What's new

AX86U: 160MHz at channel 100, no longer available? (UK unit)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
So this is weird. I used to be able to select channel 100 for a 160 MHz channel on my UK-bought AX86U. I had to wait 10 minutes due to the CAC requirement, but it worked.

Now for some reason it's no longer available, it's been several months since I last tried it. It only lets me select the non-DFS channels. Did they remove the functionality with a firmware update? Why would they do that... Anyone else seeing the same thing? If you have a Europe or UK-bought AX86U, could you please let me know if you're able to select a 160 MHz channel at or above channel 100?

So this is weird. I used to be able to select channel 100 for a 160 MHz channel on my UK-bought AX86U. I had to wait 10 minutes due to the CAC requirement, but it worked.

Now for some reason it's no longer available, it's been several months since I last tried it. It only lets me select the non-DFS channels. Did they remove the functionality with a firmware update? Why would they do that... Anyone else seeing the same thing? If you have a Europe or UK-bought AX86U, could you please let me know if you're able to select a 160 MHz channel at or above channel 100?

I find the settings/weUI interface logic to not be perfect. Try applying an intermediate setting first like ch Auto, and then retry your setting again... the options available can change under some setting sequences.

OE

I find the settings/weUI interface logic to not be perfect. Try applying an intermediate setting first like ch Auto, and then retry your setting again... the options available can change under some setting sequences.

OE
I tried it every which way, including selecting Auto first, rebooting, setting up a new network, etc. Channels 120-128 don't show up as an option for any channel width. But it seems highly unlikely that they disabled the channels with a firmware update, why would they do that...

Also, I can see channels 120-128 in the system log:

Code:
Channel Information                     
----------------------------------------
Channel 36    A Band
Channel 40    A Band
Channel 44    A Band
Channel 48    A Band
Channel 52    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 56    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 100    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 104    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 108    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 112    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 116    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 120    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 124    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 128    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

If anyone has a Europe or UK-bought AX86U, would love to know if you still have the option to use channels 120-128.

Last edited:
I tried it every which way, including selecting Auto first, rebooting, setting up a new network, etc. Channels 120-128 don't show up as an option for any channel width. But it seems highly unlikely that they disabled the channels with a firmware update, why would they do that...

Also, I can see channels 120-128 in the system log:

Code:
Channel Information                   
----------------------------------------
Channel 36    A Band
Channel 40    A Band
Channel 44    A Band
Channel 48    A Band
Channel 52    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 56    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 100    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 104    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 108    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 112    A Band, RADAR Sensitive
Channel 116    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 120    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 124    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 128    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140    A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive

If anyone has a Europe or UK-bought AX86U, would love to know if you still have the option to use channels 120-128.
You originally asked about "160 MHz channel at or above channel 100". Now you're asking specifically about channels 120-128. Is it just 120-128 that you don't have (which would limit the maximum bandwidth to 80MHz on channels 100 to 112)?

You originally asked about "160 MHz channel at or above channel 100". Now you're asking specifically about channels 120-128. Is it just 120-128 that you don't have (which would limit the maximum bandwidth to 80MHz on channels 100 to 112)?
Yes, because I figured out that the issue was I couldn't see channels 120-128 at all, regardless of what channel width I selected.

Okay I figured it out... The issue was AI Mesh. I have two older 802.11ac nodes. I rebooted the entire system through the AI Mesh menu (not just the main router). Then what happened was, the AX86U rebooted faster than the nodes and for a couple of minutes it was the only router in the system, and in that window of time I was able to see channels 120-128 and select channel 100 for 160 MHz. Then when the nodes came online, I again couldn't see channels 120-128 and the selected channel had switched to "Auto". However, I had already selected channel 100 for 160 MHz, and in 10 minutes the 5 GHz network came online. The nodes and other devices that don't support 160 MHz just connected at 80 MHz to channel 100 and everything seems to be working now...

This is really dumb, it wasn't an issue before. A recent firmware update must have messed it up. I hope Asus fixes it...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!