What's new

AX86U/CA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeffrey Young

Very Senior Member
Hi all. So I see a lot of AX86U/CA models popping up on the web. Many of them are listed as AX86U/CA-AX5700 Routers.

Despite a few searches on the web as looking through the Asus website, I can not find any reference to what the CA is all about?

Is it just a Canadian Model? More importantly, is Merlin supported on the AX86U/CA version? I know the AX5700 is (found info on that in the forum).

I did find the RT-AX86U/CA listed on a Canadian Staples web site. I doubt that it is anything special other than marketing hype. Routers sold in a country are usually set up for that country without ca model number change. Should support Merlin with no problems...but the Asus firmware is pretty good these days!

Ok. Thanks, that is what I thought, but wanted to be certain.

My current AC86U is in a rafter in the basement. Red, blue, green, black, who cares. No one ever sees it. Thanks for the price find @Tech9

Cheers

The gaming feature does not impress me. The greater processor over the AX68 is what I am after. Kinda hoping the red theme disappears with Merlin's software.

Last edited:
AX86U CPU has more cores, but whatever is using single core only will work the same. OpenVPN for example is single-threaded. What is more CPU needed for in your case? The red background stays with Asuswrt-Merlin, as far as I know.

Yes, if the 'red theme' disappeared with RMerlin firmware, I would be buying them too. (But it doesn't).

AX86U CPU has more cores, but whatever is using single core only will work the same. OpenVPN for example is single-threaded. What is more CPU needed for in your case? The red background stays with Asuswrt-Merlin, as far as I know.

No reason yet. That said, I do not want to purchase a router now, then another in a year time just because I needed the extra horse power. I am aware of the single thread applications. Thanks for the advise.

The red theme is something I guess I could get used to :) If I had too.

Yes, if the 'red theme' disappeared with RMerlin firmware, I would be buying them too. (But it doesn't).
I have the luxury of not being in a hurry, I think I will wait to see if they come on sale around boxing day.

Most have that luxury, a few aren't patient enough to realize it though. :)

Are you replacing the router the family says you can't play with?
If yes, the hardware inside doesn't matter - you can't play with it. :)

HA! No, my AC68U has a dead 2.4G radio, so it is literally a play thing for me to test new scripts, etc, that requires the router to be rebooted often. Testing ground before I move script/function to the production AC86U.

End game is to replace the AC86U (which has been going strong for three years - save replacing the power supply for something more beefy to rid myself of reboot hang) with the AX86U and move the AC86U to my Mom's to replace a a very old Asus N56U (which has been problem free, but alas, getting to be a security issue).

I would buy the new AX86U, play with it for a while, replace the AC86U and use it as my test platform. I won't send an AC86U to my parents.

I would buy the new AX86U, play with it for a while, replace the AC86U and use it as my test platform. I won't send an AC86U to my parents.

What can I say - she is 7 hours away and will get a Router that I know is solid, tested, and trouble free (particularly for me!). But, I certainly do get where you are coming from!! The thought has not gone unnoticed.

What can I say - she is 7 hours away and will get a Router that I know is solid, tested, and trouble free (particularly for me!). But, I certainly do get where you are coming from!! The thought has not gone unnoticed.
As I am sure @Tech9 will agree, as much as we may like our RT-AC86U routers for our own use, they are a potentially "poisoned gift" to pass along to friends and family, especially if they rely on your support and are many hours away, as these routers have an unfortunate mix of hardware issues that lead to premature failure.

Last edited: