What's new

AutoBW: Automatically set QoS bandwidth using spdMerlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hotfix pushed for spdmerlin, please update. This should resolve errors in AutoBW. (why SQLite exports csvs with DOS line endings when running in a Unix environment is beyond me...)

This partially fixed my issue but I'm still getting syntax errors on the bottom half of the results (see below). I am also getting a chmod error when running the curl command, and which I just run manually to fix:

Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW/master/AutoBW" -o /jffs/scripts/AutoBW && chmod 755 AutoBW
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 16470  100 16470    0     0  24954      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 29463
chmod: AutoBW: No such file or directory

Code:
/jffs/scripts/AutoBW

TEST MODE: No changes will be made.

---------------- SPDMERLIN -------------
                 Download (Kbps)       Upload (Kbps)
               -------------------  -------------------
Test  1 of  2       92129.3               6062.1
Test  2 of  2       91392.0               5969.9
Average             91760.6               6016.0
Scale Factors          0.85                 0.85
Scaled Speeds       77996.5               5113.6

----------------- QOS ----------------
                 Download (Kbps)      Upload (Kbps)
               -------------------  -----------------
Previous              86016.0              5632.0
New (from above)      77996.5              5113.6
Scaling by              0.907               0.908

====================================== DOWNLOAD ======================================
               ----------------- RATE -----------------    ----------------- CEIL -----------------
Class            Previous (Kbps)        New (Kbps)           Previous (Kbps)         New (Kbps)
-----          -------------------  -------------------    -------------------  -------------------
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
 0                        0.0                0.0                       0.0                0.0

======================================= UPLOAD =======================================
               ----------------- RATE -----------------    ----------------- CEIL -----------------
Class            Previous (Kbps)        New (Kbps)           Previous (Kbps)         New (Kbps)
-----          -------------------  -------------------    -------------------  -------------------
 0                        0.0                0.0                       0.0                0.0

TEST MODE: No changes were made.

This partially fixed my issue but I'm still getting syntax errors on the bottom half of the results (see below). I am also getting a chmod error when running the curl command, and which I just run manually to fix:

Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW/master/AutoBW" -o /jffs/scripts/AutoBW && chmod 755 AutoBW
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 16470  100 16470    0     0  24954      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 29463
chmod: AutoBW: No such file or directory

Code:
/jffs/scripts/AutoBW

TEST MODE: No changes will be made.

---------------- SPDMERLIN -------------
                 Download (Kbps)       Upload (Kbps)
               -------------------  -------------------
Test  1 of  2       92129.3               6062.1
Test  2 of  2       91392.0               5969.9
Average             91760.6               6016.0
Scale Factors          0.85                 0.85
Scaled Speeds       77996.5               5113.6

----------------- QOS ----------------
                 Download (Kbps)      Upload (Kbps)
               -------------------  -----------------
Previous              86016.0              5632.0
New (from above)      77996.5              5113.6
Scaling by              0.907               0.908

====================================== DOWNLOAD ======================================

======================================= UPLOAD =======================================

TEST MODE: No changes were made.

@squidbilly insists to give the wrong command :p

The correct is
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW/master/AutoBW" -o /jffs/scripts/AutoBW && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/AutoBW

@squidbilly @maghuro @peepsnet What would be the best way of setting the config up as will most likely be using for streaming over vpn?

I currently get all C score on bufferbloat speedtest etc that was over vpn
over wan I got A C A+

so what's the best way of going about this to improve things?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
@squidbilly insists to give the wrong command :p

The correct is
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW/master/AutoBW" -o /jffs/scripts/AutoBW && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/AutoBW

@maghuro: Sorry but this is not loading the latest 2.0 version with the recently added command-line parameter functions, but 1.5.
You might consider using the following link to get version 2.0:
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW/development/AutoBW" -o /jffs/scripts/AutoBW && chmod 755 AutoBW

@maghuro: Sorry but this is not loading the latest 2.0 version with the recently added command-line parameter functions, but 1.5.
You might consider using the following link to get version 2.0:
Code:
curl "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/squidbillyms/AutoBW/development/AutoBW" -o /jffs/scripts/AutoBW && chmod 755 AutoBW
Yes, that link is for stable version

@squidbilly @maghuro @peepsnet What would be the best way of setting the config up as will most likely be using for streaming over vpn?

I currently get all C score on bufferbloat speedtest etc that was over vpn
over wan I got A C A+

so what's the best way of going about this to improve things?

Thanks guys :)
You have to put 85-90% of the speed you get over vpn.
Usually over vpn speeds are a little bit lower.

In my case, I have a 40/1 connection.
When I connect through vpn, I usually have 35/1 Mbps, so I manually put my qos values to 33/0.8 Mbps.

Yes, I live in Portugal, 5 km away from a big city, and this is the best connection I have.

When you see on news that Portugal is in the front of innovation, remember.... Only in the two biggest cities in the country. The rest of the country, and particularly the region of Alentejo where I live (known to be the stupid people in country), is mostly forgotten.

You have to put 85-90% of the speed you get over vpn.
Usually over vpn speeds are a little bit lower.

In my case, I have a 40/1 connection.
When I connect through vpn, I usually have 35/1 Mbps, so I manually put my qos values to 33/0.8 Mbps.

Yes, I live in Portugal, 5 km away from a big city, and this is the best connection I have.

When you see on news that Portugal is in the front of innovation, remember.... Only in the two biggest cities in the country. The rest of the country, and particularly the region of Alentejo where I live (known to be the stupid people in country), is mostly forgotten.
Thanks maghuro, does that mean i have to setup spdmerlin and autobw to use vpnclient?

When will 2.0 go live or is it still being tested?

Does this script auto update the QOS values when Speedmerlin runs or does it when AutoBW is done manually?

Does this script auto update the QOS values when Speedmerlin runs or does it when AutoBW is done manually?
I think its manual cause I havent seen it update at all...unless you have to setup internally.

I think its manual cause I havent seen it update at all...unless you have to setup internally.
I did see the option to take average of last 10 spdmerlin test which helps but was curious if there is a way to have it run a cron job with spdmerlin and update QOS values dynamically. I'd imagine with more people staying home no one is getting a consistent speed these days.

Hi

I moved the stats from Jffs to Usb in the menu for SpdMerlin. Since doing that I now get the error below when executing the AutoBW script.

Code:
ERROR: spdMerlin stats not found.
      Try again in a minute or two.
      If it still fails try running 'spdmerlin' first

Last edited:
Hi

I moved the stats from Jffs to Usb in the menu for SpdMerlin. Since doing that I now get the error below when executing the AutoBW script.

Code:
ERROR: spdMerlin stats not found.
      Try again in a minute or two.
      If it still fails try running 'spdmerlin' first
Same here. It appears that AutoBW doesn't recognize the new location of spdMerlin stats. Simply move the config and stats back to jffs until it is resolved.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!