What's new

AX86U - Firmware upgrade over a VPN connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueOrbit

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus AX86U setup at a remote location (latest Merlin firmware) and it runs VPN Server (OpenVPN and Wireguard), allowing me to access the administration page without any issues over VPN. Was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the firmware over VPN? I realize that I would lose the connection while the router resets itself after the upgrade. But after the reset I should be able to log back in.

So, wanted to as this question before I try this. Thanks for any input...

I have an Asus AX86U setup at a remote location (latest Merlin firmware) and it runs VPN Server (OpenVPN and Wireguard), allowing me to access the administration page without any issues over VPN. Was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the firmware over VPN? I realize that I would lose the connection while the router resets itself after the upgrade. But after the reset I should be able to log back in.

So, wanted to as this question before I try this. Thanks for any input...
I managed a couple of AC68U's remotely for several years over OpenVPN. Including firmware upgrades. Might be a good idea to have a fall back such as a PC on the remote LAN with Teamviewer or similar for you to do remote control.

I've been remote updating ASUS routers over VPN for about 4 years (including one on the other side of the world), although I usually wait until I'm onsite. There are a few things that can be done to help ensure success:
  • Reboot the router prior to updating. This helps ensure the router is working properly prior to flashing the update. I always do this.
  • Temporarily enable reboot scheduler. This may (or may not) bring a router back to life if something goes wrong with the remote update.
  • Temporarily enable https access from WAN. Obviously risky, but if the remote port is some non-standard high number, the chances of anyone finding it over a 1 hour period is pretty low.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!