlin firmware. It is hard to say what could be the cause. It actually sounds like there may be an issue with the firmware specific to that router. That doesn't sound normal at all. I imagine on earlier firmware versions you were not having this issue correct? I remember you mentioning you just started having these problems.

Have been running AdGuardHome for a few months and over the weekend it crashed. Started troubleshooting today and getting a strange error "...UUUU: File name too long" when starting the service. System log didn't provide any insight. Thought it was related to a corrupted file so I stopped the service uninstall and tried reinstalling but I am still getting the same error. Installing via amtm and curl result in the same issue. Anyone have any suggestions greatly appreciated. Please advise if any further details required. Thanks

Router: AX86u
Merlin: 386.7_2

View attachment 47251

Here are some troubleshooting steps:

Try passing the sh -x argument when running the installer. It is possible NVRAM is corrupt or hanging.

Maybe the USB storage (or Entware) you are using has gone corrupt. You could try installing with a new USB storage.

Maybe you are experiencing side effects or "bugs" that were not previously noticed in your current firmware version.

Maybe your router is running out of memory in your NVRAM or JFFS (you would need to do a factory reset and purge your NVRAM).

All of these issues are external causes which could be producing undesired consequencies for which I cannot determine myself since I am not experiencing this concern. You would have to conduct an Audit of your setup. Determine no external factor are the cause, and then I will try to troubleshoot on my end. As of right now I am chasing an issue I cannot reproduce myself.

Also, if you are using amtm to access the installer , you could try using the terminal download command instead. (This is incase you have a bady copy of the installer or are having issues with amtm.)

Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer

Last edited:
Yea I am not sure what variable is too large, but I am running it just fine on the RTAX88U with no variable issues. And other users run it just fine on other model routers running asuswrt merlin firmware. It is hard to say what could be the cause. It actually sounds like there may be an issue with the firmware specific to that router. That doesn't sound normal at all. I imagine on earlier firmware versions you were not having this issue correct? I remember you mentioning you just started having these problems.

Here are some troubleshooting steps:

Try passing the sh -x argument when running the installer. It is possible NVRAM is corrupt or hanging.

Maybe the USB storage (or Entware) you are using has gone corrupt. You could try installing with a new USB storage.

Maybe you are experiencing side effects or "bugs" that were not previously noticed in your current firmware version.

Maybe your router is running out of memory in your NVRAM or JFFS (you would need to do a factory reset and purge your NVRAM).

All of these issues are external causes which could be producing undesired consequencies for which I cannot determine myself since I am not experiencing this concern. You would have to conduct an Audit of your setup. Determine no external factor are the cause, and then I will try to troubleshoot on my end. As of right now I am chasing an issue I cannot reproduce myself.

Also, if you are using amtm to access the installer , you could try using the terminal download command instead. (This is incase you have a bady copy of the installer or are having issues with amtm.)

Code:
curl -L -s -k -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/Asuswrt-Merlin-AdGuardHome-Installer/master/installer && sh installer
Nuked and Paved the USB. Everything is working again. I don't have allot of addons so it was easy in my case.

BTW do you know a site that goes through all of AdGuard features in detail? https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki? Thanks

Nuked and Paved the USB. Everything is working again. I don't have allot of addons so it was easy in my case.

BTW do you know a site that goes through all of AdGuard features in detail? https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/wiki? Thanks
The wiki is the best adguardhome source. It took me several days of glancing over it before I even felt comfortable writing the installer script and init shell scripts for adguardhome. Adguardhome is not one of those projects that sit too long without features changing. It is continuously changing between beta and edge editions so the best source of information on it is their wiki. They are always adding to and improving the wiki as adguardhome continues to grow.

Router is: RT-AX86U
Firmware version is: 388.1
Blocklists used are: some, about 1.5 million entries
Other user scripts ran are: see appendices.
Total router memory usage percentage is: see appendices.

Enclosed is the information.
Under Diversion, I had the same block lists and about 1.8 million entries there. This did not cause any problems there.

What surprises me is that when deleting sources, the load on Adguard is very low (<2%) and the router runs almost idle. But no progress can be seen (Adguard website cannot be updated).

You have too many lists and many duplicated ones from different sources.

The majority of your lists already have some of the other lists in as they are made up of several other lists.

OISD Full and Extra should be sufficient coverage and greatly reduce your duplicated lists and entries.

That's a BETA, not an official release
Yeah, just realized it is not included in this beta yet.
The beta version v0.108.0-b.25 does include them, so those who require it can temporarily switch to that version.

Going to try it out...
Code:
=>  Do you want to switch AdGuardHome builds? [y/n]: y
Info:  Choose which build of AdGuardHome to install:
  1) Release
  2) Beta
  3) Edge
=>  Select your mode, [1-3]: 1
Info:  New RELEASE ADGUARDHOME_VER=v0.107.22 Available!
Info:  Updating ADGUARDHOME_VER=v0.108.0-b.25 to v0.107.22 .

Looks good with a simple drop-down menu on the bottom right.

1674213172389.png

I change back to beta, and yet the drop-down menu still available. Not sure if it will still persists after a reboot.
1674214025343.png

Last edited:
username and password set during installation doesnt work
I went ahead with a password change, and got this error

ImportError: bad magic number in 'bcrypt': b''

Is there a way to check/confirm that AGH is indeed using DoT/DoH as intended?

I have my upstreams set to use Quad9's DoT and DoH servers, but when running the Protocol Test from their website (https://support.quad9.net/hc/en-us/articles/10514256222349) I receive a response saying i'm only using do53-udp (53/UDP - Plaintext) and not DoH or DoT.

Also very few entries are marked as validated with DNSSEC - is this also correct?

Is there a way to check/confirm that AGH is indeed using DoT/DoH as intended?

I have my upstreams set to use Quad9's DoT and DoH servers, but when running the Protocol Test from their website (https://support.quad9.net/hc/en-us/articles/10514256222349) I receive a response saying i'm only using do53-udp (53/UDP - Plaintext) and not DoH or DoT.

Also very few entries are marked as validated with DNSSEC - is this also correct?
No issue here. I try both tls://dns.quad9.net and https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query one at a time. Did you run it from your client device?

46B81A20-ADB4-410C-AC37-7ECDEC5BF45E.jpeg

Another way of verification. You can install tcpdump from Entware.
Code:
opkg install tcpdump
Then, do a packet dump on port 853 or 443. It is easier to see with TLS port 853. With DOH (port 443), you may capture all https traffic including DOH.
Code:
tcpdump -i any -p port 853
tcpdump -i any -p port 443

It looks something like this with TLS:
Code:
Out IP <wan ip>.48055 > dns9.quad9.net.853: Flags [R.], seq 25, ack 25, win 769, options [nop,nop,TS val 2724917 ecr 1024403675], length 0
In  IP dns9.quad9.net.853 > <wan ip>.48055: Flags [R], seq 1741341273, win 0, length 0

Edit: I think the easiest way is to look at AGH query log.
1674666535709.png

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!