What's new

AsusWRT Merlin + Entware: no ftdi_sio.ko module to load.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sekapalle

New Around Here
I'm a newbie, so thanks in advance for your appreciated help and please don't care about my english.

I've an Asus NT-R66U on which I've installed and used for a certain time an old version of Merlin asuswrt + entware. I have got no problem in installing and using an usb to serial smartcard reader some months ago.

Last week I realized that my asus lost all its parameters without any reason and that it was unable to use entware (JFFS partition cleared).

Since I've seen there were newer releases of Merlin asuswrt, I decided to upgrade with new fw and I installed Merlin 374.43 and, afterward, entware.

Unlikely from the previous installation of the old fw, this time I've got in trouble with the functionality of the USB smartcard reader.

With dmesg I realized the Asus recognized the disposal as cellular modem so as suggested in the post

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91279

I tried to insert the commands

modprobe -r -v option.ko
insmod usbserial
insmod ftdi_sio

in the script services-start.sh so to load the new module ftdi_sio.ko, but without success.

Giving the same commands in telnet I realized that the system replies with a:
insmod: 'ftdi_sio.ko': module not found.

So I tried to give from telnet the command
modprobe ftdi_sio with the following answer:
modprobe: module ftdi_sio not found in modules.dep

I've found this file but I haven't found the relative raw in it.

So I searched for the module "ftdi_sio.ko" in the file system, without finding it.

Is it possible it was included in the compiled kernel of the previous release of Merlin asuswrt, while now it's not so?!?
What I've to do to solve my question?

Thanks for your help. Many regards

There is no sense to put ftdi_sio.ko into firmware.
I've made an archive of kernel modules which is compiled, but not present in firmware image. You may find ftdi_sio.ko here.

I really also like to load kernel modules on my AC66U. Running v 376.49_4 now on the router. The archive link above is not working. How can i load usbserial drivers. Especially ftdi_sio.ko. Thanks in advance.

I do really like to load kernelmodules on my AC66U. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Hi,
to : EsTeTicu

I saw on the forum you successfully compiled a kernel module for asuswrt-merlin running on ac68u. I plan to do the same ...just curious how you did it. Could you advise how to get started ?

I need to compile kmod-dm, kmod-loop, kmod-aes and kmod-sha module.

Best regards,
Kristian

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!